Swingarm bolt stuck

2005 450X....I'm not sure if the swingarm has ever been greased. The bolt (#6) seems to be stuck in one of the collars (#7)

Sprayed everything down with penetrating oil last night...going to give it a go again today. Any ideas to help?

IMG_2139.JPG

Theres always one bolt - and its always that one  :banghead:

Have you got a blowtorch, drift and a big hammer ?

• Like 1

I would loosen the nut up (24) slightly, then hit the nut.   If you start pounding on the end of the rod (6), then you could mushroom it.    You might destroy the nut, but it's easy to replace.  Start with a heavy hammer giving it a good whack.   Move up to a small hand led sledge if it doesn't move with a few whacks (you may need to use a socket to extend it out far enough to hit it).   It's the shock you want to get it moving, not continually beating on it.  

If it still doesn't budge, then I'd warm up the swing arm a bit with some heat.   Just make sure you get the brake line out of the way and figure on new seals if you go too far<g>.

Once it's moving, and use a round punch on it.

Hope you have good luck with it.   If that doesn't get you anywhere, then it's the nuclear option, but we won't go there<g>.

Jim.

• Like 1

It moved!!!! Happy days...
I had to use a 4lb hammer!
I used the swingarm nut, but put it on backward and made sure the end of the bolt was recessed. The back side of the nut is flatter. Trying to use a socket was just tearing up the nut.
IMG_2141.JPGIMG_2142.JPG
I took a large bolt with a head about the size of the nut. I placed the flat head of the bolt against the nut on the swingarm bolt.
I stood on the opposite side of the bike to brace it and bent over the seat to whack it. I held that bolt with channel locks and took some good whacks. It took a few more before it moved.
I kept spraying oil and kept knocking the bolt back in before getting it out further. Never got to the point of using heat.
I'll post some pics of the parts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sofiedog said:

ok..trouble getting this linkage bolt out. It also holds lower roller...doesn't seem to thread out? Just punch it through from brake side using the nut again?IMG_2149.JPG

Yes it will slide through just like the swing arm pivot bolt did, this bolt always seems to be the toughest one to remove!

• Like 1

ok...you can see I'm spraying it down with penetrating oil...think I'll let it sit overnight and enjoy the victory of getting the swingarm bolt out. I'll tackle it in the morning and try a little heat from a butane torch...The bolt is really hard to turn, but will. The linkage rotates freely. I'm thinking it's stuck in those two aluminum ears off the frame. I think I'll heat those up.

Seeing those siezed bolts is giving me a round of PTSD from my XR250, and the link reminds me of my CR IIRC.

I had very distinct marks where the bushings and the bolt had corroded together. I have no advice other than good penetrating oil and a BFH. 

My bikes go back together with a shed load of grease and anti seize. Good luck with it.

Got it ! Really took a while...gotta have a 4 lb hammer...I think the heat helped too...not stuck on those alum ears...was stuck in the collar...I think the heat may help soften the stuff making it bind? After a while I tried heating the shaft directly...
Did the same thing...whacked the back of the nut til it became flush with the frame, then used a large drift punch...had to hit it pretty hard and stand on the opposite side of the frame to support itIMG_2151.JPGIMG_2152.JPGIMG_2153.JPG

• Like 1

yep, one side of the collar was dry, even with all that penetrating oil...
IMG_2154.JPG

Going to replace the needle bearings, seals and that collar...
Do you use a bearing puller on the outer race of the needle bearings?
IMG_2155.JPGIMG_2156.JPG

• Like 1

Yes it will slide through just like the swing arm pivot bolt did, this bolt always seems to be the toughest one to remove!

Thx, for some reason, it made me feel better that this was not uncommon...

Of course, I accept full responsibility for not greasing these regularly...I looked in the Honda 2005-2007 Service Manual for the recommended maintenance interval. They show Suspension to be inspected every 12 months or 1,200 miles. That's what I'll do...

Page 3-35 says to "Disassemble, clean, inspect the swingarm and shock linkage pivot bearings and related seals every about 7.5 hours of operation (page14-32). Lubricate and reassemble." ??????

Anyway, I can see an issue...there is no seal around the bolt that would prevent water from getting between the bolt and collar. The bolt is plated and will corrode. The steel on the collar also corrodes. The linkage still rotates on the needle bearings but the bolt gets locked to the collar.
IMG_2157.JPGIMG_2158.JPG

The bolt is reusable, but the plating is a bit corroded. Since the bike is a keeper, I'm thinking of buying a new bolt with fresh plating...
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:04 AM, Sofiedog said:

2005 450X....I'm not sure if the swingarm has ever been greased. The bolt (#6) seems to be stuck in one of the collars (#7)

Sprayed everything down with penetrating oil last night...going to give it a go again today. Any ideas to help?

IMG_2139.JPG

What I have learned over the years that swingarm removal (not in all cases) is to loosen motor mount bolts first! Sure helped last winter with a 14 CRF250r

• Like 1

Sofie, the bolt is fine. Just give it a quick polish and coat with anti-seize when you install it into the new bearing.

OK...don't want to waste money...was just worried bolt looks plated and some plating is gone in high corrosion areas. No prob to polish up a bit and coat with anti-seize...
Can you say more about the anti-seize stuff? different than grease? Should I put water-proof grease in all the bearings and anti-sieze where the bolts go through the collars?

What I have learned over the years that swingarm removal (not in all cases) is to loosen motor mount bolts first! Sure helped last winter with a 14 CRF250r

I see how that could help in some cases since the swingarm bolt goes through the crankcases...Are these just metal sleeves pressed in the back of crankcase? No seals or bushings? Just clean them up and use anti-seize?IMG_2159.JPG

37 minutes ago, Sofiedog said:

I see how that could help in some cases since the swingarm bolt goes through the crankcases...Are these just metal sleeves pressed in the back of crankcase? No seals or bushings? Just clean them up and use anti-seize?IMG_2159.JPG

Don't think their steel,maybe some sort of bronze material! There pretty darn hard! No seal,I'd just clean them up the best you can! Might try some scotchbrite

Looks like I'll be replacing bearings in the knuckle, too...I hope these are easy to get out...just knock out with a drift from the opposite side?
I was thinking about replacing all the bearings and seals, if not too difficult...
IMG_2160.JPG