Top Flanged Bolt on Rear Shock 10x45 (KX 100)

The top Flanged Bolt (10x45), part# 92151-1413 on Rear Shock on my daughters KX 100 is missing. And as expected, nobody has it in stock and I will have to order.

Does anyone know if I could just pick this bolt up from a hardware store, or is it best I order it from manufacture.

10 hours ago, KDXGarage said:

Where are the threads at on the hardware bolt? I would assume the stock bolt is flat where it contacts.

That is the problem with the hardware store bolt. The threaded length of the bolt will more than likely not work for you. You do not want any of the threaded portion inside of the bearing/bushing, or seals. You may get lucky and find something that is correct, but by the time you factor in the price of the cheap bolt, your time of searching and driving around to a couple different stores, the oem bolt is not that expensive.

• Like 1

I rounded up a bolt that was from a '16 KX 100. However my question is in regards to some of the other items in this attached picture.

It almost looks like I'm missing the Seal 92049 as well?

I have also attached a picture of the current rear shock. I have never dealt with this, so not sure if I can just put the bolt in and take off or need all that other stuff.

Capture.PNG

file-3.jpeg

10 hours ago, KDXGarage said:

Where are the threads at on the hardware bolt? I would assume the stock bolt is flat where it contacts.

My hardware store sells those bolts   :excuseme:

better go give them a hug, or even better your business

Ask them what hardness that "lowest bidder" Chinese bolt is compared to a Japanese bolt engineered to withstand the strain of that application.

No way in hell I'd put a cheapie Chinese bolt into that application. I am just picky that way.

OP, the seal is a combined metal / rubber piece. It is the silver ring in the picture.

Congrats on getting a real one.

• Like 1

Who said they were Chinese bolts ?

You think after restoring dirt bikes for 30 years i wouldnt know the difference ?

Pull your head out of your :moon:

1 hour ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Who said they were Chinese bolts ?

You think after restoring dirt bikes for 30 years i wouldnt know the difference ?

Pull your head out of your :moon:

How do you tell the difference? I am not sure I know.

In this guy's area, it is going to be a Chinese bolt at his local hardware store. He's not shopping at YOUR hardware store.

I'll save this thread from insulting you worse, then you have your turn. I'll focus on the right bolt for the job. You are telling some guy it is OK to put a Chinese bolt on a shock mount, then put his child on it.

"Just run on down to your local hardware store and buy a shouldered bolt that is smooth in the contact area and meets the design needs of that bolt." NOT GOING TO HAPPEN in this guys neighborhood.

On 02/08/2017 at 10:26 PM, Dustin Mobley said:

I rounded up a bolt that was from a '16 KX 100. However my question is in regards to some of the other items in this attached picture.

It almost looks like I'm missing the Seal 92049 as well?

I have also attached a picture of the current rear shock. I have never dealt with this, so not sure if I can just put the bolt in and take off or need all that other stuff.

Capture.PNG

They are dust covers to seal the bearing and bush - you can get those as well with the bolt. If you do pick up the bolt from the hardware store - make sure its a hardened bolt.

I think KDXGarage had something to say a few posts back   :excuseme:

take it from someone that works in the fastener industry 99% of bolts are made in china , is this a problem ? ....no they are all tested in batches by an independent party to prove that they comply to relevant standards

long story short an metric bolt 8.8 is a metric bolt 8.8 no matter who makes it

if the shank length is an issue get one that is longer and trim the excess thread off 

don't over think it , if you are worried about the strength of the bolt get a socket cap screw but i honestly don't think you will have a problem 

Edited by kxrob

21 hours ago, kxrob said:

take it from someone that works in the fastener industry 99% of bolts are made in china , is this a problem ? ....no they are all tested in batches by an independent party to prove that they comply to relevant standards

long story short an metric bolt 8.8 is a metric bolt 8.8 no matter who makes it

if the shank length is an issue get one that is longer and trim the excess thread off 

don't over think it , if you are worried about the strength of the bolt get a socket cap screw but i honestly don't think you will have a problem 

not at my Kawasaki dealer :)

On 04/08/2017 at 1:57 AM, 351mustanger said:

I still want to know how to tell what country a bolt comes from before buying it.

You can't tell by the bolt

Edited by kxrob