Still get a 2017, or wait til 2018?

Hello all!

I'm sure we've been plagued with the question lately, Should I get a 2017 or wait to get a 2018? Locally there is a guy selling their 2017 Model 300rr Race Edition with only 46 Hours, and 600 miles on it, Just trails ridden by the description Has some extras like sxs skid, p3 pipe guard. I do not think the bike has been ridden hard as there just doesn't seem to have any wear anywhere to be seen in the pictures. He wants $7500 for it. Which is pretty reasonable I think since You'd pay just over $10k at the dealer for this same bike, Savings of around $3k

Now, Since 2018 is the year for a complete overhaul in the whole bike, plastics and all with just over 10lbs lost and improvements in power and "rideability", Should I just spend the 10-11k and get the newer bike? Or can 10+lbs be lost with the 2017 model and an aftermarket clutch with professional porting be done to better it? I'd be looking at the race edition since it does come with the stiffer suspension and the extra bling.

Looking for opinions.

00000_fx4wXHZLUjM_1200x900.jpg

00M0M_iQYTetgPsKE_1200x900.jpg

00q0q_3GtrZCF7HXB_1200x900.jpg

00Q0Q_d1DLC4zHMZk_1200x900.jpg

00r0r_8X47M3XoVMs_1200x900.jpg

01313_8BDqQ03bs4D_1200x900.jpg

• Like 2

For me I would go with the '18. I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for something used and I tend to be cheap! 

To me the biggest benefits of the 18 having not ridden or even seen one would be the motor and frame changes. Plus in 2 or 3 years an 18 will seem a lot better than a 17 and that money you saved won't make any difference. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ccullins said:

For me I would go with the '18. I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for something used and I tend to be cheap! 

To me the biggest benefits of the 18 having not ridden or even seen one would be the motor and frame changes. Plus in 2 or 3 years an 18 will seem a lot better than a 17 and that money you saved won't make any difference. 

I agree with this.  I'd be happy to spend the extra $3K for something brand new and with a 6 month warranty.  

There is a LOT of wear off the clutch cover for only 600 miles and 46 hours granted they are all off-road miles.  I'd buy a 2018.  

• Like 4

Get the 2017 for that price, you save a lot of money and the bike has very little wear. I have 30 hours on my 2017 300RR Race Edition and that bike is in much better condition than mine. I absolutely love my 2017 and the suspension is superb. Plus you still get a kick starter on this model if that matters to you.

Tbh new is always better :D

I have a 18 now with 13hours on it, to me it does feel lighter especially when doing pivot turns. I tell my mates not to be in a rush to upgrade from the 17 models they have, they are every bit as good. 

Edited by Neomxdave
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Neomxdave said:

Tbh new is always better :D

I have a 18 now with 13hours on it, to me it does feel lighter especially when doing pivot turns. I tell my mates not to be in a rush to upgrade from the 17 models they have, they are every bit as good. 

What model did you get. Photos man, share the love. Yours is the 1st I have heard of in a customers hands.

36 minutes ago, afm774 said:

From a monetary perspective the 17' makes more sense. From my perspective, seeing that you have  bike to ride for now, I'd wait for the 18'

That is an interesting perspective as moneywise, a dirtbike is a total waste of money no matter what the cost.  It is the very definition of a First World Problem, whether to waste $10,000 or $7,000 on a machine to ride around in circles either through the forest, desert or some track.  Might as well buy two 2013 bikes for $3,500 each and double the fun/waste.  

Anyone that has the means to consider buying new should treat him or herself to one.  I just did and I consider myself so fortunate I did as I'm loving my new bike.  

A $10,000 loan at 1.9% after 3 years pays about $300 in interest over the term of the loan.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Justinsavs said:

I think I'll go ahead and buy a new bike. Like you all said. $3k in the long run is barely negligible. Hopefully August is the month. I'll update with pictures when I get it.

What part of Idaho, St Maries? There are a few of us from Idaho on here.

Revolution Motorsports Moscow is one of the best dealers around.

I bought a 13 300rr a year old for 7k. It got stolen and I bought a brand new 15 300rr for over 10. I love my bike but if my 13 300rr wasn't stolen I'd be perfectly happy. The new bikes don't come with kickers so I'd be buying that to add on too. I would be happy either way but I would buy the cheaper used . I'm not so sure it's much of a difference. My 2015 had upgrades from the 2013 I had. The 2015 is the same upgraded motor as the 2014 race edition from 2014. It's not a real big difference although there's the option of a map switch. Honestly the 2018 seems to be just more refinements from 2013 Beta . It's not a major change like how Ktm has changed from 2016 to 2017. If I had a 2016 Ktm I would guarantee buy a 17 Ktm. I pick buying the used Beta. I kind of have been in your shoes but didn't have a Ktm as backup.. a couple other bikes though.?too many bikes.. hard to keep up.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider