All,

I am sure this has been covered before but the thread I have seen did not address my exact situation. I ride a KX250 2 stroke and I am looking for a good action cam to capture some riding vids.

Problem is I am not a huge fan of helmet mounting because the high up perspective makes the well known phenomena of hills and other obstacles looking less bad than they are in person even worse and there is the issue of weight on the helmet and the possibility of breaking the mount off during a crash (I ride pretty hard and am not above trying a few hill climbs that are only BARELY a "maybe"). So with my mounting choices limited to somewhere on the bike I have run into a problem... Both my phone (in a mount I 3D printed) and a cheapy Wal-Mart gopro knock off resulted absolutely TERRIBLE video.. The 2 stroke vibration made the video almost unwatchable. On the knock-off gopro it was simply shaky but on the 2 separate phones both with built in optical image stabilization and some of the best cameras on the market (Galaxy S8 and Microsoft Lumia 950 XL) the video got some weird effects... Looked like the image was printed on a poster and poster was set on a surface with many curves (sorry its sort of hard to describe... I assume it was some sort of interaction between the bike's vibration and the image stabilization system).

So with that said: Any action cams that will work for me? Cheaper is obviously better but I am not above spending $400 on a nice GoPro... Just want to know its gonna work and I won't be stuck with a $400 camera that does the same thing my phones did (the gopro also uses optical image stabilization after all).

Anyone 2 stroke riders here using an action cam mounted ON the bike itself with good results? What are you using?

Thanks.

Video from cameras mounted on the bike itself will never be optimal, unless you mount the camera in a gimbal and mount that whole assembly to the bike.

I'm on my 3rd camera, last 2 being GoPros. I currently run the GoPro Hero 5 black. There was nothing wrong with my 4 Black. I bought the 5 totally for its built in image stabilization. The 5s' trail video is so much smoother it's incredible. I run the camera under the helmet visor, out of harms way. Weight is not an issue and it doesn't obstruct my field of view.

There's also the chin mount that works very well. There are some very good aftermarket chin mounts.

If you want good video, spend the time to learn the camera functions, settings and the related GoPro Studio program for your PC for editing your footage.

The Hero 4 and 5 got a recent firmware update with a new video setting called Linear that is very close to the Wide view but the camera takes care of Fish Eye "on the fly". Works really well, but I think I'm going back to the wide setting and doing the fish eye processing with Studio.

I've tried the chest mount too, affixing a mount base to the front of my chest protector. It's a neat perspective if you get it aimed right. The thing I didn't like about it is that perspective changes between sitting and standing. If you set it for standing, it's going to be pointed too high for sitting and visa versa.

Oh, and I ride a KTM 300 2 stroke.

Edited by Trailryder42

Thanks for the tip. Sadly sounds like there is no quick easy way to have a bike mount work decently... Real bummer cause I used to capture some cool video when I was into rock crawling by mounting cam just behind front axle... You could see the drivers tires at the edge of the frame and it did a really good job showing the terrain. Guess 2 strokes and cameras just don't mix.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mudd94 said:

The Sony has a stabilizing feature.  That's about your only option for mounting on the bike

ETA:  https://www.theverge.com/2016/9/9/12735038/sony-action-cam-4k-optical-image-stabilization

My phones both feature optical image stabilization as I mentioned. It is amazing tech for normal use but didn't help when I put it on the bike and caused some odd effects. Hero 5 has it as well which is why I wondered if it would work or if it would have the same effects.

I have a GoPro Hero5 Session with low profile helmet mount. Much smaller, lighter (and cheaper) than the standard GoPro.  Image stabilization is excellent.  It's waterproof out of the box, and I can control it with an app for my Samsung gear watch.  Pretty trick piece of kit. 

Here's video from my dog's perspective.

6 minutes ago, ninjabones said:

I have a GoPro Hero5 Session with low profile helmet mount. Much smaller, lighter (and cheaper) than the standard GoPro.  Image stabilization is excellent.  It's waterproof out of the box, and I can control it with an app for my Samsung gear watch.  Pretty trick piece of kit. 

Here's video from my dog's perspective.

Interesting... I have a gear watch that I used to control my phones camera... Plan was to use the printed mount with gear to start and preview recording but vibrations killed that idea.

Did not realize Gopro could be controlled with Gear watch too...

The app is called gopro shutter.  Not perfect,  as connectivity can be a bit sporadic.   However,  the gear watch with this app is great for riding (in truth,  its the only time I wear it).  I can see and respond to texts from my wife without having to pull out my phone (I use buddy beacon on viewranger when riding alone,  and she gets nervous if she sees me standing still for a while... I send a text of I'm taking a break out on  the trail so she doesn't freak out:)   I can also view video to ensure camera mount position is correct (no screen on the gopro session).   If only viewranger or mapmyride had a gear app (for way points, stop start recording,  etc), I'd be totally satisfied. 

Edited by ninjabones

The Hero 5 also has voice control. I've been using it during riding to control the camera. Works decent when there's not a lot of background noise, like your bike running.

I think the video from the stabilized Hero 5 looks much better and is easier to watch than the non stabilized Hero 4 video. I kind of wonder tho if processing both stab and fish eye on the fly at the same time is a little much for the camera. That's why I'm going back to fixing fish eye in post.

Seems to me that battery life on the Hero 5 is better too.

Forgot about the Hero 5 Session. Nice camera too, just not as many resolution and exposure options. I film in 2k 60fps.

Here's a few 1 minute trailryding snips. Watch the trees as they pass to see that the Linear mode does a good job with processing fish eye on the fly.

Of coarse, YT compresses the hell out of it. Better to watch it on YT itself instead linked here.

Edited by Trailryder42

Thanks all. I think I will actually go for the Session. I don't like the fisheye look but the new linear mode seems like the way to go and I want small and light if I am going with helmet mount which sounds like my best bet. Probably won't shoot anything higher than 1080 for now anyway (card space and the fact that I don't even own a 4K TV).

Next I just need to get a drone... Videos of biking/general 4 wheeling I have seen on YT look SWEET.

Before you go spending money on a drone, look at the laws and how drone manufacturers now implement software in the drone that disables the drone when it's gps detects you're in a restricted zone.

I had heard that but I doubt very much I will be riding in any no fly zone... I mainly ride in the Daniel Boone National Forest in eastern KY/Western WVA or at pay to play places within a couple states. None of theme are near the whitehouse or anything like that.

EDIT: Speaking of drones... Anyone have any experience with filming riding using one? Anyone tried using the auto-follow some manufacturers now have with a bike?

Edited by duncanstives

On 8/1/2017 at 2:15 PM, Trailryder42 said:

Before you go spending money on a drone, look at the laws and how drone manufacturers now implement software in the drone that disables the drone when it's gps detects you're in a restricted zone.

you mean, an airport ? I don't normally ride through airports ! lol

I use a $40 (that's forty, not four hundred like the gopro!) activeon from target now. it has Wi-Fi and replaceable batteries that last about two hours each. it also runs via USB charging as a dash cam. no way I'm going back to the $400+ cameras from gopro again. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ohgood said:

you mean, an airport ? I don't normally ride through airports ! lol

I use a $40 (that's forty, not four hundred like the gopro!) activeon from target now. it has Wi-Fi and replaceable batteries that last about two hours each. it also runs via USB charging as a dash cam. no way I'm going back to the $400+ cameras from gopro again. 

Got any YouTube videos from it so we can see the quality? I'm all for saving $360

Go pro hero 5 session, mount it under the visor of your helmet. It didn't interfere with your ability to see clearly and it won't get broken off by a misplaced limb. The perspective of the video is like you're riding the bike while watching the video.

Sent from my XT1254 using ThumperTalk mobile app

I am really looking into the Yi action camera. I am all for getting a quality product without the huge name markup.

I've been looking at videos people have made with them, specs, reviews and what not. Seems like a good alternative.

Sent from my SM-J320P using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 2

The only other thing to consider is your video editing skills. I have none, so the apps that go pro has pretty much do it for you to an extent and makes the videos shareable with text messages and social media.

Sent from my XT1254 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Tried one of them $40 cams first. Its OK accept for the vibrations (which should be solved by getting off the bike) but battery life is VERY short on the one I tried and video while ACCEPTABLE is definitely not great and sound is truly awful. Plus with no app to preview footage on phone you have to be able to see camera screen which hard if its on your helmet.

Guess its sort of a get-what-you-pay-for type thing... Gropros also FEEL much more durable though I haven't had the cheapy long enough to say how tough it actually is.

I think your options open up a lot more if you can ditch the bike mount idea. That type of mount is going to necessitate a lot more effective stabilization. If you can settle for some sort of body or helmet mount, you get into more options, many of which are much cheaper.

For instance, I just bought a GoPro hero 3 black edition on eBay with a ton of mounts, attachments, and an extra battery for $90. I've only used it twice so far, but the image is great, it's easy to use, and I didn't have any problems with stability (just had it mounted on top of my visor). I'm gonna work out a way to mount it under my visor so it isn't as vulnerable and gives a more realistic perspective, but the main point I'm trying to make is your body pretty much stabilizes your head anyway, so it's much easier to get good looking footage with some sort of body or helmet mount IMO. I don't know much about GoPros, but I thought $90 was a steal for a mint hero 3 black with extras. Deals can be had. I saw the one I bought with no reserve and 6 minutes left on the auction, so I just jumped on it without doing any research since it seemed like a good price.

If I were to do it all over again, I might have looked into the Yi. They seem to offer many of the same features (more in some instances) and look like great quality for around half the price. The only thing I would question is that there may not be as many aftermarket goodies and whatnot to get for them, but from what I understand they can use the same mounts as a GoPro. The batteries are also MUCH cheaper for the Yi, they're like $3-4 vs. $15-20 for GoPro batteries.

On 8/1/2017 at 1:25 PM, Trailryder42 said:

I run the camera under the helmet visor, out of harms way

what mount do you use for this?  I just picked up a hero 5 black