thinks to look for on used bike

Looking at a 2013 DR650SE on Craigslist and wonder what specifics I should look for to keep from buying a lemon. I have owned alot of bikes, but not Suzukis.

Also considering a Honda XR650l, if anyone has opinions on one or the other. Thanks

Well to hell with all of you!! I went and bought a 2013 DR tonight anyway. :p

Edited by dogeddie
  • Like 2

The DR is a fun bike, I've had my '06 since '07 and I enjoy it, its a low maintenance bike. How used is yours? The only thing to really worry about is the transmission as there have been some 3rd gear failures that have been ugly.  I have almost 20K on my DR and it seems OK, and I run it pretty hard sometimes. I have done suspension work to the bike, unless you weigh about 130lbs. you will need some suspension work too. I also did some some engine work to gain more performance. If you still have the stock Trailwing tires on your bike remember that they are decent for pavement, very sketchy in mud, beware. Google drriders.com   its the site you need to look at if you have a DR.

Thanks. It only has 1,000 miles on it, so still looks new. Pick it up from the guy tonight. Seems very lean and pops on decel, not sure if these bikes have an emission system that may cause that.

Thanks for the tips. Odd about the 3rd gear issue. Is there a preventative measure for it?

Just spotted this post ~ I don't go to ThumperTalk every hour...

As for a DR650, I've got over 26,000 miles on a stock internal engine and it still starts and runs fine.  If the decal pop bothers you then install a jet kit.  If you want more power then buy a TM Pumper off of Pro Cycle or convert a FCR.  When you do that you might as well cut the top of the air box for more flow and install a different muffler.  Again Pro Cycle has just come out with a new muffler for our DR's and I highly recommend it. 

Personally I cut the air box, installed an FCR (modified by MXrob) and installed a 35fo GSXR muffler.  You would not believe the difference in power and response, those changes will totally transform your DR. 

Suspension ...  It's a can of worms, because everyone seems to have a different opinion.  My best recommendation is to really decide how you plan on riding your bike and then tune the suspension for that.  I ride mostly two lane and gravel roads, plus I'm 5'7" 175, so I set the front and rear suspension at the factory "Low" settings, installed heavier fork springs and I'm happy.  Others have spent big dollars on reworking the shock and forks or even replaced them totally, I don't see the point but they do.

But everyone agrees that there's a lot of power to be had by opening up the air box, doing something with the carb and a different exhaust. 

Thanks. My Honda 250X decel pop was caused by the emissions smog valve which I removed. I don't necessarily mind the pop on the DR; I just want to know why it pops and if the engine is too lean, or is it due to something similar to the Honda.

Thank you for the tips to get me started. Do you guys rejet when you cut the airbox I assume? For now I will probably leave the carb/air box alone unless I find something I don't like after I get used to the bike for awhile.

You said you have 26k miles on a stock engine, but list alot of mods you did. No comprendo?

Also - I doubt the PO checked the valves or did any preliminary post break in checks. Anyone have info on that process for a DR or when it is recommended?

Edited by dogeddie

Decel pop is normal, you can minimize it with some carb adjustments. Your stock DR will be very lean and you may have noticed it surging at lower throttle settings. Well, thats normal too. If you perform the air box mod the stock jetting will be ok but you will need to gain access to the air fuel screw to adjust mixture. The stock BST carb is not the best carb for this bike but it can be made to perform much better with some easy inexpensive mods. The 650 can be a noisey engine and you can hear the valve train, I wouldn't worry about the valves as much as I would worry about fresh oil. Check your valves during your 5K mile service.

If you are serious about your DR, you will find the answers to ALL of your questions on drriders.com   Lots of friendly DR owners over there. Have fun!

Edited by jonboat

23 hours ago, dogeddie said:

Thanks. My Honda 250X decel pop was caused by the emissions smog valve which I removed. I don't necessarily mind the pop on the DR; I just want to know why it pops and if the engine is too lean, or is it due to something similar to the Honda.

Thank you for the tips to get me started. Do you guys rejet when you cut the airbox I assume? For now I will probably leave the carb/air box alone unless I find something I don't like after I get used to the bike for awhile.

You said you have 26k miles on a stock engine, but list alot of mods you did. No comprendo?

Also - I doubt the PO checked the valves or did any preliminary post break in checks. Anyone have info on that process for a DR or when it is recommended?

When I say that the engine is stock, even though I have modified the air box, changed the carb and install a different muffler ~ I haven't done anything to the engine internally.  It still has the original cam, piston, etc. so again nothing internal to the engine has been altered.  But if you rode it next to a completely stock bike you'd swear that it has had major surgery and that just goes to show that there's huge potential in the DR650 just by doing a few small (but expensive) things to it.

From a newer post, "Yes", whenever you visit Pro Cycle it's best to surrender all credit cards over to a trusted friend, otherwise it could get really expensive in a very short time.