89 ethanol free or 93 with ethanol KTM 2017 xcf 450

Ethanol won't hurt such a new bike... Lower octane PROBABLY won't either... Pretty sure these new bikes have knock sensors and retard the timing if they get knock.

That said run 95 or you'll be down on power at LEAST (if bikes doesn't have knock sensor it could knock and maybe damage it)... Wouldn't worry about Ethanol as your bike was made at a time when Ethanol had been a common fuel additive for years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dirtbikedaddy said:

Just wondering whats the better option. Manual recommends 95 octane but ive heard ethanol free is the way to go.

Sent from my Z956 using ThumperTalk mobile app

I'm running lower octane ethanol free in my 17' KTM 690 Enduro R that calls for premium. No issues. Say no to corn in your tank! ;)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, dirtbikedaddy said:

So you dont think ethanol will mess up the fi?  What about octane booster? 

The big issue with ethanol is when you let the bike sit for weeks without riding it. It will separate from the gas and clog up the carb/injectors. A fuel stabilizer will prevent this. 

It will also cause swelling of some plastic gas tanks (Ducati) and dissolve some rubber fuel lines.. (Husky chainsaw). :thumbsdn: 

Run whatever the manufacturer recommend, nothing else (unless for emergency of course)
It all has to do with timing. When the gas will ignite. Wrong octane will ignite too soon or too late.

55 minutes ago, dirtbikedaddy said:

Well i ride about 4x a week so sitting isnt really and issue. But 95 8s recommend and 93 is all i can find you think that will be ok?

Sent from my Z956 using ThumperTalk mobile app

pretty sure the 95 is a European rating and our 93 is equivalent. 93 is fine

• Like 1

I only run 100 low lead (Av gas) in my 15 450 and my 300xc. Both bikes run crisp and cool, never worry about the fuel gumming up the carbs. The two stoke doesn't leak a drop of oil out the exhaust either. 

You guys try the vp T4.  100 octane, slightly oxygenated and is ethanol free. Made for stock or slightly modded bikes. Is a premium 93 replacement.  It's storable and doesn't gum up.    Awesome, consistent fuel that adds some power