FX fuel pump quit

An hour into my ride my bike died. Felt like it ran out of gas. Fuel pump is not priming so I'm assuming the pump is not working. I have not heard of any fuel pump issues on these bikes. Anyone know where to start or possible causes? 

My Beta and KTM buds had a great laugh! 

image.jpeg

Yes, getting spark, fuel in the tank. Pump is not firing. Any issues with relays on these? Bike has been dead reliable until tonight. 

Relay under seat. Haven't seen a problem on the 250FX but it happened to a buddy's 450FX at McNutt an hour into his ride. Changed relay and it hasn't been a problem since... 

27 minutes ago, Monk said:

Relay under seat. Haven't seen a problem on the 250FX but it happened to a buddy's 450FX at McNutt an hour into his ride. Changed relay and it hasn't been a problem since... 

Which one Monk? 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Pull the plug off of the fuel pump and see if you have voltage. May have to hit the start button.  Do you have a volt meter or test light?

9 hours ago, Talltexan said:

Pull the plug off of the fuel pump and see if you have voltage. May have to hit the start button.  Do you have a volt meter or test light?

No I always end up borrowing one. 

Red circle is the main relay, and the 15 amp fuse is the main fuse.

IMG_1280.JPG.cc69d9daf02675619a1c7ff2881a3fc7.JPG

The green circle is the radiator fan relay, and the starter relay. 

IMG_1281.JPG.c3083d96c8aa793b3df29b6d1e7a9179.JPG

The main relay is number 6 and responsible for a lot more than just the fuel pump. If the bike has spark, and will crank over it's not the main relay that failed. 

IMG_0862.JPG.ca9639ecab431d9dad2e654a220971fc.JPG

IMG_0863.thumb.JPG.b4219a1fdb11ec4d6622ea23195bae48.JPG

On my bike I was having issues of stalling and it wouldn't restart with the button or kicker...it lost all electrical power. I dug and dug until I found what is called a "Joint connector" #2 on the schematic had loose terminals inside the connector. I had to back each one out and slightly tighten the crimp on each one to make a better contact with the male spade. What this connector does is take one power wire and split the power to 4 other wires. It powers (from the main fuse) the main relay, fuel pump, fuel injector, coil, and the starter circuit.

IMG_0864.JPG.84958e79dac003a0cb33d178a1b3e939.JPG

Edited by Bricktop72
  • Like 3

Are you riding the bike with no number plates?

Looks a lot of mud on the electrics back there.

I run a carbon fiber cover on mine.  I don't know why Yamaha left all that electronics out in the open.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bricktop72 said:

Red circle is the main relay, and the 15 amp fuse is the main fuse.

IMG_1280.JPG.cc69d9daf02675619a1c7ff2881a3fc7.JPG

The green circle is the radiator fan relay, and the starter relay. 

IMG_1281.JPG.c3083d96c8aa793b3df29b6d1e7a9179.JPG

The main relay is number 6 and responsible for a lot more than just the fuel pump. If the bike has spark, and will crank over it's not the main relay that failed. 

IMG_0862.JPG.ca9639ecab431d9dad2e654a220971fc.JPG

IMG_0863.thumb.JPG.b4219a1fdb11ec4d6622ea23195bae48.JPG

On my bike I was having issues of stalling and it wouldn't restart with the button or kicker...it lost all electrical power. I dug and dug until I found what is called a "Joint connector" #2 on the schematic had loose terminals inside the connector. I had to back each one out and slightly tighten the crimp on each one to make a better contact with the male spade. What this connector does is take one power wire and split the power to 4 other wires. It powers (from the main fuse) the main relay, fuel pump, fuel injector, coil, and the starter circuit.

IMG_0864.JPG.84958e79dac003a0cb33d178a1b3e939.JPG

Great info, thanks so much! 

4 minutes ago, beezer said:

Are you riding the bike with no number plates?

Looks a lot of mud on the electrics back there.

I run a carbon fiber cover on mine.  I don't know why Yamaha left all that electronics out in the open.

I run a cover as well, lots of puddles my way! 

Got it fixed. Tested the pump with direct power and it wouldn't run. Figured it was bad. Was right about to order a new one and figured I better pull the old one out first and bam! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Once recommendation for a fuel injected bike...try not to run the tank low habitually. The fuel cools the pump, and constantly running it low can allow it to overheat. Probably not the cause of your failure, but no reason to be hard on that new $350 pump. 

• Like 2