Drz Mod Question

I want to modify Drz 400sm, I am considering installing hot cams and mrd z-pro full exhaust?

Is this exhaust to loud for commuting?

What is the db level?

I don't really want to big bore my z just yet, but some have mentioned that mrd z- pro works better with kit & fcr 39mx.

Currently the fcr 39mx is pretty expensive, should I get a milder carb better suited for commuting? (& More Affordable?)

Or should I save up and purchase the fcr 39mx so that I can do the upgrades in 1 sweep?

Also will running 15/39, 15/38, or 15/37

Take alot of the edge off of the power response making it more commutable?

I appreciate your insight in advance.

I have a S, my understanding is the mrd
Is pretty loud. I believe yoshi make a full exhaust for it. Jet kit will be needed with the 3x3 mod.
What do you mean by more commutable? I have stock gearing on the S and commute to work everyday without problems (in town and some Hwy)

The MRD is loud. Is it too loud? Well, that's for you to decide, but it's too loud for me. My Yosh RS2 is borderline too loud for me so take what I say with a grain of salt. But I can tell you, day in and day out an excessively loud exhaust starts to wear on your nerves.

• Like 1

Most common first performance mods for the drz will be 3x3 mod and full exhaust.  Consensus will be MRD will make will make more slightly power in endgame with other down the road mods (cams, BB, carb stroker), and is also loudest.  Personally I think yoshi RS2 sounds and looks better (especially shortened) and performs well.  If a FCR mx is out of your budget, try researching budget FCR options on TT, a little more work but many have done it successfully provided tutorials. IMO your stock 15-41 gearing should be fine w a stock setup, if you decide to regear do it later down the road when its time for new sprockets and chain, and you have done a few more upgrades.  I find 15-39 to be comfortable w 3x3 BB cams EX and fcr 39, not sure if it would be underpowered w/ stock setup.

MRD is hands down the best exhaust if extensive mods (BBK, stroker crank, big carb, lumpy cams) is your plan.  Noise is your friend on the road, let cagers and tree huggers deal with it.   If you're handy, look up Ebrabaek's carbon fiber muffler build for his MRD.  Key to less noise is more internal muffler volume.  My MRD muffler died, adapted 4in stainless exhaust tubing and the noise reduction is significant (stainless is a tad heavier).

15/39 is the best gearing, 16/39 is great in town but 70 to 80 mph accel suffers for stock to mild modded SM's.

Poor man's FCR is a Keihin CVK40 (KLR-650), I should have done this than spend jetting $$ on the BSR-36.

Skills development is encouraged here, seen owners that can't swing a wrench become proficient mechanics.  It's up to you, everyone here is ready to help.

• Like 3