Mouthguards while riding bikes

Hi, my boyfriend is a passionate bike racer and his birthday is on this August. When I asked him what gift he wanted for his birthday, he told me that I could gift him anything. I think he would be pleased if I gifted him anything that is related to bikes.

Last month, he met with an accident and he fell down from the bike. Luckily, his life was saved. He was left with some bruises on his face. That too could have been avoided if he used any sort of safety measures. He already has a helmet, but he is lazy to wear it.

When I discussed this with my best friend, she asked me to purchase custom mouthguards from Mississauga and gift him on his birthday. I think it is a good idea. Is there anybody over here who has used mouthguards before? Was it cost-worthy? Can it be worn while riding bikes?

I almost always wear a mouth guard when riding. I have a custom fit piece that my dentist had made. 

I tend to get horrible migraine headaches from clinching my jaw when riding (also have a TMJ issue that flares up often) and using a mouth guard has definitely helped. 

Saying that, if your boyfriend doesn't wear a helmet, a mouth guard won't help much. Don't need a mouth guard when you're a vegetable being fed through a straw.

• Like 2

This is in regards to Motocross right?   I don't think a mouth guard would do all that much.  Great idea though!  Thats the job of the already existing mouthpiece that sticks out in front of the helmet.  If your BF has problems of clenching his jaw while riding,(like the above comment) than it would be a worthy investment.  Otherwise no.  Does he have cheap goggles?  Junky boots?  Those are some things I know i would appreciate for my birthday lol.  Good luck with your choice!  Or is his birthday already over? lol :o