Why don't they use trials bikes at Erzberg?

I was watching the Erzberg race a few weeks ago and it occurred to me: why doesn't anyone use a trials bike?  It would need to have enough power/top end to get up the crazy hills.  I think knobbies would be the best choice for tires.  The low seat height and light weight of the trials bikes would seem to be a big advantage in the crazy rock/hill sections.

Any thoughts?

2 minutes ago, KennyMc said:

Do you have to always ride the same bike?

I have no clue. :confused:

I know most of them are sponsored by KTM/Husqvarna, and they don't make trials bikes, so that may be an issue.

Edited by Jim_B
  • Like 1

They'd surely be better in the extreme rocky sections like Carl's dinner... But I don't think they'd make it up many of the big loose hills where you need lots of power.

You'd also have no chance against the big bikes off the start and the initial hills which would make you susceptible to bottle necks and other chaos.  I'm sure if it would be advantageous there'd be some guys doing it..

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SilentAssassin II said:

They'd surely be better in the extreme rocky sections like Carl's dinner... But I don't think they'd make it up many of the big loose hills where you need lots of power.

You'd also have no chance against the big bikes off the start and the initial hills which would make you susceptible to bottle necks and other chaos.  I'm sure if it would be advantageous there'd be some guys doing it..

I agree, I can't believe none of them have thought of it before.  It's just that SO MUCH of that race is the slow, rocky, super-steep hilly stuff.

I think someone needs to put an enduro engine in a trials frame. :ride:

Being a Trials guy and loving trials I can say a trials bike would be horrible for it. 

First you would get killed in qualifying. Next is Trials bikes aren't good on steep loose hills or anywhere else that is fast. Sure Carl's dinner would be easier, but from what I've seen of the event that might be about the only spot it would be an advantage. 

• Like 2

A guy came over and raced our hare scramble on a gas gas 280 trials. He won the 45min beginner race, so he entred the 2hr main in C class and won it. He had gas stashed in the woods at a couple places.  I tried to get him to come back the next year and try B class, but he was done with that...LOL  I bet his back hurt for weeks. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, wielywilly-g said:

A guy came over and raced our hare scramble on a gas gas 280 trials. He won the 45min beginner race, so he entred the 2hr main in C class and won it. He had gas stashed in the woods at a couple places.  I tried to get him to come back the next year and try B class, but he was done with that...LOL  I bet his back hurt for weeks. 

just more proof, 80% rider 20% bike...

that's why my bike has to be no less than 20%, cause the 80% side of things is lacking.....!

• Like 5