I want to put a speedo on my 2010 crf 230 but don't know how to get power to it

Can you run it straight from the battery or splice into the wire onto the ignition like hooking up a headlight so it only comes on when you switch on the ignition?  I would think that the idea is the same...

You already have a headlight?  If you have your light connected through an on/off switch I would bypass that so the speedo stays on even when you turn the light off.  Should be pretty straight forward other than that.

No problem let us know how it goes.  Does that taach have an hour meter on it too?  Thinking about picking an hour meter up sometime.

14 hours ago, James Allen said:

I want to put a speedo on my 2010 crf 230 but don't know how to get power to it. The speedo is a trail tech enduro 2

The TrailTech stuff runs on a coin size battery, I need to replace mine each year.
They only needs power for backlight and can use almost any AC or DC source.
I have an early CRF230F ignition switch on my X and I connected the Vapor power to the start circuit of the switch. Vapor backlight comes on when Ign sw is on, and off when off.  But I can roll the bike or press a button on the Vapor to activate the Vapor display.  I use to have the Vapor hardwired to the battery and the backlight would only display if the the Vapor was activated by a sensor, so it wouldn't discharge the battery.
I have a Vapor on my XR which has  no battery or DC and I connected  the Vapor power wires to the headlight AC power which is only hot when the engine is running, so the display backlights only while the engine is running. 

The Trailtech manuals explain everything and they are avail on line.

Edited by Chuck.
  • Like 1

Sounds like a nice unit.  I may look into one after I do suspension and a headlight.  And possibly get my stator rewound if it needs doing.

3 hours ago, James Allen said:

Could you possibly send a photo of your wiring 

I don't have a photo but here is a wiring diagram for the early CRF230F.59827fa108360_CRF230FWiringDiagramfixed.jpg.d4d9f48de718f881af6e35165aa3dc87.jpg

I slipped the end of the red Vapor power wire into the black bullet connector to the ignition switch. The bullet connectors are located at the steering head.