Knocking sound at 6k rpm

Went to test ride a bike for my sister this arvo and it looks decent, but had an odd knocking/ticking sound. The best way I can think of describing it is when you gently stick your finger on a fan and your fingernail makes a sound when it hits each blade.

Is this a bad sign?

Bike is a klx250s motard by the way.

On a side note, it's got 23000 km and hasn't had a major service. It's a klx so I think it should be right, but I'm not 100% sure. Is this too many km?

Sent from my SM-G920I using ThumperTalk mobile app

Needs a valve adjustment, that should be checked around 10k miles or 16km. Also replace the oil and filter, use the best moto specific oil you can get.

On 8/2/2017 at 0:31 AM, thredbo said:

Went to test ride a bike for my sister this arvo and it looks decent, but had an odd knocking/ticking sound. The best way I can think of describing it is when you gently stick your finger on a fan and your fingernail makes a sound when it hits each blade.

Is this a bad sign?

Bike is a klx250s motard by the way.

On a side note, it's got 23000 km and hasn't had a major service. It's a klx so I think it should be right, but I'm not 100% sure. Is this too many km?

Sent from my SM-G920I using ThumperTalk mobile app

hold up a screw driver to the cylinder head ... see where the noise is coming from.

or check your valve clearances

whens the last time the bike was run?

Edited by horrorfan

Ended up buying it, my sister uses it most days now. I'm gonna check valve clearances and see what they're looking like

When the automatic cam chain adjuster gives up the ghost... it with rattle like hell around 6k.   My adjuster was jumping teeth with only 1800 miles on the clock.  Manual cam chain adjuster made all the difference on my '09... cheap fix   http://www.clems-garage.com/CCT/

Edited by Abramsgunner