Gear box compatibility

Looking for help with the following. My 2011 DRZ 400 SM (converted to S) broke third gear as I was riding in fifth, wheel locked up and left a lovely 40 yard skid. Anyway I have the box stripped out. My question is if I get a used gearbox from an older DRZ will it be compatible with my motor. I see a few listed on eBay for bikes 2003-2009 but I wouldn't have thought the gearbox changed after this. Any help appreciated

4 hours ago, cowpie said:

theyre all the same .. only thing changed is the paint ..

Please do not forget about the "Bold" graphics...  :lol:

• Like 1

If you're that far into it,   then look for a set of wide ratio gears.    I think they have a bigger gap between 3rd and 4th,  but it's about the closest you'll get to a 6 speed in one of these bikes.

Thank TT, I have been looking at this option and may still go for it. The wide ratio gears you mentioned are made by ACT in the US. $620 for the set, by the time I pay for postage, customs duty and tax to Ireland they will be about €1100, too rich for me I'm afraid. I stay with the stock gears and live with the lower top speed. thanks again

I put the WR gears on my bike and it rocks! What if I mailed you a set of gears, would they still charge you taxes?

Hi TT, once again thanks for the reply. That is a more than generous offer. That is one of the ways around it, the gears would have to be taken out of the original wrapping, a bit of dirty gears applied, wrapped in tissue paper or news paper and the package marked as a gift, its all a bit convoluted. Your offer is very generous and I appreciate it but, and I mean this with the utmost respect so please don't be offended but I don't know you and if I was to purchase the gears and have them sent to you for forwarding to me whats to say the would never arrive and I'm down over $600. 

No offence taken, buying parts overseas from folks you don't know is tricky. Some people will create an eBay listing and pay a small fee to eBay to assure that they get what they pay for.