What bike does your wife / girlfriend ride?

So I am working on a list of bikes to check out with my wife. She has never ridden a dirtbike before. She has experience on the street and is comfortable with a clutch and all controls. 

Specifically it needs to have lights and be able to be registered. It does not have to be street legal. Dont need to get a sticker or anything. Just a plate to link trails. 

She is 5' 6" and 135lbs. 

What does your wife ride? Does she like it? 

So far ktm150 xc w, beta 125rr, ttr 150l and xr 200 are all ones I will be looking at. 

My friends wife used to ride an old TTR230, but got a 2013 CRF230F recently and likes it much better.  She is about 5'9".

My wife is about 5'4"  and she rides a Yamaha xt225. She loves this bike, it has a low enough seat height that she can be flat footed when stopped. It also has E start and she just loves the magic button, Her last bike was  Honda xl250r and it was tough for her to kick start. My wife doesn't really take the xt off road though.  I think it would be an OK trail bike plus there is a web site just for them, lots of mods can be done to the xt's to imjprove them.

At 5'6" your wife is somewhat vertically challenged when it comes to dirt bikes.  The most common bikes I see girls/women on are the Honda CRF230F and the Yamaha TTR230.  If you have the money a Beta XTrainer would be the hot ticket, but maybe too much power for a novice, the engine is a slightly detuned version of the 300RR.  Physically it is close in size to the Honda and Yamaha.

A smaller displacement for a beginner for sure and that's what she is street  experience doesn't really count in my opinion other than the fact that she knows how to work the clutch. But the XR 200 a good choice and klx 125 maybe the honda 230 or the yammie 230 they are all mild and forgiving bikes, which is what you want for starting out in the dirt. The Beta 300 X is really a great bike but not a beginner bike in my estimation it's really pretty fast even though it's a dummed down version of the rr.

• Like 1

CRF230F...the used bike I got my GF even had the seat shaved down.

My GF said she was glad it was used and scratched...so she didn't feel so bad about dropping it...

She got good...after a couple years, the bike was holding her back...let her ride my old WR250F...much better suspension and seat height not so bad once she developed riding skills...

• Like 1

I must say, I was really proud of my GF...she did great...still riding difficult trails on that '06 WR250F at age 51 ! She even rides it on the Vintage MX track on practice days.

Of course, many wives and GFs try dirt bikes a couple times and lose interest. Its dirty/sweaty and physically demanding for the typical woman's upper body strength...

But...the biggest tell, I believe, man or woman, is how you deal with fear...some will drop their bike once or twice and quit...my GF has that attitude that if she couldnt make it up that hill this week, she's gonna try it again next week, til she does...

Most amusing...even though she is tough, she likes to wear pink riding gear so folks know she's a woman out there...

• Like 5

Thanks for the replies guys. Keep them coming!

she may quit after a couple rides so I'm not looking to spend loads of money. Though I do have a nine year old who is almost grown out of his crf 70.... I could bundle.... 

i want a beta xtrainer for myself... hmm, it could be for the wife....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sofiedog said:

CRF230F...the used bike I got my GF even had the seat shaved down.

My GF said she was glad it was used and scratched...so she didn't feel so bad about dropping it...

She got good...after a couple years, the bike was holding her back...let her ride my old WR250F...much better suspension and seat height not so bad once she developed riding skills...

Thought the crf was kind of heavy? Trying to stay as light as possible. 

Just now, Bobatsea said:

Thought the crf was kind of heavy? Trying to stay as light as possible. 

A bit under 250 with a full tank of gas.  Not too bad.  And the weight isn't that top heavy.  We had an 03, it was a decent little bike albeit a bit underpowered.  Its basically a revamped XR200 with an electric start and modern ergos.

• Like 1

I am a 5'6" wife and I ride a stock height CRF250X without any problems. I have been riding dirt for about 20 years, have had an MX80, RT100, TTR125, RM100, CRF150R Expert over those years. The height of the 250X has made me more comfortable standing up while riding.

As a female rider with experience with other bikes, I'd recommend the 250X or similar.

• Like 2

The 230F was easy to pick up and move around...the wheelbase seemed short, which made it easy to handle in slow stuff...they are cheap and available...bought it from a guy who bought it for his wife, but she quit riding...I added a baja designs headlight to plate it....thought the biggest issue was the forks...sold it for what I paid a couple years later...

• Like 1

My wife tears it up on a KX250 same as me cause 4 strokes are for wimps... And also wimpy bikes are for wimps. She is 5'9" (I think) and has no trouble at all starting or riding.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, duncanstives said:

My wife tears it up on a KX250 same as me cause 4 strokes are for wimps... And also wimpy bikes are for wimps. She is 5'9" (I think) and has no trouble at all starting or riding.

She's 3" taller than the OP's wife.  That is a bunch when it comes to dirt bikes.

Meh... I am not knocking anyone... All in good fun... I just gotta brag on her a little cause, not to be sexist or anything, but you don't see a lot of women who can hang in the rocks and nasty stuff on a full height 250 MX bike... She used to ride a KDX (which would be my recommendation to OP in fact) but she got to riding my KX and like it better... LOL

• Like 1