Trade my yz for a crf?

Im looking to try a four stroke. So i found someone willing to trade a 2007 crf250r. For my 2004 yz250. But i'm on here wondering if thats a fair trade? He has the CRF listed for $2850 (Canadian dollars). But i cant seem to find another yz250 in my year, so i'm really not sure what my YZ is worth and if thats a bad trade or not. So could i get a couple more hundred out of my bike? or is the trade worth it.

I wouldn't for a 250f unless the yz is to much for you. If you just ride for fun you'll miss the twostroke. Fourstrokes are more mantnaince and not as muchfun for just bombing around on. Racing that's another story. Man 04 yz250 that's a good one 

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 2

I wouldn't for a 250f unless the yz is to much for you. If you just ride for fun you'll miss the twostroke. Fourstrokes are more mantnaince and not as muchfun for just bombing around on. Racing that's another story

Ya i have a husky 125 2t. I find myself noticeably faster on the 125 compared to the yz. But these are only trails, i dont race at all. I just like rippin up the single track and even the main trails. Main reason i wanna switch is the power band. I dont like having to go fast to have power. If that makes sense. Much prefer having the power NOW!
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, maindawg said:

Ya i have a husky 125 2t. I find myself noticeably faster on the 125 compared to the yz. But these are only trails, i dont race at all. I just like rippin up the single track and even the main trails. Main reason i wanna switch is the power band. I dont like having to go fast to have power. If that makes sense. Much prefer having the power NOW!

Understand what ya mean. Dam wish I had 250f now lol could use another yz250 :ride:  04 last steel frame one and very good race bike. Trade that 125 instead ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, maindawg said:

Haha! What have you heard about the crf? I dont know anything about hondas or what years are good.

Older CRF's were known to have valve issues, some will say I am nuts, but older 250f's are generally not reliable.  Unless you are fairly well versed in shimming valves, and doing periodic inspections, or full on 4 stroke rebuilds...well, I assume you will have to be to own a 10 year old 250f.  Most are ridden very hard, high revving engines with a lot of moving parts wear out.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, maindawg said:

i always heard the 05+ were better cuz of the weight? does the steel frame have any advantages? other then the stronger kahunas.

Steel frame and aluminum frame weigh essentially the same.  Steel flexes better, giving a better feel, and are far less rigid.  I prefer a steel frame.

i always heard the 05+ were better cuz of the weight? does the steel frame have any advantages? other then the stronger kahunas.

For mx, a little, the steely is better in the woods. Your 04 yz is very desirable to the right guy whereas an old 250 4 stroke isn't something most of us would get out of a chair to piss on if it were on fire.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 4

Older CRF's were known to have valve issues, some will say I am nuts, but older 250f's are generally not reliable.  Unless you are fairly well versed in shimming valves, and doing periodic inspections, or full on 4 stroke rebuilds...well, I assume you will have to be to own a 10 year old 250f.  Most are ridden very hard, high revving engines with a lot of moving parts wear out.  

Haha so you definitely dont ride a 4t^^
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, maindawg said:

Haha so you definitely dont ride a 4t^^

Nope, had a 250f for about 2 months and parked my 2 strokes.  Thought I liked it until I got back on a 2 stroke, got rid of it immediately after that ride.