Dynatek FS DFS3-17p

Received this in the mail today. If you don't already know, it's a programmable CDI box for the S and SM models. Normally retails for around $370 but I found a vender on eBay selling them for $268 to the house.

Installation is straight forward. Unplugged old unit , plug in new. Only hiccup was the instructions were for a 03 WR450. I called the support line, gave Larry the S/N on the box and he confirmed I had the correct unit. 2 minutes later he emailed me the correct instructions.

The unit comes with 4 pre-installed curves, 1 stock, 1 retarded, and 2 different advanced.

1st ride was stock. The bike fired up instantly and seem to idle a bit higher than normal. On the road it felt pretty much like stock but just a bit better. Best I can describe it is crisper.

2nd ride was the retarded map. It seemed to dull the low to mid range but pulled hard on top. I liked the top end but the bottom kind of sucked.

3rd ride,2 degree advance. Felt similar to stock. Nothing really caught my attention, I didn't stay in this map long.

4th ride, 4 degree advance. This is THE map. Easily noticable increased punch in the mid range. It pulls thru the gears harder, roll on power is better, by far my favorite.

The unit is meant to work with a TPS so I am only getting the benefit of the wide open curve with my carb. I may be leaving some response on the table.

Overall I'm satisfied with the product. It's not a huge difference but it's definitely noticable. I'm going to look into the program (not included) to write a custom program. I think a map that starts out advanced like the +4 but then ends up with less advance might be even better yet.Screenshot_20170802-172319.thumb.png.5c3049e27dd86633f285db8afa76ce25.png

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 6

Hi,

Does that model CDI only apply to certain years or can it be used on all year DRZ400's? I have a 2017 SM.

Thanks

I just found that on eBay. Years are up to 2008. Connectors look wrong on the picture. My CDI has two connectors. Would you mind taking a pic of the Dyna?

I've actually used many of these on Kawasaki KSV650, KSV700 and KFX700's, Gen1 Vmax. Also on a ZRX1224 drag bike. The maps can easily be tweaked.

If this unit will work on my 2017, I'm going to order one.

Thanks again!

Careful,  writing maps can make a sane person crazy obsessed.  You will always be looking for the next best tweak.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Melkor said:

Careful,  writing maps can make a sane person crazy obsessed.  You will always be looking for the next best tweak.

Actually, I just bought this bike 5 days ago, just to play. I need something to take apart. I've had this little problem for 40+ years. I have a pipe, jetting, Innovate LM2, Seat, sprockets, etc all coming this weekend. This is just like having an ATV I can ride on the street. 300lbs. Its like a freakin toy in the twisties compared to my Concours 14 and past Gen II Vmax's. Got so tired of the weight... 

Pretty sure it fits all S and SM's

The extra connections are for the map switch, the laptop connectors, and 4 bullet terminals for tach, launch control rev limiter, and (2) 2 amp power supply leads.

The tech line is 1-800-928-3962 if you want to call and verify fitment

4 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

I looked up the oem part numbers and the CDI boxes are the same for all SM's. I did however notice the box for the S is a different part number? Looking back at the Dynatek instructions it only says SM... Are stock S and SM boxes interchangeable?

That's good to know. Thanks! I think there are 3 models for the drz400. -16, -16P and -17P. Previous post is right. -16P is for the S/E and -17P is for the SM. -16 is the NON programmable version. Why are the two are different? No idea. Not that I need a "2-step" on a dirt bike that I wont be drag racing. That tach output will be nice. +4 deg of timing is beneficial for stock to near stock compression. You want to advance not just more at low RPM's but a little sooner. Gives you snappier low end. Then, back off 2 - 4 with high compression. I'm surprised no one has put a turbo on one of these. Maybe the ATV version of this motor? I have seen some crazy stuff on the new Z125...

• Like 1

IMG_20170915_172508749.jpg.671b8121718325f32b409f4d9e212453.jpgIMG_20170915_172423523.jpg.e3f1fe3aca63f788e0cbedbb7e3d15d8.jpgIMG_20170915_172502246.jpg.b2e58ccc1c43522957b61acc99d7e865.jpgIMG_20170915_172434294.jpg.1f50a92c0ef91948c4c42137e66fb014.jpg

Did some programming today. I calibrated the TPS positions with the CDI box. I also returned the limiter to 10k. I made a custom curve based off the Dynatek +4 curve. After back to back rides with multiple curves and looking at my previous dyno sheets, they all seemed to suggested that the bike runs better from 7k rpm up with less advance. I changed the curve to drop back down to 35° right after peak torque. Seems to be the best of both worlds.

• Like 2

With your wideband you should be able to get this thing pretty dialed! Nice piece of hardware right here

• Like 1