18 X need some tips and tricks, settings

So just picked up a 18 X, i currently have a 15 YZ250FX which i like a lot but wow the X feels 50 lbs lighter and soo thin its going to feel like riding a bicycle cant wait. Got a Rekluse, hand gaurds and radiator gaurds and just going to ride it. I weight 165, wonder what suspension settings you guys are liking, please post your style of riding if its slower single track or gncc/hare scrambles. Im debating on either just using this bike for single track/mountain only bike and use my FX as a hare scramble/gncc. Haven't rode a smoker in a while cant wait.. Oh and the front tire how is it, i had the same on my FX and didn't like it. 

IMG_1779.thumb.JPG.598573288292b3fd3d277abe0ec03a44.JPG

IMG_1781.JPG.08d68ebcafdccd88c1ff900451506366.JPG

• Like 3

Guessing you probably live East of the Mississippi , maybe not . The tire is vague at best for IMO . I would try the Suspension exactly stock at first with your weight , you might just love it . I know everyone loves the 250FX but , the weight and lack of grunt for 200 lbs rider it's just not enough for me . One of my better racing Nemesis/friend loves his , but is 40 lbs lighter . My bet is you won't be riding the FX much unless the terrain is extremely open . Enjoy !

The blue rims look better in your showroom photo than the one I posted earlier. 

I don't own one "yet" so I can't give you tips. There are a few X set up data threads on here, you will need to gleene through them if your post is slow.

Have fun with that thing, and welcome to the 2stroke forum. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rosehill Ryder said:

Guessing you probably live East of the Mississippi , maybe not . The tire is vague at best for IMO . I would try the Suspension exactly stock at first with your weight , you might just love it . I know everyone loves the 250FX but , the weight and lack of grunt for 200 lbs rider it's just not enough for me . One of my better racing Nemesis/friend loves his , but is 40 lbs lighter . My bet is you won't be riding the FX much unless the terrain is extremely open . Enjoy !

yep NC, Yeah going to leave the suspension stock for a while.  So i put the 48 pilot jet in and reset the float and this thing is awesome, almost looped out in first gear it surprised me. Rode for 10 min and it feels like a bicycle compared to my FX, i think im going to love it. I can definitively see why the FX will be more stable at higher speeds haha.

• Like 1

I would also try a 172 -175 main with the provided leaner needle at the stock clip position . I've got about 150 hrs on mine an am almost as enthused as the day I brought it home . if you are a clutch abuser you may want to put 3 stock YZ springs in place 3 X springs . You won't notice the difference in stiffness by just doing the 3 . And of course you may or may not want to remove a PV washer , it's not for everyone .  

I weigh the same as you. After some break-in time, I experimented with different suspension settings. I am basically back near the stock settings. I just had to tweak the rebound (front and rear) to my liking. I also came off one round of rear spring preload. I tested these setting and have been riding them since a few weeks after I brought the bike home. I didn't even measure the sag, everything felt great! 

I did pull the forks up in the triple clamps a little. 

I also went down one step on both the main and pilot. Those settings feel fine. They were off during the hottest portion of the summer, but I just lived with it. 

The jury is still out on the tires. I don't know if it's the tires, or just that the X is so different from my KTM, but the bike doesn't seem to stick as good as my KTM with very worn tires on it. It's not real bad, or scary, just noticeable. 

Oh, and that rear brake............

Rode it for about 3-4 hours today and wow I'm in love. I'm not sure if I'll ever ride my 250FX.  Just the lightness and overall feel is great. I rejetted it to 45 and 175 and left everything stock feel good for the most part but it's wet at the end of the silencer so what's the recommended step raise the needle?  Oh did I say I love it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IronUA said:

Rode it for about 3-4 hours today and wow I'm in love. I'm not sure if I'll ever ride my 250FX.  Just the lightness and overall feel is great. I rejetted it to 45 and 175 and left everything stock feel good for the most part but it's wet at the end of the silencer so what's the recommended step raise the needle?  Oh did I say I love it. 

Try the leaner provided needle at the same clip position 1st .

On 8/7/2017 at 8:05 AM, Rosehill Ryder said:

Try the leaner provided needle at the same clip position 1st .

Tried it and rode around the house, it felt a bit weak?

I rejetted it to 45 and 175 and left everything stock feel good for the most part but it's wet at the end of the silencer so what's the recommended step raise the needle?

No, switch to a #40 power jet ha ha!!

6 minutes ago, Kinger317 said:

No, switch to a #40 power jet ha ha!!

Got it ordered. Going to put the other needle back and put the 40 power jet and see how it runs.

Got it ordered. Going to put the other needle back and put the 40 power jet and see how it runs.

Give a report on the other topic too ;-)
  • Like 1

Since we ride many of the same places and races, FWIW I'm going through this now on a 2012 YZ250 and I'm just copying what most of the guys I ride with run:

Stock expansion chamber and silencer, 172 main, 45 pilot. Dominator at 50:1. Some run a Gnarly pipe simply because the stocker is paper thin in comparison. Mine luckily came with 3 silencers and 2 different pipes so I'm going to experiment some. Since yours is already an X that leaves off a few others things I'm doing to mine like the X PV spring and washers, CDI, Head and the updated shift selector which your bike already has on it. 

As for the suspension you're probably going to be ok on the stock springs. Get your sag dialed in and the bike should be pretty well planted even at higher speeds. Some Vet A and local AA guys in the VX and VC series all run this setup on their X's or converted regular YZ's. A few switched from the FX and haven't looked back. 

4 hours ago, StretchASU said:

Since we ride many of the same places and races, FWIW I'm going through this now on a 2012 YZ250 and I'm just copying what most of the guys I ride with run:

Stock expansion chamber and silencer, 172 main, 45 pilot. Dominator at 50:1. Some run a Gnarly pipe simply because the stocker is paper thin in comparison. Mine luckily came with 3 silencers and 2 different pipes so I'm going to experiment some. Since yours is already an X that leaves off a few others things I'm doing to mine like the X PV spring and washers, CDI, Head and the updated shift selector which your bike already has on it. 

As for the suspension you're probably going to be ok on the stock springs. Get your sag dialed in and the bike should be pretty well planted even at higher speeds. Some Vet A and local AA guys in the VX and VC series all run this setup on their X's or converted regular YZ's. A few switched from the FX and haven't looked back. 

Yeah the FX is for sale and someone might buy it today i listed it dirt cheap someone is going to be lucky. But the X is amazing compared to the FX, can't wait to race it and see how i do might take me a couple to get the hang of it. Im going to leave the suspension stock for now it feels great.

• Like 1