79 yz250

Darn! that looks like a great score. I have a 77 I'm thinking about selling, if it was as nice as yours I'd be keeping it.  Nice jonboat.

Edited by jonboat
  • Like 1

Not sure what I'm going to do with it. These bikes are getting scarce to find in good condition.

If I was to resell it what should it bring?

I am still waiting for the replica seat cover to arrive. I did replace the missing lower chain roller. It could use a a rebuild. Compression at 120psi. And the kick start lever is pretty worn. 

Just now, Blackwoodz said:

Not sure what I'm going to do with it. These bikes are getting scarce to find in good condition.

If I was to resell it what should it bring?

I am still waiting for the replica seat cover to arrive. I did replace the missing lower chain roller. It could use a a rebuild. Compression at 120psi. And the kick start lever is pretty worn. 

Its hard to put a value on the bike without seeing it. It also depends on the demand and your local economy. A ready to race yz like that would go for $1200-1800 in my area. Really nice ones can go for $2500+. As it sits from what you described it would be an $800 bike . You can spend a lot of money reconditioning a bike . It adds up quickly.  If its not a bike you want to keep and ride i would resell it as is. A $400 bike + $400 in parts + hours of labor = $1200 or a $400 profit. $400 bike flip for $800 = same $400 profit with no work involved.  Plus you never know what your really going to find it needs until you tear into it.  Figure  $250 minimum for a top end including a rebore. $40 for a seat cover. What about tires, cables, bearings, airfilter, grips and levers. Brake shoes, chain and sprockets, handle bars. Than you have the kickstarter issue and who knows what else. Than there is cosmetics how badly is it scratched up and pipe dented. The higher the asking price the better the bike needs to be. Some guys want a restored bike turn key ready to go and will pay for it. Others want a bike they can do so they know what they have.

I've ridden it. Brakes and levers are good. Shifts great and runs strong. Suspension is actually pretty good also. The bike is a 7 out of a 10 for it's age. I'd say you mount it right now and race a Moto. Tires are 85%

Looks and sounds like its already been rebuilt/restored. It's a desireable bike for post-vintage MX racing...around here, could get $2K to $3K if it's really "race ready" and seat, plastics, frame, etc look fresh...all chassis bearing good/freshly lubed...fresh top end/bottom end inspected...good clutch/transmission...shifts well, can find neutral...well jetted/good reeds...fresh forks/shocks/chain/sprockets...