Forks leaking after replacement

I just got my yz 125 forks fixed a couple weeks ago. I went out on my first ride on the new seals and they are already leaking again! When I took it in to the shop only one seal was bad. Now both are. I'm very disappointed and now can't ride. My parents keep telling me that it's fine to ride with them leaking but I don't think it is. Is it okay to ride with leaky fork seals?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Nope , dont ride like this. Plus you may get fork oil on your brake, which, of course, is not a good idea.
Get a own service manual, change both seal at the same time. Fork seal are usually not hard to change but it takes time.

Check the bushings that the fork tubes slide up and down in.

If they are worn enough, the tubes can move around excessively (laterally), and the seals can't hold back fluid.

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED
added info

Check the bushings that the fork tubes slide up and down in.
If they are worn enough, the tubes can move around excessively (laterally), and the seals can't hold back fluid.

Do I have to remove the whole front end to tell? I've never dealt with forks

4 minutes ago, asian195 said:

Watch YouTube videos. Very easy to do. Just need a couple specialty tools. Cap wrench if their SSS forks and seal driver.

Sent from my SM-G920P using ThumperTalk mobile app

There are 2 things that I have developed a dislike for: flat tires and fork seals.

If I'm out of town at a race, I'll do the work.

If I'm in town, our local Mx tech just a few blocks from my office can have those 2 jobs.

I think I'd rather split a case. :ride:

Take it back for faulty work.

Leaking fork seals can be dangerous as they will drip down to the brake rotor and caliper and it will not work properly, as well as the oil can degrade the pads if left for awhile.

Eventually all the fluid will leak out and your forks will be junk, then you are SOL.

If you can't take it back for whatever reason, you can learn to do them yourself.

Personally, I would not bring it back to the same mechanic that didn't do it right the first time. (Unless you are pretty sure it was a honest mistake.) But I would talk to them and try to have a refund. (Maybe they get you the parts for free and you do it yourself) to many horror stories from mechanics....

• Like 1

Also, how are you strapping your bike down to go anywhere?

Buy a pair of fork bleeders and bleed your forks every time you strap it down and sometimes when you are riding. They will release the built up pressure.

Also, how are you strapping your bike down to go anywhere?
Buy a pair of fork bleeders and bleed your forks every time you strap it down and sometimes when you are riding. They will release the built up pressure.

They installed fork bleeders there and I bleed them after every ride

12 minutes ago, ryan408 said:

They installed fork bleeders there and I bleed them after every ride

Then I think it's safe to say it's faulty work.

Do you bleed them when it's strapped?

Then I think it's safe to say it's faulty work.
Do you bleed them when it's strapped?

I believe they did it incorrectly as I bleeder them when it's strapped

If they replaced bushings and seals there may be damage to the lower tube that is tearing up the seals.  If they just replaced seals and not bushings they are doing crappy work.  Both should be serviced at the same time.

Did you ride in muddy conditions after the seals were replaced?  That can do it too.  Mud consists of fine dirt particles suspended in water.  Mud likes to dry onto your fork tubes and slide right past your dust seals and into the oil seals.  That can kill seals in minutes.

Get a fork seal cleaner / saver and learn to use it.  Crap getting in the seals and causing a leak is pretty common.  The fork seal cleaner can save a lot of headaches.