Rear Footpeg Position Mod (PICS)

Hey All-

Using RedMesa's encyclopedia of modifications to our bikes (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mEsw891e5HUdLIrq4yYQzm2QCsRgK-ihDkrL_fu7_iA/pub), I came across some drawings for a good foot peg modification. This mod uses an adapter plate and the OEM peg bracket off of a CRF250/450 model. I bought the pins, springs and some aftermarket high-end pegs to complete the process. 

I made my brackets from 304SS per the original design in this thread:

Member Fudalgo provides a drawing somewhere around page 5. I'll be taking her out for a ride tomorrow on the usual trails I ride.

36174565642_12fc777b7b_z.jpgUntitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr

35534312243_438aae5b4e_z.jpgUntitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr

36174568412_9ff1312f52_z.jpgUntitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr

36206470381_2fab6c2fd4_z.jpgUntitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr

Edited by xplodee
  • Like 6

Rode with the new mod yesterday for about 50 miles. WOW. Everyone must do this mod immediately. Transformed the ergonomics and ability to move my weight around efficiently on the bike. 

• Like 2

Just now, mx4god said:

Kool. Adding the YZ pegs/adapters to mine feel really good. How's the peg-to-brake pedal and shift lever feel?

Everyone I ride with who has ridden on of our two 230F's has complained that they can't shift because the space between the peg and shifter on a stock bike is too close. This is with riding boots on.

The new footpeg position totally corrects that problem on the shifter side and makes braking a lot easier as well on the brake side. There are zero compromises with this mod in my opinion.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, xplodee said:

Everyone I ride with who has ridden on of our two 230F's has complained that they can't shift because the space between the peg and shifter on a stock bike is too close. This is with riding boots on.

The new footpeg position totally corrects that problem on the shifter side and makes braking a lot easier as well on the brake side. There are zero compromises with this mod in my opinion.

What size boots do you wear, the distance between pegs and levers look far

6 hours ago, ROD Kerry said:

What size boots do you wear, the distance between pegs and levers look far

I'm a size 8 and it's definitely not too far away for me.

• Like 1

Hey All-

I have five sets available. New price is $85 for two brackets, two M8 screws, and shipping. Send me a PM if you'd like a set. I also have one of the five pairs that I can sell with used brackets and new pins/springs/cotter for $125- you would only have to supply your own foot pegs and you're off and running.

36895893920_04e6f257f4_z.jpgUntitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr

36456304264_d8ff15de1e_z.jpgUntitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr

36479546283_d59ba839fe_z.jpgUntitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr

37150812941_8f6e2bc539_z.jpgUntitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr

37294145935_034702034b_z.jpgUntitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr

• Like 2

The kit with the peg brackets included is sold. Four left with without brackets. If I sell out of these quickly I will make more, don't worry. 

Thanks for making these. I'll take a set please, paypal'd you. PM sent with shipping info.

Sold out. Thanks everyone. If someone wants more just let me know. 

Thank you so much, Tim.
Excited to try them out and give my review.
  • Like 1

How far back do these brackets move the pegs?  Same height?

Check out the Ramsey write up, very detailed.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:21 PM, xplodee said:

Hey All-

Using RedMesa's encyclopedia of modifications to our bikes (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mEsw891e5HUdLIrq4yYQzm2QCsRgK-ihDkrL_fu7_iA/pub), I came across some drawings for a good foot peg modification. This mod uses an adapter plate and the OEM peg bracket off of a CRF250/450 model. I bought the pins, springs and some aftermarket high-end pegs to complete the process. 

I made my brackets from 304SS per the original design in this thread:

Member Fudalgo provides a drawing somewhere around page 5. I'll be taking her out for a ride tomorrow on the usual trails I ride.

36174565642_12fc777b7b_z.jpgUntitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr

35534312243_438aae5b4e_z.jpgUntitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr

36174568412_9ff1312f52_z.jpgUntitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr

36206470381_2fab6c2fd4_z.jpgUntitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr

I was going to bolt mine on like that until I noticed they would be angled back like that. That's why I welded mine in place so I could adjust for that. But I bet you could do some grinding to remedy this problem. Nice having modern pegs and the right side doesn't stick out and catch roots when cornering hard!

41 minutes ago, ricky racer said:

I was going to bolt mine on like that until I noticed they would be angled back like that. That's why I welded mine in place so I could adjust for that. But I bet you could do some grinding to remedy this problem. Nice having modern pegs and the right side doesn't stick out and catch roots when cornering hard!

I'm figuring on having to do some very careful and slow grinding to get them perfect.

Also considering modifying the plate on the right side to correct the 3/8" offset that exists according to Ramsey's notes.

"The end result - the footpegs are moved back 1 inch on the left and 5/8 inch on the right and the overall width is reduced 1 inch. Footpegs are about 7/16 inches higher." - http://rickramsey.net/CRF230Ffootpegs.htm

I was thinking about slotting the mounting holes ~ 3/8". Maybe then mill/drill a countersink where the bolt will go to prevent sliding if that's even necessary. Any thoughts on this?

• Like 2

JC-

I just shipped yours out but im happy to fart around with you after the fact to get a better piece. Im not doing this for commercial purposes, im doing it bc i am a hobby machinist and love dirt bikes.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, _JC_ said:

I'm figuring on having to do some very careful and slow grinding to get them perfect.

Also considering modifying the plate on the right side to correct the 3/8" offset that exists according to Ramsey's notes.

"The end result - the footpegs are moved back 1 inch on the left and 5/8 inch on the right and the overall width is reduced 1 inch. Footpegs are about 7/16 inches higher." - http://rickramsey.net/CRF230Ffootpegs.htm

I was thinking about slotting the mounting holes ~ 3/8" . Maybe then mill/drill a countersink where the bolt will go to prevent sliding if that's even necessary. Any thoughts on this?

Sounds like you got it figured out! This is the only option if you do not weld or have access to a welder or do not want to weld them for some reason. Personally I like the welding option for ease of getting the pegs straight right out of the gate. But I also have a fully equipped shop at home :) and that 3/8" less that the pegs stick out. He has done a great job machining the adaptors. I like it when someone will offers to the public what they did to there bike!

Edited by ricky racer
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, xplodee said:

JC-

I just shipped yours out but im happy to fart around with you after the fact to get a better piece. Im not doing this for commercial purposes, im doing it bc i am a hobby machinist and love dirt bikes.

Sorry, I'm not trying to critique your work at all and no disrespect intended. I think you did a great job on those and it's very much appreciated! There's no way I would even notice 3/8 of an inch in any direction. I just thought it might be fun to mess around with them and correct the offset, however insignificant, after reviewing Ramsey's notes. Guess I'm just trying to mod your mod a little, not saying it's bad. Again, awesome job!

• Like 3