F'n Kickstand switch on a 690 Enduro R

Got my new 2017 690 Enduro home last night and had to mod the kickstand right away. Bike is way to tall for my Hobbit legs!

I raised the forks about 3/4" and backed the preload off at the dealer just so I could get one toe down at stoplights.

Got the bike in my shop,  stuck it on my bike lift/jack and hacked an inch of the stand. Re-welded on a large washer for a foot. Perfect. Had to do the ram mount ball on the kickstand trick to be able to get the sidestand up.

Roll the bike out of shop this morning at 0500 and get ready to head to work. Start bike in nuetral, flip up sidestand, drop bike into 1st and it dies. I dicked with it for 30 minutes then gave up and rolled it back into the shop. Drove my Heep to work, crap!

After an interweb search I discover the issue is something as simple as the stupid sidestand safety switch magnet getting misaligned, probably from the bike stand bumping it. Damn you Liberals and your stupid safety devices. Gonna realign it tonight. Ordered the Bypass from Slavens this morning. Yes I know about the adding a resistor fix, but I'm lazy.

Tusk pannier racks, tailplate and a zillion other things ordered.

I'm hoping this bike will replace my trusty Honda.

35541740193_1331260e49_o (1).jpg

35953343820_a498a6d148_o.jpg

35983971962_731503c9c2_o.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work! I can't say that my kickstand has been a PITA so far, but I can say that I"m glad it's pretty strong. I use it so that I can stand on the left peg to swing my leg over the tall beast. People sue for everything, so mfr's have to protect themselves with stuff like this, even if most don't need/want it. So, I place the blame on people that do stupid stuff and refuse to take responsibility for their actions. But, that's not changing anytime soon. 

Have you turned in your steering stops yet? If not, do it ASAP. Otherwise the turning radius of the bike is a 747! Also, if you want more power, there is a switch under the seat with various map settings. Characteristics of each is in your manual.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Have you turned in your steering stops yet? If not, do it ASAP. Otherwise the turning radius of the bike is a 747! Also, if you want more power, there is a switch under the seat with various map settings. Characteristics of each is in your manual.

Thanks for the steering stop tip Bryan!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Force0321 said:

Thanks for the steering stop tip Bryan!

I found out when I almost went down! I turned mine in until I could see just a sliver of light between the fork tube on the nearest contact point. Night/day better and best of all a free mod! ;)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, coarsegoldkid said:

I raised forks 1". Shortened shock 1". Changed springs in both for my needs. Cut 2" off side stand. Next time I want to be 6" taller.
I like the Ram ball idea.

Sent from my XT1080 using ThumperTalk mobile app

You cut 2" off the side stand? How much does it lean?  I only cut an inch off and it's pretty much perfect. 

Yes, to be 6"taller would be nice! The ram ball on the side stand is the ONLY way I can get my stand up while setting on the bike.

IMG_3661.JPG

Edited by Force0321

I'm 5'11" 32" inseam, the bike is tall but works for me.

Any way, rather than dragging out the MIG I usually just drill and tap.

0911171858a.jpg

0911171858.jpg