• Announcements

• Bryan Bosch

NEW SITE FEATURE   09/19/2017

Checkout the ThumperTalk Photo Gallery! Share a single photo, create your own album, or just checkout what others have shared.
HoyFock

I cant feel my bike.

44 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am a new rider, recently bought KTM 150 SX. This is my first bike. After some riding I still can't feel the bike. Someone may laugh but It's so fast and powerful to me. I don't feel comfortable riding on it. I dont know what the bike is capable of. Also I have that fear of losing control and crashing, so I'm not really a fast rider. Any tips, ideas ?  

It's so frustrating. It's like I'm the bikes bitch, and it should be other way around, shouldn't it ? 

Exactly what Moto367 said... EASE into it, get comfortable with throttle control since it is a 2 stroke it can be pipey. Learn the controls, brakes, clutch, throttle... Learn good body position and grip with your knees... Stay up on the pegs but move towards the gas tank sitting on it for turns as you want that front end to dive down some. You can do this and if you aren't sure there are some training videos by Gary Semics here on ThumperTalk and YouTube along with so many other old and new PRO's. Just search moto training videos. You got this...

1 minute ago, Diamond-Dave said:

Exactly what Moto367 said... EASE into it, get comfortable with throttle control since it is a 2 stroke it can be pipey. Learn the controls, brakes, clutch, throttle... Learn good body position and grip with your knees... Stay up on the pegs but move towards the gas tank sitting on it for turns as you want that front end to dive down some. You can do this and if you aren't sure there are some training videos by Gary Semics here on ThumperTalk and YouTube along with so many other old and new PRO's. Just search moto training videos. You got this...

When I'm sitting(not only in corner) im sitting close to the tank because it's comfortable like that, I can't sit in the middle because it's really weird. Should I change that habit ? 

When I am staying, should I stay on balls of my feet or arches? 

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, HoyFock said:

It's so frustrating. It's like I'm the bikes bitch, and it should be other way around, shouldn't it ? 

Well yes I guess so lol

Edited by Motox367
2 people like this

Sometimes you gotta slow down to go fast! Slow down so that you can relax and have fun! Speed comes with saddle time. If you have the time, money, and it's not too far:

Yes, it's more of an off-road course, but all the skills are necessary for mx.

2 people like this

If you can't hold on to your bike and scared of crashing I wouldn't worry about where your feet are yet. Although yes balls of feet when attacking.  But i think you need to start at beginning and just keep riding.  Find some buddies to ride with stuff like that. Yes balls at gas cap when cornering but you have to carry speed to make everything work.  Don't worry about that stuff until you can "feel" your bike

2 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Sometimes you gotta slow down to go fast! Slow down so that you can relax and have fun! Speed comes with saddle time. If you have the time, money, and it's not too far:

Yes, it's more of an off-road course, but all the skills are necessary for mx.

Unfortunately, it's too far for me. I've ridden enduro also on my KTM SX and it's even worse than MX, I was lying on the ground every next minute. I plan on buying trial bike for slower riding. 

2 minutes ago, HoyFock said:

Unfortunately, it's too far for me. I've ridden enduro also on my KTM SX and it's even worse than MX, I was lying on the ground every next minute. I plan on buying trial bike for slower riding. 

At the very least, soak up some free training content from experienced trainers like Watts, Semics, etc... and when you ride, practices key, fundemental skills. Don't just "ride".

2 people like this

Just now, Bryan Bosch said:

At the very least, soak up some free training content from experienced trainers like Watts, Semics, etc... and when you ride, practices key, fundemental skills. Don't just "ride".

Yes, I've watched pretty much everything from "Cross training enduro skills" channel on youtube. Really informative, great videos. 

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, HoyFock said:

Don't waste your money on another bike yet, you'll want to get use to this one. Buy different sprocket set ups to change your gearing for different terrain/speed. You'll find that 150 very versatile for all kinds of riding/racing/trail riding. As they mentioned you want to be on your balls of feet for attack position but as you gain experience you will find that you move your feet around based on terrain and speed and it will be 2nd nature where you aren't thinking about it. For now focus on that throttle control and body position, Mostly standing in a neutral center point that the bike has even balance. Check out training videos as a starting point, there are SO many for everything. Turning, sand, whoops approach... on and on... 

1 person likes this

Im by no means a good rider and this may not sound that great but I have found that slamming a beer or 2 while riding calms me down and allows me to relax while riding which in turn allows me to be smoother and not as tense or nervous.

Posted (edited)

30 minutes ago, IraqvetUSMC said:

Im by no means a good rider and this may not sound that great but I have found that slamming a beer or 2 while riding calms me down and allows me to relax while riding which in turn allows me to be smoother and not as tense or nervous.

Lol he may not be old enough for that. I had a buddy like that. Can drink alot and still function and very slow rider. Wouldn't take him to tracks other than mine. didn't want people seeing that.  I'm not big fan of it dont drink at all myself but to each their own I geuss :ride:

Edited by Motox367

Alcohol increases dehydration and reduces muscle recovery. I think there are better way to address being tense on a motorcycle personally.

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, IraqvetUSMC said:

1st... THANK YOU for your Service as it allows us all to enjoy our freedom or riding and lives liberties... but sorry 2nd.. You have to remember that many times especially if on a smaller bike we could be talking to kids under 18... I myself don't drink and ride... once the tops start popping the bikes are already locked up.

2 people like this

1st... THANK YOU for your Service as it allows us all to enjoy our freedom or riding and lives liberties... but sorry 2nd.. You have to remember that many times especially if on a smaller bike we could be talking to kids under 18... I myself don't drink and ride... once the tops start popping the bikes are already locked up.

Thanks bud and you are right we don't know how old he is. Actually I very rarely drink at all and 2 would be the limit when riding as more than 2 beers triggers my migraines. I just know that it relaxes me and to much alcohol causes dehydration yes but you still need to drink a lot of water while riding anyways.
2 people like this

IVUSMC, totally understand... more than 2 use to trigger my throttle to WFO and I wouldn't find the brakes in time :facepalm: but over last couple decades with being more into racing than joy riding its all about hydration and health. Cocktails after racing/riding with dinner or by the fire with the gang...  Time and a place for everything as I know you know... 

1 person likes this

IVUSMC, totally understand... more than 2 use to trigger my throttle to WFO and I wouldn't find the brakes in time :facepalm: but over last couple decades with being more into racing than joy riding its all about hydration and health. Cocktails after racing/riding with dinner or by the fire with the gang...  Time and a place for everything as I know you know... 

Haha I hear ya man. I'm 32 with 2 kids so I am about as weekend warrior as it gets and I don't race at all. I just find that when I am tense I feel like I am going to eat it hard and have a bad Monday lol. And that's true some people don't know when to stop drinking and I know a few people. But I am all open ears if someone uses something else to relax during riding I would like to know.
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, HoyFock said:

Hello,

I am a new rider, recently bought KTM 150 SX. This is my first bike. After some riding I still can't feel the bike. Someone may laugh but It's so fast and powerful to me. I don't feel comfortable riding on it. I dont know what the bike is capable of. Also I have that fear of losing control and crashing, so I'm not really a fast rider. Any tips, ideas ?  

Being newer at this I can identify.

Time on the bike and patience are your friends. Conversely impatience (trying to go too fast or do something beyond your current skill set = likely just going to get your injured) is your enemy. Primary goal should be to go home without the aid of others, able to ride again tomorrow.

You will progress with time. You most likely have already progressed but simply you are discouraged your not at pro level yet in a short period of time - LoL. We all have that syndrome. We all want to be better/faster. We all want to ride like Tomac. Seriously though, look at your first day on the bike. Now look at your last time out. Better right? Learn to spot progression and recognize what got you there. Learn to enjoy the progress you have achieved! 

Likewise recognize regression. Regression happens from time to time and is to be expected. When you change something to correct a bad habit or such, often you change something else as well unknowingly. You also tend to over exaggerate a correction for a short period just to get use to it. The old saying "sometimes you got to take a step backwards to go forwards".

Go to the track with a plan. Might be to just ride with the thought of "smooth is fast". Might be that you say "I'm working only on berms". Might be "working on controlling the bike in the air on jumps". Your plan should be more focused and specific as you move along e.g. "I'm going to work on using the rear brake more controlled going into the rut". If you focus on specifics, chances are you will go away with that improved. However, also re-read the paragraph above about regression. Your expectation on rate of progress needs to be reasonable. People have different levels of natural coordination and self-preservation fear (not necessarily a bad thing). Gripit-N-Ripit will just us newbies in trouble.

Take video of yourself. Chances are you will see things you did not realize you are doing. Compare how you look vs how you want to look. I remember thinking I was doing a goo job of "being up on the gas tank". I took some goPro of myself and thought "I might as well have been on a Harley than my dirt bike".

There's also more to it than just riding skills. Proper setup of your equipment. First and foremost is suspension - a dark art at best. First SAG. Yea there are guidelines but then you can and should tune it to you. Once within guidelines you dial in by the seat of your pants. Then is compression, rebound, re-valve if what you have is not working for you. Tire selection for your type of riding. Air pressures in the front/rear depending upon track conditions. Etc. Getting the bike more dialed-in for your will make it easier which in turn will up your confidence. Keep in mind as you progress, you will likely need to adjust your suspension.

This forum and the people on it have helped me so much. I would not have progress nearly as much without it. I'm thankful for that.

Sometimes you get bad advice; just learn to discard that.

Last piece of advice (in this post): keep it fun. Fun means different things to different people. Myself, I like a good challenge. I like learning something new. My best days are when I can walk away and identify something new I did or some, minor as it may be, improvement I made. But don't let frustration settle in to the point where it takes all the fun out of it.

A day will come when you profess "I love the power of my bike and how it hits".

1 person likes this