I cant feel my bike.

This is a great drill for practicing control cornering!

31 minutes ago, IraqvetUSMC said:

Haha I hear ya man. I'm 32 with 2 kids so I am about as weekend warrior as it gets and I don't race at all. I just find that when I am tense I feel like I am going to eat it hard and have a bad Monday lol. And that's true some people don't know when to stop drinking and I know a few people. But I am all open ears if someone uses something else to relax during riding I would like to know.

HA... totally get it IVUSMC , I'm 56 and still racing , NHHA, Desert, GP's. In 2006 I had a really bad high side, broke 6 ribs, punchard/bruised left lung, bruised heart, clavicle in 3 pcs, 3 pneumothorax’s. Required 9 days ICU (coded 3 times) and 23 days in hospital. 2 months out of the hospital I picked up a 50th Anny R1 for commuting… But I have slowed down some, attitude is I have to go to work Monday. 

BEST sticker on my bike I got from Malcolm Smith riding with him and JN Roberts in Montana...

IMG_0351.JPG

Im by no means a good rider and this may not sound that great but I have found that slamming a beer or 2 while riding calms me down and allows me to relax while riding which in turn allows me to be smoother and not as tense or nervous.

Blasphemy. I take my riding and my drinking very seriously, I'll not bastardize the purity of either pursuit by mixing them! Strict compartmentalization is key to selling the real human act.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

Alcohol increases dehydration and reduces muscle recovery. I think there are better way to address being tense on a motorcycle personally.

Weed? Lol.

3 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

Blasphemy. I take my riding and my drinking very seriously, I'll not bastardize the purity of either pursuit by mixing them! Strict compartmentalization is key to selling the real human act.

Weed? Lol.

A number of years back, when I got back into riding after being poor during college, me and my riding buddy met up with some guys on the trails up at Jones Creek. They were enjoying a fat one. They were a little older riding what looked like clapped out bikes. We were on newer bikes, had been riding every weekend for months, so we thought we'd school em'. Those dudes totally checkout out! We were amazed! Might be something too your point. ;)

2 hours ago, HoyFock said:

Yes, I've watched pretty much everything from "Cross training enduro skills" channel on youtube. Really informative, great videos. 

Yes, but there is much more out there that is specifically MX related too. Since you posted in MX and you have an MX oriented bike, I assume you have a good interest in MX.

A collection of MX instructional videos that I've gathered from youTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxR86UD-Ub2qidml9_sQCDW95LW7pvhAe

Watch "Transwold Motocross Skills 3" in that list. They talk about "staying central" on the bike. That does not mean that you don't want to be forward on the bike in turns... 

A number of years back, when I got back into riding after being poor during college, me and my riding buddy met up with some guys on the trails up at Jones Creek. They were enjoying a fat one. They were a little older riding what looked like clapped out bikes. We were on newer bikes, had been riding every weekend for months, so we thought we'd school em'. Those dudes totally checkout out! We were amazed! Might be something too your point. ;)

The staging areas around here are muy fragrante. Its not for me though, I have enough trouble with coordination.

1 minute ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Once not too long back at a race day, first freaking thing in the morning at like 6:30 am, even before practice laps I could smell that smell. My thought was "great, I'm going to be on a track racing with freaky fast guys with zero inhibition; me, I'm going to be tight, nervous and a scaredy cat".

13 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

The staging areas around here are muy fragrante. Its not for me though, I have enough trouble with coordination.

Weed can make you very focused but would not and never have racing . Adrenaline takes over :ride:

Edited by Motox367
20 minutes ago, Diamond-Dave said:

HA... totally get it IVUSMC , I'm 56 and still racing , NHHA, Desert, GP's. In 2006 I had a really bad high side, broke 6 ribs, punchard/bruised left lung, bruised heart, clavicle in 3 pcs, 3 pneumothorax’s. Required 9 days ICU (coded 3 times) and 23 days in hospital. 2 months out of the hospital I picked up a 50th Anny R1 for commuting… But I have slowed down some, attitude is I have to go to work Monday. 

BEST sticker on my bike I got from Malcolm Smith riding with him and JN Roberts in Montana...

IMG_0351.JPG

This is meant to be words of encouragement?

IMG_0351.JPG.44a6ce2a2b3ff7d35d69d26d5383821c.JPG

That's horrible bud. I'm sorry to hear that. I'd be tempted to not ride again after having something like that happen. And that's pretty cool that you got to ride with malcom smith. And I have the same attitude about getting hurt. All my friends are great riders so sometimes it's tempting not to push myself beyond my limits.

To the OP it will all come in time. Just keep riding and don't ride over your head. I was on a KX 250 2t when I was about 14-15 and absolutely loved the power. I once rode a yz 125 and it felt like a gutless wonder. When I got back into riding I got a 250f and had it for about a year and got my 450. I love the 450 and would never go back to a smaller bike but that's just me. Like posted there are lots of instructional videos on YouTube. The best thing to do is not to over think everything when riding and take your time.

IVUSMC, NO quitting here... I've been riding since I was 8, so 48 years in the saddle. I grew up not far from Malcolm's shop and some old SoCAL MX tracks and the hills and desert a stone throw away. I've been very blessed to ride, race and train with many legends. I currently have 7 bikes in the garage and I'm the only one in the house currently riding. Couple of the machines are collectibles that mean something to me. An I have a wife that understands and gets this riding need since I taught her how to ride at 16 when she was the High School GF, she rode until she was 32. So living a blessed life on 2 wheels. So at 56 I see a lot of open road, trails and courses still out there... And as cool as it is to ride and see Malcolm often there are a few others that have as much or more impact in my life over the years. Seeing Malcolm is like going to the garage to see Pops, still very cool as most these legends are the coolest, most humble people and even with many of them being between 40-76 yrs young they can still kick ass once the helmet is strapped on... CHEERS. 

18 hours ago, GoneDirtBikeN said:

Yes, but there is much more out there that is specifically MX related too. Since you posted in MX and you have an MX oriented bike, I assume you have a good interest in MX.

A collection of MX instructional videos that I've gathered from youTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxR86UD-Ub2qidml9_sQCDW95LW7pvhAe

Watch "Transwold Motocross Skills 3" in that list. They talk about "staying central" on the bike. That does not mean that you don't want to be forward on the bike in turns... 

Wow, that's a nice playlist. Thanks, man.

On 8/3/2017 at 1:52 PM, Motox367 said:

Weed can make you very focused but would not and never have racing . Adrenaline takes over :ride:

As a person with bad anxiety and an adrenaline disorder, I pretty much HAVE to smoke tweeds to stay focused.  If I don't smoke, I'm super tense and nervous and pump up after only a couple of laps.  Alcohol on the other hand, I wait until after I'm done riding.  I love beer, but every time I've ridden buzzed on suds I've gone down in a turn or rut.

Marijuana=focus

Alcohol=slow decision making

For me anyway.  But, yeah.  As mentioned, just stick with it and be patient with your progress.  Also riding with friends who have experience makes a huge difference.  Just following them around the track helps you know what speeds you should take certain sections of the track at.  But for me, cornering has been the most challenging.  And I continue to focus on that on turn tracks.

48 minutes ago, High On Octane said:

As a person with bad anxiety and an adrenaline disorder, I pretty much HAVE to smoke tweeds to stay focused.  If I don't smoke, I'm super tense and nervous and pump up after only a couple of laps.  Alcohol on the other hand, I wait until after I'm done riding.  I love beer, but every time I've ridden buzzed on suds I've gone down in a turn or rut.

Marijuana=focus

Alcohol=slow decision making

For me anyway.  But, yeah.  As mentioned, just stick with it and be patient with your progress.  Also riding with friends who have experience makes a huge difference.  Just following them around the track helps you know what speeds you should take certain sections of the track at.  But for me, cornering has been the most challenging.  And I continue to focus on that on turn tracks.

Some people handle it different that's for sure . Myself ive never drank, smoked ciggs heck never had a energy drink lol it's just recreational for me . Heading to practice track hope everyone has good day :ride: 

Edited by Motox367
2 hours ago, Motox367 said:

Some people handle it different that's for sure . Myself ive never drank, smoked ciggs heck never had a energy drink lol it's just recreational for me . Heading to practice track hope everyone has good day :ride: 

Same to you! Today is an Over The Hill Gang (OTHG) night race for me! Imagine a bunch of old guys with bad night time vision that don't even like to drive on the highway at night... LoL

Edited by GoneDirtBikeN

I remember when I first started riding. It's a little edgy at first, but as you gain more seat time you'll get better/faster. When I started out I didn't go any higher than like 2nd or 3rd gear lol. Took me a few months till I got courageous enough to test 6th gear on my bike. Then I was introduced to corners. What I've found easy for me in corners is to use your inside leg as a counterweight, either stick it out or whatever is comfortable. It also helps with low speed tight corners since you can plant it when your throwing your bike around the corner.

1 hour ago, GoneDirtBikeN said:

Same to you! Today is an Over The Hill Gang (OTHG) night race for me! Imagine a bunch of old guys with bad night time vision that don't even like to drive on the highway at night... LoL

Nice lol night races are cool and fun. In my late teens early 20's I use to do a nightcross series they called it fun times back in my 125c-b days :ride:

Edited by Motox367
On 8/5/2017 at 10:50 AM, Motox367 said:

Nice lol night races are cool and fun. In my 20's I use to do a nightcross series they called it fun times back in the 125b days

Well I confirmed my night vision is not the best - LoL. My second moto of the race I got the time after sunset but before it was dark enough for the lights to work well. I rode well but I was not that fast. I just moved from beginner to novice not too long ago and I finished 9th out of 11 in my class (52+ Novice). 2nd moto me and another were battling and exchanging positions a few times. We came into the last corner of a chicane and were passing a lap rider. I was just ahead because I just passed him going into the first turn of this chicane. Lapper was riding the center and he was on the outside. I took the inside. Unexpectedly he cut to the inside where I was. I hit the front brake a little too hard and the dirt was a bit dry and loose - washed out my front tire and did a step-off. Cost me about 20 seconds getting back up and going. I finished last. I was a bit peeved about the sudden cut but as they say "it's racing".

Actually I'm happy that I demonstrated that I can at least give some of the others in that class a run for their money.

But as always the OTHG race was a blast. Definitely worth doing it again.