XR650L starter gear & sprag sizes

I am looking to see if anyone would happen to have their motor apart or an extra starter gear sitting that could get me some sizes . I'm looking for the OD of the gear surface where the sprag grabs plus the OD of the sprag itself . A project/retrofit I'm looking to do and was seeing if the XR starter setup would fit or can be modded to fit on another motor's flywheel since that one is no longer available .

Thanks for any help

It isn't the tooth count I need , it's the dia of the center hub that the sprag rides on and grabs when the starter drives it . I'm hoping to use the Honda sprag on my gear if I can just turn the gear hub down , If the Honda sprag is bigger I'm shit out of luck with this option.

Edited by jjktmrider

On 8/3/2017 at 1:17 PM, jjktmrider said:

...I'm looking for the OD of the gear surface where the sprag grabs plus the OD of the sprag itself...

Sprag inner race 2.273" OD

Sprag outer race 2.931" ID is the best I can get.  I don't have sprag rockers and cage removed from the flywheel and there aren't any notches 180° out in the cage to get an exact measurement.

I'll have it apart for a couple more days if I can get you anything else.

Edited by Hollerhead

Thank you that's exactly what I was after . Ironically ,what I thought they looked the same as my Yamaha ones and your dimensions are just about the same confirm it, mine are 57.5mm ID(2.263") x 74.5mm od(2.933") , only a person can still get the Honda parts, or at least considerably cheaper than a few NOS stuff.

Thanks again !

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1