Engine Temperature

What is everyone getting for the average engine temperature using a vapor with the pickup under the plug?

Mine is not a vapor. I can't recall, but it is under the plug. 325 average on my 230 playing around in the woods. On my KTM Freeride, I average 145

My XR218 seems to run in the 300F+ range in the woods, sometimes high 300s on gnarly tight ST or long climbs thru switchbacks.  I've seen above 400F on a long climb up to a ridge in the Cascade mountains on a hot day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jpxj2 said:

What is everyone getting for the average engine temperature using a vapor with the pickup under the plug?

Within what sort of context?  Slow?  Fast?  Low load?  High load?

Mine can swing wildly in just a few minutes.  Do a hard long slow climb and temps will be very high as Chuck stated above.  Do an easy fast long run and temps will stay very low.

High CR with short/small cam profile (like me and Chuck) results in very high cylinder pressure at very low engine speeds.  When the going gets slow and there's not a lot of air moving over the fins (or they are plugged with junk) head temps rise rapidly.  Chugging in a high gear under a lot of load also results in high temps.  A quick downshift and increase in engine speed reduces temp.

Usually high temp 350 when running high gear open trail.  The problem is I am not used to air cooled engines and that just seemed high.  So is 350 high or about normal?

2 minutes ago, Jpxj2 said:

Usually high temp 350 when running high gear open trail.  The problem is I am not used to air cooled engines and that just seemed high.  So is 350 high or about normal?

If it is a stock engine that seems high to me given what I have seen here in NC when my engine was stock.

Are you jetted properly with proper float level?

Jetted proper , plug looks good ,but will check float level this weekend.  The day that I was riding outside temp was 91 and humid.  I am also going to change oil this weekend.  

9 hours ago, Jpxj2 said:

Jetted proper , plug looks good ,but will check float level this weekend.  The day that I was riding outside temp was 91 and humid.  I am also going to change oil this weekend.  

Are you using a good MC oil?

Honda GN4.  this weekend was thinking about switching to amsoil or shell rotella t6. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jpxj2 said:

Honda GN4.  this weekend was thinking about switching to amsoil or shell rotella t6. 

I use Shell Rotella T6 in all four of my bikes.  Prior to that I used Castrol Actevo X-tra 4T, which was fine but I had clunky/notchy shifting.

My Vapor is set to light yellow at 300 F and red at 350 F.  It is rarely red even after cam and piston.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VortecCPI said:

I use Shell Rotella T6 in all four of my bikes.  Prior to that I used Castrol Actevo X-tra 4T, which was fine but I had clunky/notchy shifting.

My Vapor is set to light yellow at 300 F and red at 350 F.  It is rarely red even after cam and piston.

I just used Castrol Actevo 4t and am experiencing the same with the shifting in both my xr600r and crf230f. Seems to get a little better when hot but still sucks. Was running the Lucas motorcycle oil and had zero shifting problems.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ricky racer said:

I just used Castrol Actevo 4t and am experiencing the same with the shifting in both my xr600r and crf230f. Seems to get a little better when hot but still sucks. Was running the Lucas motorcycle oil and had zero shifting problems.

My 2009 was just awful but my buddy's 2003 was not that bad.  Both are awful compared to the two late-model XR250s we had.  The Shell Rotella T6 really helped the CRF230 and also helped the Yamaha SRX600 and Suzuki LS6650.  The Suzuki has very little mileage and shifted horribly.  It is much better now.

My buddy uses Mobil1 V-Twin MC oil in his late-model XR250 and that thing is quiet and smooth.

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 1

I've only seen the T6 in 5W-40.

I've seen T4 in 15W-40 and 10W-30.

And T5 in 10W-30 which I use in all the late model cars.

My air-cooled bikes get 20W-50 synthetic.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Baja Rambler said:

I've only seen the T6 in 5W-40.

I've seen T4 in 15W-40 and 10W-30.

And T5 in 10W-30 which I use in all the late model cars.

My air-cooled bikes get 20W-50 synthetic.

Oops.  I believe you are correct that it was 5W-40.  The stuff I have on the shelf now is 0W-40.

Just now, VortecCPI said:

Oops.  I believe you are correct that it was 5W-40.  The stuff I have on the shelf now is 0W-40.

Interesting? Was the 0W-40 from Wally World?

I wonder if it's the same formula.

I find 0W very strange????? It sounds like they made water into oil.

• Like 1

There was a post in Bob's the Oil guy or a BMW forum that had viscosity info on the Mobil 1 0W-40 oil as it relates to a Castrol syn that BMW sells, both meet a ACEA requirement for long oil change intervals. They said the the Mobil 1 was at the low end of the 40 viscosity range and the BMW oil at the high end of the 30 viscosity range so they were very close to each other; similar thing could be happening with the W ratings because the BMW oil was a 5W-30.

I smoked a clutch using a Mobil 1 car oil so be careful. And Mobil does sell motorcycle specific oils.

Went up and got some T6 today and changed the oil.  Temperatures were a bit lower, shifted like butter, but.  Yes ha e to ask the thing seems very noisy now.  Is this normalmgwith the T6?