Works Connection Skid Plate on an 08 CRF450R...

So the 08 450r I just picked up came with a couple boxes of spare parts,... plastic, factory springs, factory clutch and brake perches,.. AND, a Works Connection Skid plate!

I asked the guy why he didn't have it on and I figured the answer was because he was only racing MX (C class) .... but he spouted off about it didn't allow the frame to flex like it is supposed to.... :excuseme:  Of course I had to research this one and as it turns out there are a lot of folks out there who claim the same thing,... even so much so that WC started making them with the RIMS system which basically allows the skid plate to sort of float on some rubber grommets while still giving protection. Here's a link to the Titanium Bolt Kit for that set up:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/988/66269/Works-Connection-RIMS-Skid-Plate-Titanium-Bolt-Kit-

So I've read where some guys took there original and modded it with some rubber spacers and what not so that it would not impede frame flex and I figured that would be easy enough to do so I started researching that aspect of it - Then I decided to contact Works Connection just to get a better idea of what the RIMS set up was like ... turns out you can by the bolt and grommet kit for like $8.79 shipped (Probably not the Ti version but still...) It sounds like all I have to do is make the existing holes big enough to accept the rubber grommets and then use the new bolts to secure the plate to the frame via using the original "clamp brackets" ... 

I'm in the process of sanding down and semi-polishing out the skid plate now, I'm going to clear coat it with some Eastwood "Diamond Clear" Gloss .... I know it probably wont last that long or great, but my goal is just to get it cleaned up real good and put a smooth finish on it so that it's easier to clean going through the car wash - I've got a set of WC Engine guards I'm doing this to as well - we'll see how it all turns out.

Keep in mind this is not a thread to start a debate about frame flex or anything like that, just want to pass on this info incase someone else is interested in doing the same.. I'll update this thread with the progress of this project along with some pics ;)

Thanks

Rick

9 hours ago, HRC27 said:

Yeah, I've read that before.  A common Joe would likely never feel the difference.

You'd be surprised on this one. I felt the difference on my 03. They also reflect a bunch of noise back up at the rider.

Unfortunately for me I really won't have the chance to test the bike with out it and then with it ... and honestly I think I'd fall into that "Average Joe" category :D 

I also heard about the noise issue,.. I wonder if the foam that's supposed to go between the guard and the engine would help reduce the noise a little bit (I don't have the foam currently..) ?

I'm hoping to get this thing fired back up this evening. I re-mounted the carb last night and took some extra time routing all the cables and wiring, .. cleaned up the air box and subframe and got it all mounted up along with the rear shock. - I'll tell you what, I think there could be a MUCH better system to secure the airfilter in the air box,.. getting that wing-nut bolt to start was the hardest thing I did last night!  :banghead:

:D

3 hours ago, WERNER1 said:

getting that wing-nut bolt to start was the hardest thing I did last night!  :banghead:

:D

I drilled an 8mm hole directly behind the screw, threw away that stupid wing nut and use a long allen screw. Put the screw i the filter cage, run the screw in using a long allen driver. Done. And that screw can be longer. I used a really long one and ground the threads off for a pilot. Made starting and removing that screw a no brainer.

I just installed a WC SP on my 06.....what in the eternal *&^#!  Total bastard to install, and the noise....sucks!  Didn't come with any foam but I have some high density rubberish type foam stuff I may try and cram in there.  Thought I was in the clear till I went to install the WC rad braces...just as much a pain in the butt since the prev owner installed aftermarket rads and left the spacers out of the grommets....sigh.

On 8/4/2017 at 3:15 AM, Shawn_Mc said:

You'd be surprised on this one. I felt the difference on my 03. They also reflect a bunch of noise back up at the rider.

I should have said I didn't notice it. But I'm getting older and slower. :facepalm: