Clutch slips after brand new install

I bought a EBC clutch kit with both plates and springs for my 1986 kx 80. After installing everything it still slips. Since then I have re-opened the clutch cover too many times to count trying to adjust the springs right but it does not work. Please help.

Check the cable play , alot of times it's adjusted for the worn plates so when you put new ones it's like the clutch it's slightly pulled already if you don't give the cable some slack

Sent from my Moto G (4) using ThumperTalk mobile app

I have adjusted it everyway I can, no good results

Do you have a manual ? Here's a pic I just pulled from the net . Screenshot_20170803-181553.thumb.png.e06b664a0dfbf0d2f61efb534fb5b8b4.pngScreenshot_20170803-181606.thumb.png.9b2d2def1d5d4f6e68d0cdc6f4d2ef1d.pngScreenshot_20170803-181620.thumb.png.dfe9d5c06da332b24d4afca54c65007c.png

Yes I do. When I tighten the springs to much the clutch doesn't work at all, and when I have the half tight it slips, and if they are too loose it clacks on the clutch cover. I'm really tired of taking the clutch cover on and off.

There's no adjustment at those springs they just need to be torqued to spec . Also make sure that bearing part that goes to the cover is not backwards because I believe it could go the wrong way I vaguely remember having a issue like your saying and it was something with that bearing that goes into that plate

There's no adjustment at those springs they just need to be torqued to spec . Also make sure that bearing part that goes to the cover is not backwards because I believe it could go the wrong way I vaguely remember having a issue like your saying and it was something with that bearing that goes into that plate

I don't have a torque wrench that goes under 10 ft/lbs. I'll check the bearing tomorrow when I start fresh but I'm pretty sure it's the same as I took it out.

Did you coat the friction plates with oil before installing ?  (ideally soaking them for a while)

The clutch spring bolts need to be tight. 10 ft./lbs. is too tight. That much will most likely strip the pressure plate. I would guess you have one of the three washers missing, or in the wrong order. 

The clutch spring bolts need to be tight. 10 ft./lbs. is too tight. That much will most likely strip the pressure plate. I would guess you have one of the three washers missing, or in the wrong order. 

Actually in the manual it shows that you only need 2 washers, I put in the whole assembly according to the manual except the torque specs on the springs, however the spring bolts don't even get remotely tight until they are completed seated which leaves the actuator nothing more to push in. This clutch is known to be backwards and frustrating I can not find a solution anywhere.IMG_4937.PNG

There is one behind the basket and two in front. You could check the thickness of the old clutch pack and compare it to the new one. They should have the same amount of plates and be similar in size.

There is one behind the basket and two in front. You could check the thickness of the old clutch pack and compare it to the new one. They should have the same amount of plates and be similar in size.

Are you familiar with this engine? The manual only says 2 washers and I don't wanna add one when it shouldn't be there. Also the new plates match well to the old ones.

I am very familiar with this type of clutch. I am not telling you to add anything. I am saying there are a total of 3 washers. The one behind the basket is different than the 2 in front. I just happen to be bored enough to try to help you get it figured out. I can find something else to do if I am offending you.

I am very familiar with this type of clutch. I am not telling you to add anything. I am saying there are a total of 3 washers. The one behind the basket is different than the 2 in front. I just happen to be bored enough to try to help you get it figured out. I can find something else to do if I am offending you.

Lol didn't know I was sounding rude to you, my bad. I appreciate the help. Would you know the size of the washer that goes behind the basket?

The size of the washer behind the basket is 28mm outer diameter, 17.3mm inner diameter, and 1mm thickness. This info is available on parts store websites. If you have lost it, it is probably in your oil drain pan.

The size of the washer behind the basket is 28mm outer diameter, 17.3mm inner diameter, and 1mm thickness. This info is available on parts store websites. If you have lost it, it is probably in your oil drain pan.

Ok so that is the kind of washer I bought, 17.3x28x1. Now I need to know the size of the washer outside of the basket because all the part websites just say "washer, plain". Also to be clear, I should put two washers right on top of eachother like shown the this diagram? Thanks!IMG_4939.JPG

You are correct that it does not give a size for those washers. Are they missing?

Yes. I only have ones the size of the '92022A' washer. It takes a couple weeks for these items to ship since I'm in Canada, it would be much easier if I could just find the measurements of it. Also do I put the '92022B' washers directly against eachother on the inside of the basket? And do you think a Kawasaki dealership would have those washers in stock? Thanks again.

It looks like they are discontinued. Not available from kawasaki. There is an ebay seller that has them. You may be able to get measurements from him or just order them from him. 92022-281 is the actual part number of the washers. How many washers do you have?

Edited by 351mustanger