Is it worth it?

So I found what seems to be a pretty good deal for a 2005 150r. It's been sitting for about a year and won't start now. It sounds to me like it's just a dirty carb which isn't a big deal. Let's say that's all that's wrong with it at the moment. My question is, is it worth it to get a 250r? I do mostly trail riding and I've heard that these engines are very finicky and require a lot of maintenance. If I'm not constantly pushing the limit with it and bouncing it off the redline would I still need valves changed every 10hrs or so? Basically what I'm asking is that if I take good care of the bike will I still be spending a fortune on maintaining it? I've been riding a 150f for a while which is a pig and requires basically no maintaining. Time for a bigger bike and I'm trying to decide between the 250r or a cr125. Thanks

Also, would trail riding cause it to overheat easily? I've never owned a new liquid cooled bike and I'm not sure how these race bikes are. Plenty of the old Honda air cooled four wheelers though

If you are mostly into trail riding and don't plan any motocross track rides, don't buy an MX race bike

but rather an off-road / enduro specific bike, (CRF250X, WR250F etc.)

Torquier engine caracteristics, wide-ratio gearbox, lights, plusher suspension, etc etc.

all make them better suited for just about any type of recreational riding except motocross.

And yes a high performance 4-stroke race bike is more prone to overheat in low speed situations.

Where a CRF150F can sit and idle all day creeping along a slow technical trail,

a CRF250R will boil over if idled more than a few minutes.

Cooling fans are optional on many enduro bikes. (which have a battery / e-start)

Edited by mlatour

The trails I ride aren't slow and technical but they are far from an mx track. I would like to get into some tracks (not a competition just hit the track for the day with some buddies) but I can't do that now. I would prefer a 250x but I am on a limited budget. Would an r work on a moderate speed trail? And how are they as far as regularly maintaining. Lots of work? Sorry I'm new to these bikes

The only reason I don't hit tracks now is because I have a 150f

I have a 150f and those came out in 03. You're right though, the r came out in 07

Sorry in my original post I meant to put 250r I would like to move up to a 250r and all my questions were in reference to that

Older 4-stroke 250's MX bikes are a big gamble, even if not raced,

most are at the point they need and engine overhaul, the common reason the owner is getting rid of it.

As an example, a worn engine likely won't grenade simply trail riding but,

if the valves are due for replacement, it will get to a point the engine will be next to impossible to start.

You're talking about an already 12 year old dirt bike (early CRF's especially weren't the most durable engines),

apart from regular maintenance and wear items (chain, sprockets, tires, oil & filters etc.)

would you be ready to invest 1000$ in rebuilding the engine and suspension later on down the road?

(even rebuilt, you'll still have mostly a 12+ year old bike)

On a limited budget, if you mostly trail ride I'd say consider moving to a CRF230F,

maintain it well, keep it stock (don't invest in mods) 

and save up for a newer bike better suited to your usage. (mostly off-road with occasional MX)

Say a CRF250X or WR250F etc.

Edited by mlatour