RMZ450's are they that bad?

The only Suzuki I have ever owned was back in the mid 1990's and it was a 1990 DR100 air cooled 4T with a steel gas tank, that did a number on the old nuts a time or two. After the DR I have always had KX's. This is my 3rd year back after not riding in almost 13 years and in a year or 2 I am looking to get a much newer bike than my current 08 K450 which is a good bike just bulky and outdated. This 2018 RM450 looks like it has good potential to be a good contender with the rest of the Jap bikes so I am thinking of trying out a Suzuki just to step outside of the box and try something else. I have read all the magazine shootout reviews and obviously Suzuki always comes in last place. So I would like some real world info from weekend warriors like myself on the RM450.

Thanks

• Like 2

I love my 13 rmz 450, it may come in last in the mag shootouts but I can stay in front of my buddy on his crf 450. It does not matter to me that the other bikes are faster I'm on the track having fun. I'm selling my 13 at the end of season for the new 18 can't wait.

Sent from my SM-G950W using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

Ride one. You would love it. Can't wait until 18 come out. Money already waiting.

• Like 1

I think the main reason I am looking into the new RM450 is the spring forks. I have never owned air forks and have no experience, but from what info I gather on the internet and the magazines they are not exactly the most popular. I know some like them and I may be wrong. Also I think any bike that has 50hp or above is more than plenty for the average rider.  I do know the magazines dog the RM450 for being heavy and sketchy on the straights with breaking bumps but they are supposed to steer very well. As for the weight I believe my 08 KX450 is at like 244lbs so that's not light at all. And a good excuse to try something else to step outside of the box lol.

• Like 2

The RMZ is a VERY good bike. Take what you read in those reviews with a grain of salt. 

Us average Joe's have figured out ways to fix every issue that the mags complain about. Most of them without having to spend a dollar. Every bike has it's problems and every bike can be good. Just depends on what you want out of the bike. 

I've been on Suzuki since 2012 after being on Yamaha for 20 some years before that. I have already put a down payment on an 18' RMZ. I am buying the RMZ for a reason. It is a great bike and still out handles anything on the market. I suits my style very well.

• Like 2

Sounds like I just need to find someone with an RM and try their bike out. 20 years on a certain brand is a long time and there must be a reason why you switched from the Yamaha to the Suzuki. I will say that my KX450 might not be the best cornering but does handle very well in the straights on deep sand and rough track sections, it stays planted. I may have to find a Suzuki test day somewhere to ride new 18. If I did get an 18 I would wait for a leftover to keep the cost down.

• Like 1

Suzukis are some of the most fun bikes to ride. I loved every one I've ever had. Long-term I found the quality to be slightly down compared to some other brands, but not anything major. I think sometimes the shootouts mask how good those bikes really are. Also, depending on your riding style, it might suit you better than the other brand bikes. The handling is truly is awesome, for someone who appreciates sharp cornering.

2 minutes ago, ah665 said:

Suzukis are some of the most fun bikes to ride. I loved every one I've ever had. Long-term I found the quality to be slightly down compared to some other brands, but not anything major. I think sometimes the shootouts mask how good those bikes really are. Also, depending on your riding style, it might suit you better than the other brand bikes. The handling is truly is awesome, for someone who appreciates sharp cornering.

I have read that before that sometimes the quality lacks on the Suzuki's and that the clutches tend to wear fast. But the mags use riders who are fast and can beat on a bike as I highly doubt they are using weekend warriors like myself who average probably 10 hrs a month on the bike.

• Like 1

I doubt it would be a significant improvement over your current bike.  It will be a different chassis, probably sharper handling at the expense of stability, but that's usually something the pro's appreciate more than the weekend rider.

Not likely worth the money just to have a newer version of the same thing you already have now that does all the same things.  You already have spring forks, the best ever made by many accounts.  Same as the Yamaha SSS with different valving.

RMZ450's are very good bikes it's just that they are competing against better bikes.  Like the KTM450 is lighter, more powerful and has electric start, but it will cost you 2k more...  Depending on where and how you ride none of that may make a difference, or all of it could.  In any case, a new bike is still a new bike and if you can swing a deal go for it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, turbo dan said:

I doubt it would be a significant improvement over your current bike.  It will be a different chassis, probably sharper handling at the expense of stability, but that's usually something the pro's appreciate more than the weekend rider.

Not likely worth the money just to have a newer version of the same thing you already have now that does all the same things.  You already have spring forks, the best ever made by many accounts.  Same as the Yamaha SSS with different valving.

You caught me again on the Suzuki side Dan lol. It sounds like your trying to pursue me from buying a new bike lol. Or are you saying not worth spending the money on a brand new one or even a left over at a discounted price?

30 minutes ago, zig06 said:

RMZ450's are very good bikes it's just that they are competing against better bikes.  Like the KTM450 is lighter, more powerful and has electric start, but it will cost you 2k more...  Depending on where and how you ride none of that may make a difference, or all of it could.  In any case, a new bike is still a new bike and if you can swing a deal go for it.

All makes sense zig. I guess for someone like me any bike would be good as I don't race and I do not have a whole lot of time to ride. But my current bike is 10 years old and I would like to have something newer. And while KTMs are nice I don't care for the E leg or that it's faster. The less weight might be nice but I can live with a little heavier. And I only ride MX as we have a private track and go to local tracks, I don't find woods riding much fun. Another factor is the fact that a new bike is clean and not all beat to hell, I know they get beat up a little but at least it would be nice to start with new bike that could be babied lol.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, IraqvetUSMC said:

You caught me again on the Suzuki side Dan lol. It sounds like your trying to pursue me from buying a new bike lol. Or are you saying not worth spending the money on a brand new one or even a left over at a discounted price?

If you've got the money I would say get what you really want.  Its just a lot of money to spend on a maybe slightly, incrementally better bike when your old bike does all the same stuff with that eight grand still in your pocket.

10 minutes ago, turbo dan said:

If you've got the money I would say get what you really want.  Its just a lot of money to spend on a maybe slightly, incrementally better bike when your old bike does all the same stuff with that eight grand still in your pocket.

I am sure your right on that part. 8K is a lot of money, I picked up my 08 KX450 for under 2K and put about $500 in it on what was needed and cosmetically to make it look good. Im sure fuel injection is a nice upgrade though. 

Carb'd motor runs great too.  No fuel pump, no injector. 

FI is good for street bikes.  Four carbs is a pain in the ass.  Dirt bikes, one carb, no problem.  Gravity supplies your fuel and a bunch of for the most part non moving parts does the rest.

I bought leftover new 14 model rmz450 about 4 months ago. I have never, ever, seen.a bike whose front tire feels as "planted" as this bike. Every other bike I ride seems skatey and nervous at low speeds, as if it has a too light front end. The rmz is stable as a battleship. Now when the speeds increase, that rmz front wheel will hunt around and scare the shit out of you lol. Great engines as well. 

• Like 3

These bikes are a solid choice for 99% of the riders out there. You can get them inexpensively and there's a wealth of knowledge and information to dial them in. Look at the Vet classes at LL, the RMZ-450 is doing just fine. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, zig06 said:

You are right. The KTM for example is probably the best overall 450 for the broadest range of riders. However, like Racher420 said, if you love that cornering and front end bike, then the RMZ can still be the best choice for that particular rider. They really are sweet bikes. 

• Like 2

Shop the very lightly used or a leftover of any brand. I've long had my eye set on a new/late model KX250F after riding a nice older one that was setup well. Found one that was moderately abused for not that much money. $3,700 for a 2016 KX250F a month ago. IMO, the market does not favor Kawasaki or Suzuki. Capitalize on that. 

This is my first F.I. dirt bike. Definitely like it and not afraid of it failing. My motor is supposed to fail too - and soon. People who don't own newer bikes like to throw rocks at those who do. That's fine. 

• Like 3