Rear brakes gone at 4K kms

Just had to change my rear brakes, trying to figure out what went wrong , I may have my rear brake set to touchy. I don't drag my foot on them. Any ideas?

Check rear wheel alignment.  Most people that ride the rear brake don't know it.  Ask a buddy if you ride with one if the brake light is on when riding.  

• Like 2

I ride mine mostly dirt and at 2200miles they are like new.

Check rear wheel alignment.  Most people that ride the rear brake don't know it.  Ask a buddy if you ride with one if the brake light is on when riding.  

I ride with balls of my feet on pegs mainly so no chance of dragging rear brake. I use the rear brake a ton in the dirt , read others who have done that have fast wearing rears. I also think when I changed brake levers I adjusted it wrong to the point of to sensitive . Will have to check that adjustment again.
  • Like 1

I almost never touch my rear brake. I find the L has excellent engine compression / breaking and I really only use my front brake and downshifting. In fact last weekend I bent my rear brake pedal to the point where it was touching the clutch cover near the beginning of the ride and I went at least 4 hours riding after that and really didn't even miss it.

Maybe try some Sintered pads, they are a little more expensive but wear like iron.

If you ride in wet and muddy conditions your brakes can wear fast. How much use was offroad vs street. 

Edited by GreenMT_Rider

I need the rear brake off road I am going down lotsa steep stuff, and I pretty much ride to trails only had lots of muddy riding this year , makes sense that I was just hard on them. I think I will check the adjustment on these and monitor the new ones. Thx for all your feedback

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cyclic said:

I need the rear brake off road I am going down lotsa steep stuff

I've watched a few of your vids and you quite often clutch-in and freewheel down slopes using the brakes, as opposed to coming down under engine braking...that might be part of it?

• Like 1

Hard to say, could definitely be riding style.  I've gone through 2 or more sets of rears before 1 set of fronts when riding almost entirely offroad, between slick stuff, trail braking, and riding with slow groups I tend to use the engine and rear brake to slow down, and use the front just to balance when traction is good, or downhill.  On the street I do the opposite, downshift and front brake to slow down, rear brake to balance it, or when it's slippery, and the pads end up lasting about the same, or the rear outlasts the front.  As long as you have them adjusted properly, they aren't overheating, you  aren't resting your foot on the lever, and there isn't a problem with something sticking, I wouldn't worry about it.

I've watched a few of your vids and you quite often clutch-in and freewheel down slopes using the brakes, as opposed to coming down under engine braking...that might be part of it?

Could be it, I am not a huge fan of engine braking on the really long slight downhill stuff. I like to glide and use the brakes. I adjusted my rear brake slightly also. Hope that's got it now. May go back to not being lazy and grab a gear up on the downhills to keep speed up. Thanks for the observations / recommendations.
  • Like 2