Blue discolouration on inside of engine

Split cases, saw some blue discolouration on some of the metal. Can't think of the part name as I type this but I'll post a photo in a sec

Edited by thredbo

20170804_194310.thumb.jpg.f94c6fe1c1bc5fed12942d849297dcfb.jpg

This is what I'm talking about. What caused this to turn blue? Does it matter?

Normal but what's the sparkling pile of metal on the table?

Edited by gitenby

Normal but what's the sparkling pile of metal on the table?

Had to grind a slot into a stripped bolt head with a dremel, and then I had some shavings in my engine from a slipping 3rd and 5th gear. The stuff on the table is probably a mixture of both

Sent from my SM-G920I using ThumperTalk mobile app

I was going to say something about your original post

"My bike developed a 5th gear slip that got worse with time - at first, it would sometimes slip, then re-engage, at full throttle and max acceleration. Then it got worse, and eventually got to the point where any acceleration in 5th would result in constant slipping.

I disregarded a clutch issue, as it only happened in 5th.

I asked on the forums, and someone else with the same issue suggested that 3rd and 5th pinion was buggered, with the cause being a bent shift fork. I ordered the parts, and have just split my cases to have a look at my trans, which looks fine. 3rd and 5th look new, there's no chunks taken out on either gear, and the shift fork looks as straight as the replacement one I ordered. However, there are a few metal pieces/shavings in the bottom of the engine beside the oil drain bolt. So something in there is not as it should be. I've had a quick look and everything in there looks ok at this stage.

Has anyone got any ideas of what my issue could be in there, and what I shook look at again more closely? Is it possible its actually my clutch thats buggered, but somehow only affected 5th gear?"

Like why would you order parts without even knowing what the cause was ?

I was going to say something about your original post

"My bike developed a 5th gear slip that got worse with time - at first, it would sometimes slip, then re-engage, at full throttle and max acceleration. Then it got worse, and eventually got to the point where any acceleration in 5th would result in constant slipping.

I disregarded a clutch issue, as it only happened in 5th.

I asked on the forums, and someone else with the same issue suggested that 3rd and 5th pinion was buggered, with the cause being a bent shift fork. I ordered the parts, and have just split my cases to have a look at my trans, which looks fine. 3rd and 5th look new, there's no chunks taken out on either gear, and the shift fork looks as straight as the replacement one I ordered. However, there are a few metal pieces/shavings in the bottom of the engine beside the oil drain bolt. So something in there is not as it should be. I've had a quick look and everything in there looks ok at this stage.

Has anyone got any ideas of what my issue could be in there, and what I shook look at again more closely? Is it possible its actually my clutch thats buggered, but somehow only affected 5th gear?"

Like why would you order parts without even knowing what the cause was ?

Yeah sorry, I'm an idiot and I checked the wrong gears at first and didn't check the others closely enough to correct my mistake before I posted. My bad. Decided to change the post instead of deleting it.

I ordered the parts cos I'm impatient and they were gonna take 4 weeks to get here. Turns out I was correct, the 3rd and 5th contact points have rounded off, so I got the right parts. Still shouldn't have ordered them before I got into the engine, but at least I'm not wrong and didn't waste my money

Sent from my SM-G920I using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1