08 CRF-450R buy with with high hours?

I'm planning to look at an 08 CRF450R this weekend.  I'll be up front.... This thing has been USED LOTS and comes in at 185 hrs.  Aftermarket plastics (read: more use). Albeit, the seller has all the right answers.  Puts in a new top-end and replaces all bearings each season on top of all the oil/filter changes in between with receipts and maintenance log.  From discussions, I picture the guy very methodical whom doesn't miss a stitch.  

The only thing that bothers me is the high hours...  I'd almost rather consider this 08 with high hours rather than an 08 barn bike with half the hours because I know this guy has kept up with it so well.   It all comes down to the tranny with 185 hrs.   Is this a warning sign to the masses here?

A well maintained bike with high hours can be better than a low hour poorly maintained one. 185 hours for an 08 is lightly used. My 08 (WR250F) has 180, though I have never had to touch the engine, 3% leak down last check, valves never moved.

Price for the bike should be market value with no consideration added for any servicing. I question why he has had to rebuild the engine so much, sounds to me like he beats on it.

All bikes for sale have 'just rebuilt' engines. Be wary.

• Like 2

Regardless, it is almost a decade old bike. 

Maybe a few hundred more than another '08 if it's mechanically sound, but you can't always trust the seller.

• Like 1

it all depends on price of sale, around my area of the world it seems like an 07,08 go for nearly a 13,14.  you said a lot about the top end but have questions about the transmission, was there any records about what or how he maintained that? at 180 hours there should be some talk about clutches countershaft seals ect....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, brownballin said:

it all depends on price of sale, around my area of the world it seems like an 07,08 go for nearly a 13,14.  you said a lot about the top end but have questions about the transmission, was there any records about what or how he maintained that? at 180 hours there should be some talk about clutches countershaft seals ect....

The only problem with your comparison is that the 08 was a better bike than the 13-14s with the same amount of adjustments. The clutch in the 08 was a pretty good unit. As was the transmission, but you roll the dice everytime. Seals are easy.

Id be more interested in who the guy was. What did he do with the bike. Was he a hard core expert vet racer? Was he shy about hitting and flat landing 130 footers? Or no? Was he a weekend warrior that went out and followed his 5 and 6 year olds around on their 50s? The chassis is a real concern when they're aluminum and this long in the tooth.

Id look at his truck or trailer. Any AMA district stickers? WORCS? Best in the West? Changing 35 bucks worth of transmission bearings and 40 bucks worth of bushings is window dressing if the wheel base is an inch longer than the OEM spec.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, brownballin said:

Maybe in the Winter or near Tax time.  Can't find many around here for under 2k unless baring known issues.  About pricing, I thought this graph was interesting for CRF 450 asking price data.

bikechart.png

2 hours ago, Shawn_Mc said:

he only problem with your comparison is that the 08 was a better bike than the 13-14s with the same amount of adjustments. The clutch in the 08 was a pretty good unit. As was the transmission, but you roll the dice everytime. Seals are easy.

Id be more interested in who the guy was. What did he do with the bike. Was he a hard core expert vet racer? Was he shy about hitting and flat landing 130 footers? Or no? Was he a weekend warrior that went out and followed his 5 and 6 year olds around on their 50s? The chassis is a real concern when they're aluminum and this long in the tooth.

Id look at his truck or trailer. Any AMA district stickers? WORCS? Best in the West? Changing 35 bucks worth of transmission bearings and 40 bucks worth of bushings is window dressing if the wheel base is an inch longer than the OEM spec.

well Ive owned 2 05's and and a very nice 08 and without a doubt love my 13 way more. the 13 went back to the similar design(clutch) as the 08 spring wise. the 09-12 were terrible fading ect clutches, but the 13 has been bullet proof

I agree with looking for indications of type of use 180 hours is not the same for every bike, for an example a guy who lets his bike warm up for 2 minutes prior to use is way easier on his bike then a guy who doesn't or lets it idle for 6 minutes prior to riding. questions like how many chain sliders have been replaced, how many air filters have been purchased, how many break pads replaced ect will at least start to show the picture of how the bike was rode. an 08 is a great bike and for the right price is a great purchase but if we all remember back I bet the first bike we bought for ourselves or our parent bought for us was probably around 10 years old as well. long story short there is no perfect way to guess how dependable a bike is going to be by any information that is provided by the owner who has found it best to sell it. it is a guess and guess alone, sometimes guesses work out and sometimes they don't, I tend to wanna guess on newer stuff depending on budget as to attempt to eliminate as much variables as possible...

• Like 1

Hey you guys are great!  Opened my eyes a bit wider and the diverse opinions are equally important.  

I'm 55 now and hadn't raced since 31 thinking I was getting too old for it.  I underwent some experimental life changes it the past 5 years and now feel like I'm back in my 20s... enough said of that, LOL.   Anywise, I revived interest in MX and a number of folks have directed my to the 08 CRF-450.   Mark, they said...  Racing that bike is like cheating, they said.

thanks all, and godspeed.

i have a 08, bought it new its got 135 hrs on it, has had

whole clutch , basket, plates hub and press plate

one piston

one timming chain

three sets of rims, (im fat)

lots of cables and levers

three bottom shock bearings

two complete  fork and shock rebuilds, the first after 50 hrs also got revalved by FC

more tires and chains and sprockets than i can count

plenty of plastic parts

not as many brakes as you would think maybe three each end

one set of front wheel bearings, no rears

a set of lightspeed footpegs

its had spectro 10-40 semi syn, and sx clutch saver every three hrs

i won two vet championships on it in 08

i raced it three times last year won two overalls and got a third at one

its great bike i keep waiting fo it to break so i can restore it and throw it in the line up to look at

i dont think it will ever break, my buddy sold his bike and ordered a 18crf450, and didnt have a bike to use so he rode it in 30a and 40 a at southwick last weekend

so the moral of my story is buy the thing its fixable and well worth it, i have a 17 kx 450, and its hardly better than my 08 , prolly aint any better

first pik is the day i got it, second is april 17

100_3035.jpg

IMG_0867.JPG

• Like 2

I got up Saturday morning to go look at it.  The detailed maintenance and records kept up on the bike and given the fact we both weigh in the same the suspension is dialed already. He was the 1st owner and had ridden it hard but took great care of it.  Morever, he is 65, ten years my senior which made me feel a little bit better.  I took all the advise I got from here and used every ounce of it to look the bike over.  We bonded well into the afternoon and talked about everything under the sun.  He offered for me to come out and ride his track on Tuesday during the normal gathering (as if I'd already decided to buy it)

It had been a while since I'd ridden (years) and a 2 stroke 125 at that.    To be honest the sheer weight and raw horsepower spooked me more than a little.   When it came time to decide, I told him I needed to go get a coffee and consider all things.  I was on the edge of backing out.  "my wife will kill me",  "that's a beast of a bike", "I'm gonna spend a ton on this re-found hobby",  "I'm bound to get hurt or killed then my wife will kill me again.."  All those thoughts.   But then I had to come to flip side.  "Nobody says I have to race this year. Nobody says I have to go do a double 1st time out.  Nobody says I don't have to do anything more than what I'm comfortable doing.  Marriage is over rated."

So I bought it.   I work out of state so it will take a little while for the wife to find out... we all got some kinda bad in our bones.

markscooter.JPG

Edited by Mark Frampton
  • Like 3

Nice. If that's it in the background, it's a special addition(black, with the fancy graphics) .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark Frampton said:

I got up Saturday morning to go look at it.  The detailed maintenance and records kept up on the bike and given the fact we both weigh in the same the suspension is dialed already. He was the 1st owner and had ridden it hard but took great care of it.  Morever, he is 65, ten years my senior which made me feel a little bit better.  I took all the advise I got from here and used every ounce of it to look the bike over.  We bonded well into the afternoon and talked about everything under the sun.  He offered for me to come out and ride his track on Tuesday during the normal gathering (as if I'd already decided to buy it)

It had been a while since I'd ridden (years) and a 2 stroke 125 at that.    To be honest the sheer weight and raw horsepower spooked me more than a little.   When it came time to decide, I told him I needed to go get a coffee and consider all things.  I was on the edge of backing out.  "my wife will kill me",  "that's a beast of a bike", "I'm gonna spend a ton on this re-found hobby",  "I'm bound to get hurt or killed then my wife will kill me again.."  All those thoughts.   But then I had to come to flip side.  "Nobody says I have to race this year. Nobody says I have to go do a double 1st time out.  Nobody says I don't have to do anything more than what I'm comfortable doing.  Marriage is over rated."

So I bought it.   I work out of state so it will take a little while for the wife to find out... we all got some kinda bad in our bones.

markscooter.JPG

nice , i got to similar thought/problem when i bought my first bike 2 months ago :D :)) , but its worth it . 450s are beasts especially when you do jump they can go crazy :/  and you can easily find your self in a tricky condition or getting serious injuries . just master the clutch control and you will enjoy this beast. 

i am going to buy a second bike and am thinking to buy a 2008 Honda or a 2stroke 250 :D ..... having a wife is good but bikes are better(and of course more deadly :D :))  )

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drumiv said:

Nice. If that's it in the background, it's a special addition(black, with the fancy graphics) .

It's all aftermarket.  I'm sure since he bought it new it's had more than one change of plastics.