Questions about potential purchase of a '13 350exc-f

Hi guys, first time using the forum and gotta say I'm impressed. So much great information so thanks goes to all who have contributed. 

I guess ill start off and say this will be my first dirt bike Ive ever owned or driven. Ive wanted a dirt bike ever since I was a teen but just never ended buying one or bought quads instead.  Well I'm 35 now and I don't want to wait anymore. Ive found a really nice used 2013 KTM 350exc-f.  An older gentleman has owned it since new and used it for pure dual sport to get out and see the sights etc.   The bike comes fully loaded, including a seat concepts seat, scotts steering dampener, recluse clutch, recluse LHB, acerbus 3.1gal tank, tuner, skid plate and rad protection plus wrap around hand guards.  Bike looks great and sounds really nice. My only issue with it is this, it's got over 9,000 kms and 188 hours.  Now the gentleman says it's never been abused and valves are good, leak down test of 10% and I tend to believe him but at the same time a dirt bike with this much mileage/hours makes me a bit nervous.     Should I be worried about this?  Im also worried if I choose to buy a new one a couple of years down the road that the resale value will be shot since it'll more than likely have over 15000 kms on the odo by the time I sell.  Now this bike does have a lot of farkles, but should I simply wait for a lower mileage bike to come up for sale or not worry and go ahead and purchase this one.  The gentleman is willing to let it go time for $6500 CDN.   Is this a good deal?  Sorry for all the noob questions and the story book length post but its a fair chunk of money to spend and don't want to have issues down the road.  Thanks for any help you can provide  

• Like 1

I was in  your same shoes 3 years ago.  No bike experience, always wanted to try one, etc.  I couldnt find any used bikes local, so I bought a new 2015 350 exc.  Since then I have been addicted.  The 350 has been a great bike.  I still have it and ride it a lot.  Just added a 2018 300 xc-w as a dedicated off road / race bike to feed the addiction!  Welcome to the club, and enjoy learning!  The first season was very intimidating learning to ride, but as you grow more comfortable with the bike and controls, it gets more and more fun!

• Like 1

My advice would be to try to kick start it (those bikes still have kickers, right?). I wouldn't sweat the high hours/mileage on its own, but if it is hard to start or there are other symptoms that it has been abused or is on its way out (smoke, dry chain, rounded off bolts, etc.), then I would probably walk.

I recently bought a 2005 EXC with an unknown amount of hours, probably more than 150, and at least 7,250 miles on it according to the service records that came with it. It starts first kick literally every single time hot or cold, and it runs perfectly. These bikes can last a very long time if they are not abused.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice so far guys, can't wait to get out riding and i think the 350 will fit the bill nicely as i'm more interested in trail riding than street riding.  I'm an avid mountain biker so hopefully some of those skills translate as well.  Either way i'm expecting a bit of a learning curve, although the bike does have a Recluse clutch (which i will probably sell, to help develop proper clutching techniques).  

Hershmagersh,  the bike took a few long seconds of holding the electric starter to turn over but she did start running with very minimal smoke which stopped shortly after. Apparently she had been sitting for a month or so.   I plan to stop by there again tomorrow to look it over a second time and i will try kick starting it.  The chain looked well lubed and new and air filter was fine.  The gentleman is 62 years old and his mechanic (who is selling it for him, as he's travelling in the U.S. currently) reassures me this bike hasn't seen full throttle but a handful of times.   All maintenance was taken care of (oil changes every 1000 kms), and mods were professionally installed by the mechanic.  Theres quite a few extra things done to the bike so quite literally there really isn't anything for me to do. lol  Which sort of is too bad since i do take pleasure in wrenching on my toys.  

• Like 1

Sounds good to me, maybe someone who knows more about this model in particular will chime in, but I would probably feel pretty comfortable given all the things you've told us. If the price is right, I would go for it. It will be a blast without a doubt!