What Air filter oil is everybody using these days...???

Just curious what is commonly used to oil your foam type air fliters? Back in the day we just used regular engine oil and never seemed to have any problems..

I was rebuilding a KFX 400 and bought a Uni clamp on two stage filter. Before I put it on the bike I saw that I had an old can of PJ-1 Foam filter spray on oil,... that stuff was SUPER TACKY and felt like grease... but I went with it and the bike kept loading up and I was having trouble figuring out what was up since it had ran great a few days prior when I had just put the new carb on,... I got to thinking about it and I just pulled the air filter off - whalah! that was it - that stuff was sooooo thick the engine couldn't hardly pull in any air.... I switched to a "Green Filter" and it's running like a champ.

Anyway, on my 08 450r I had a new Uni so I just oiled it up with engine oil for the time being...

Thanks

Rick

Ipone filter oil , mostly because i get it at a good price, but it seems to work just fine. Don't forget to squeeze out the excess after you put it on....

Engine oil is too thin, and will run to the bottom of the filter after a while.

Edited by DEATH_INC.

I've always used Bel-Ray (liquid, not spray)

the blue dye makes it easy to see if it's spread evenly.

6 minutes ago, mlatour said:

I've always used Bel-Ray (liquid, not spray)

the blue dye makes it easy to see if it's spread evenly.

Yep :thumbsup: just did this one . First pic soon as took out shows how clean is under screen . Good stuff all I've ever used every bike

20170803_112341.jpg

20170804_151148.jpg

20170804_153019.jpg

20170804_153509.jpg

Filter oil is a scam. You don't need it. 

On an un-related note, I think I'll start a motor repair business.

As I get older and lazier the sprays seem to work good, I get whatever brand is on sale. Prefer the one that spray like paint over the foam ones but it's not a deal killer.

1 hour ago, THE KRAN said:

Filter oil is a scam. You don't need it. 

On an un-related note, I think I'll start a motor repair business.

It is a scam.  It's the same principle as engine oil changes; frequent oil changes are much more important than the type of oil you use.

Dump two scoops of OxyClean powder or 2 cups of CleanGreen liquid in a small bucket. Stand the filter up in the bucket.  Next, pour one and a half 2 liter bottles of generic CLUB SODA in the bucket. Swirl the filter around in the solution for about 5 minutes & then let it sit and soak for 10-15 minutes.  Skim off the nasty oily grime & dirt that is riding on the surface to avoid lifting the filter back up thru it when done.   Finally, shake it out well or spin the water off it & let it dry thoroughly.  Better results if you gently blow it out from the inside with low pressure compressed air. Or use a water hose with a mist type spray pattern so you don’t blow more crud back into the filter material. Let it dry.

After cleaning, re-oil it with a mixture of mineral oil and alcohol in a small spray bottle. The alcohol evaporates and leaves just the right amount of oil on the filter.

(K&N may not like this method but it's worked for me for forty years; your choice, your money).

Edited by Jimmy Pascol

Filter oils and their cleaners have become somewhat proprietary in composition to get you to buy the same brand of each. Some of the old cleaning brews don't work well all the time for me. Usually say f it and get the gas can out. 

There are probably a hundred pages or more on this topic in General Dirt Bike if you really want to sift through some answers. ;)