2004 WR450F - newbie

Hi,
So I am about to enter the world of dual sports and I'm looking at a 2004 WR450F, street legal bike here in Washington state.

The big question is, what's this bike worth? Assuming it's in decent shape for its age and has been maintained? It's got some aftermarket parts on it, but I'd like to get a baseline for the value of this thing before I go make a cash offer. I'm looking at about $3,000 right now. Maybe a little higher.

Notable mods include larger gas tank, bark busters, aftermarket silencer, taller seat, and it has the vapor dash. Will also come with spare set of tires and original gas tank.

I hear these bikes are ultra reliable if maintained. I plan on doing some light commuting and funning around the city. I already have a street bike and a motorcross bike, and I've always loved the idea of a dirt bike on the street. I'm 27 and started riding on a cr125, moved to a cr250 while riding trails. Love the power but I've been interested in the 4 stroke world for a few years now.

I appreciate all the wisdom and advice in advance. Thanks!
Jrayy

It's all about condition and usage (miles/ hrs).  If it's in nice shape overall and ready to rock the roads, that's a fair price range...provided the street equipment was installed  correctly.  It cost me almost a $ grand$ to make my '06 WR street legal.  And I did ALL the work myself.

When was it made street legal?  Longer can show no 'bugs' in workmanship.

What are the miles on the odometer?  

Does it still 'look new' or are the case sides and frame paint worn off?  Lot's of wear can indicate lots of use.

Grips worn out/ replaced?  See above.

Has any major mechanical repairs been done?  Major work can indicate hard usage...or extensive usage.

Well I turned it down. It looked to be in great condition, ready to rock, but my mechanic father said the engine noise was concerning - like it had rod knock. The cases sides had paint worn, but the rest looked OK. It wouldn't idle if cold or warm, so that was basically the nail in the coffin. Owner just spent good money at a local shop too, and it came back running worse apparently. Could have been a lemon?

I'm going to compare several more bikes in the next weeks - do these all have pretty noisy motors?

Thanks again!

The motors are extremely  noisy.  Go listen to as many as you can, and you will see. 

Almost impossible to hear crank 'knocking', and have it still running. Easy to hear a Big End knocking, no doubt.

Clutch case wear and tops of the peg wear give away the hours on the motor, assuming no rebuilds:

LOW HOURS

39323310.jpg.051b10849bdb9d7f9f5b4024d5b74eb5.jpg

UNDER 100 HOURS

55bf9eb0cd3a22951ba424c6.jpg.5acfd74ddd508d9093abfda40f32296f.jpg

UNDER 300 HOURS

450.jpg.e3e04d6e8bef5166f53040739ff592d9.jpg

BILLIONS OF HOURS (notice the wear divit in the case...)

YAMAHA-YZ450F-5610_1.jpg.fd505e7c9373756148be294846d69a6b.jpg

Granted, lots of assumptions are being made by me with this information, but it's a good thing to look for for a quick idea of motor hours.

Ignore odometer readings, hour meters, etc. They are all lies.

Edited by THE KRAN

I agree with THE KRAN...motors on these are naturally noisy.  A good mechanic can clean the idle port on the carb and it should have ran fine.  Mine would surge at idle, once warmed up.  Cleaned carb and all is good.  If you can locate a good mechanic...that knows carbed WRs, this about $160 repair.  

You will notice on the next bike, they are just noisy.  Maybe you'll go back and talk his price down by another $250 to cover carb work.  Good luck in your search!

Thanks I appreciate your advice! This bike did look a bit worn on the clutch case. I'm still looking at several to compare.

How's the performance of a wr450 vs a Drz 400? The Drz seems to fit the bill better as far as maintenence intervals and short but frequent stints on the freeway

8 hours ago, jrayy said:

How's the performance of a wr450 vs a Drz 400? The Drz seems to fit the bill better as far as maintenence intervals and short but frequent stints on the freeway

55lbs heavier

20 less hp

Soft squishy suspension

Hard to upgrade the power quantity or quality

Still a 5 speed, so no difference on the Fwy

Basically the same maintenence schedule

The DR-Z is a great beginner's dual sport bike but it's no enduro machine. The extra weight, lower spec components and soft power make challenging riding way harder. It's a great bike if you want to ride gentle trails, the motor is smoother and more suitable for extended road miles. Even uncorked (larger carb, full exhaust system etc) the power is pretty tame (39bhp vs. 50ish)

Depends what you want to do and where you want to go?

I love my WR and I certainly wouldn't want to drag a DR-Z up hills and out of muddy streams

19 hours ago, jrayy said:

The maintenance schedule 'in the book' for the wr450 is based off an experienced rider using the bike for competition level riding.  Maintenance intervals can easily be stretched out much further with little fear  of damage...Unless you are always riding that hard.

Thanks, I have no problem doing oil changes. I am more concerned about more serious part wear and replacement. I want to buy used but do not want to do a rebuild for at least a few years. I've decided to stick with the wr for what I want. Im about a 30 minute ride plus ferry from some excellent dirt riding (single and double track), and I'm fine with regular basic maintenence to keep the fun factor.

Any other places I can look to find good used bikes? I'm scouring craigslist daily in all of Washington. But I'm hesitant to drive 3 or 4 hours to find a bike that might be worn out. Seattle area plus an hour or 2 drive.

Thanks

Unfortunately driving long distances to find a worn out bike is all part of the chase to find a good bike. You need to ask for as many close up photos as possible to get as good of an idea as you can. Unfortunately you may still drive a distance to find a worn out machine

Unfortunately driving long distances to find a worn out bike is all part of the chase to find a good bike. You need to ask for as many close up photos as possible to get as good of an idea as you can. Unfortunately you may still drive a distance to find a worn out machine
Yeah I've done it a few times now. I get it's part of the search. Tough to fine one of these that hasn't been abused!