Gearing for 18' 500 exc without changing the chain

Hey guys. The gearing on the 2018 500 exc seems pretty good but I think it could use a few teeth added to the rear. My question is will the stock chain work if I go from a 14/45 to a 14/48?

I ran 14/48 on my 14. When I went to 50 I needed a new chain

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using ThumperTalk mobile app

I have a 17 Husky FE501 that started 14/45 with a 114 link chain.  I went to 13/49.  If I could have made the chain work, my wheel would be up against the inner mud guard. I had to put a 116 link chain on.  Assuming the sister KTM bike also came with a 114 link chain, while staying with a 14 front, I think it may be too short - but there's only one way to find out.

Edited by markbfe501

I am running a 14/48 on my '17. The rear wheel is about 1/2" from the mud guard and that is with brand new tires. I highly doubt anything above 48 teeth would fit without changing the chain. 

The easy solution is to drop the 14 countershaft to a 13. 13/45 is just between 14/48 and 14/49. And you keep the wheel farther back. 

I am running 13 / 48 with a real knobby. Great gearing for real dirt riding and I think it takes a new chain. 

18 hours ago, stevethe said:

I am running 13 / 48 with a real knobby. Great gearing for real dirt riding and I think it takes a new chain. 

I have the same gearing and the stock chain will work although the wheel is moved a little more forward than I would like. But I'm a cheapskate and too lazy to add a link or two. 

8 minutes ago, Ktm510 said:

I have the same gearing and the stock chain will work although the wheel is moved a little more forward than I would like. But I'm a cheapskate and too lazy to add a link or two. 

Yeah it sits more to the rear with links or in my case as I put a new chain on.