Taylor Park in October

Thinking of heading to Taylor Park late Sept. or early Oct. 

Wondering if it's too late in the season? 

Any snowfall that time of year? would it be to cold?

Hit and miss.  3rd to 4th week of Sept is typically peak aspen color change.  Can also be when the snow flies.  We rode Taylor Park last Sept 24th.  Had a couple inches of snow overnight.  Was about 23 degrees when we started our ride and quite wet.  Trail was slick, trees and roots were even slicker.  Conditions improved by afternoon but we were cold even with a lot of equipment and long underwear.    Daughter was camping in Crested Butte at the same time with boyfriend, they had 5-6 inches overnight that nearly collapsed the tent and were unable to do any mountain biking that day.  Next day was better and much of the snow had melted but still ran into some north facing slopes with snow/melted snow that made for very slick muddy conditions.

If you are camping, expect to wake up to below freezing temps in the valleys (e.g. Taylor Park), ice on the bikes, etc.  October is definitely pushing it but can be pretty nice or it can be cold/snowy depending on weather conditions and elevation. Expect to see a 25-35 degree swing each day between the high/low temps if the sun is shining.  Expect snow if there is a cold front moving through at that time of year.

Sept 24th last year we were in white out conditions on the top of Canyon Creek. But a week later it was perfect for a mountain bike enduro race.

You are rolling the dice that time of the year but it can be awesome.

CanyonCreekSept24th.jpg

Like the guys above me said it'll be hit or miss. Really the best riding time (especially on the higher elevations) is late July through early September. Still though you never now, it might work out good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using ThumperTalk mobile app

16 hours ago, zzsean said:

Sept 24th last year we were in white out conditions on the top of Canyon Creek. But a week later it was perfect for a mountain bike enduro race.

You are rolling the dice that time of the year but it can be awesome.

CanyonCreekSept24th.jpg

thats funny.  The very next day Sept 25th we were riding up 483 to reach Canyon Creek (481) to take it downhill.  The north face slopes with snow still in the trees were slicker than snot and we never made it to the top so we could descend 481. 

thanks for the info fellas.

Was hoping you would say weather is perfect that time of year. Might have to play it by ear otherwise wait till next year :thumbsdn:

Taylor is about as high as you can get in the Colorado Rockies.  It's a short riding season there so Mid July to the end of August is really the season.  Also, that's the peak of the elk rut so there are bunches of hunters and hunter camps out there.  

IMO, you're better off planning your ride at a lower elevation that time of year.  That is a great time to ride in the Moab area.  Let me know if you need any info on that.  HR 

19 hours ago, hrpufinstuff said:

Taylor is about as high as you can get in the Colorado Rockies.  It's a short riding season there so Mid July to the end of August is really the season.  Also, that's the peak of the elk rut so there are bunches of hunters and hunter camps out there.  

IMO, you're better off planning your ride at a lower elevation that time of year.  That is a great time to ride in the Moab area.  Let me know if you need any info on that.  HR 

Moab sounds good- can you tell me what is the best riding on the Eastern side of Moab? Or any good Singletrack at lower elevation that is ridable in CO during Fall/Winter months. Just hate having to wait 1year to go back to Taylor Park.

3 hours ago, Thumponovich said:

Moab sounds good- can you tell me what is the best riding on the Eastern side of Moab? Or any good Singletrack at lower elevation that is ridable in CO during Fall/Winter months. Just hate having to wait 1year to go back to Taylor Park.

The mountains could still be perfect and as a local I decide where to ride that time of the year purely based on weather and conditions. If it is still good up in the mountains I ride there as long as I can. Once the snow starts flying and the desert cools down I switch but I decide each weekend based on current conditions. That is harder to do when you are planning a trip from a far.

Moab Area

·         Moab has lots of riding. Much of it can be on jeep trails but the riding is still great even on jeep trails. The single track is mainly around the 10 mile wash area and the sovereign trail system

·         Enduro Loop up in Ten Mile Wash area is a 33 mile loop that is slick rock, sand washes, singletrack, some atv double track and some slick rock. It forms the easiest full loop of the area and the riding is easy to intermediate. It is great fun and my wife and I do it a few times a year. We ride it Clockwise and we always add other trails like Dead Cow or the like to make it around a 60 mile day/

·         In the slick rock areas in the middle of the loop are some amazing riding that you can connect together to make some fun days. Dead cow is the most popular as it is riding in slot canyons and intermediate in difficulty and just a lot of run. Red Butte is spectacular riding on slick rock domes and is pretty easy but can get exposed at time. Mary's loop is great as well.

·         The Sovereign trail system is closer to Moab and you can either make a great loop by crossing over the highway and joining the Seven Mile Rim jeep trail or you can connect together the various sections of Sovereign trails. Both are great options for a ride.

·         Over near Green River is an Area call Chimney Rock. It is a massive trail system of single track and atv trails.  

Edited by zzsean
3 hours ago, Thumponovich said:

As stated by zzsean, you could get lucky and have mountain riding available.  If you're even a little flexible, you can find spectacular riding somewhere within a few hours drive.  Moab, UT is about 2-3 hour drive from western Colorado mountains.  I imagine you will drive out.  So you can leave your plans loose and stop where the riding is good.  If it's warm, you can ride  mountain areas, if not, continue to Utah.  There are weeks of great riding in both locations.  You may even consider northern New Mexico, which is only an hour from Durango, CO and about 3 hours from Moab.  You can plan your trip during late September and find great riding somewhere.  

In Colorado, the great mountain singletrack can be rideable as late as November, but that's rare.  Many times, we get freak snowstorms in early September that shut it down.  You won't know until about 3 days in advance.  

Feel free to PM me for more info.  You have options.  

I'd also focus on Moab/Green River areas over the high country that time of year. Monarch Pass got snow last weekend 8/5. A dusting, but snow all the same. Not that you COULDN'T get lucky and have clear conditions in the high country, it's just really unpredictable. 

I agree with the others that TP is a real crap shoot in October. If I were to bet -- I'd guess that is more likely to snow there then not.

The marina is 9300 ft and the trails go up from there.

I own two properties near TP  - one is at 10k ft. You can bet there'll be snow there by Oct. 1. The other is at 8400 ft in the Arkansas Valley -- which is a real banana belt. It's generally snow free until late November and there is riding there.

When I do winter trips, I generally go to southern UT or SW Colorado (Rabbit Valley). It doesn't snow there much in the Fall -- but heading back to the front range (crossing the Divide) can be very dicey. I've left Rabbit Valley at 2 pm (55 degrees) and hit zero visibility and driving snow on Vail Pass at 5 pm - headed back toward Denver.

Driving the Rockies is a lot like flying a small plane -- You'd better keep your eye on the weather.

We go every year on the third week of September. Last year snowed on last day but just an early morning dusting. We also go in late June. For me September is a far better time. Creeks are down and most of the fallen trees have been cleared. Mornings are cool so we layer up and bring rain gear. Of course it is the Rockies and snow that time of year is a possibility.

Sent from my SM-G950U using ThumperTalk mobile app