How to tell when my crf230 was plated?

Hi All

I've got a 2003 crf 230f with Ca plate and am wondering how I tell what year is was first plated. I've got a friend looking for a plated 230 as well. I don't see anything on the title. Anyone have a bike they registered in socal in late '03 or Jan '04 and can tell me the first few digits of their plate maybe? Mine starts with 16J6xxx

Thanks

Rob

thumbnail_20170725_101607.jpg

You would have to contact the DMV and have them look into your registration packet, which has a history of all activty associated with that VIN.

The only information that you would personally have is the duration of the most current registration period.

Plate numbers are generated randomly.

Edited by THE KRAN

You would have to contact the DMV and have them look into your registration packet, which has a history of all activty associated with that VIN.
The only information that you would personally have is the duration of the most current registration period.
Plate numbers are generated randomly.

Can't remember if the title (pink slip) had a date on it that might reference when it was changed to MC?

3 hours ago, KennyMc said:

Can't remember if the title (pink slip) had a date on it that might reference when it was changed to MC?

I looked at my pinks, and there is no such info that I can see

Thanks guys. If someone recalls plating any bike in socal in '03 I'd like to know the first few digits. Might give me a rough idea at least. Otherwise I'll have to make the dreaded DMV visit.

I looked at my pinks, and there is no such info that I can see

Might be the "issue date". I had a loan on mine for 6 months. When I paid it off they issue a new pink, clear of any incumbency. I wonder if the "issue date" changes whenever their is a change to the title.

The "odometer date" didn't change, that's still the date it was first sold.

Not exactly sure what you're asking, Rob. You have a buddy that is looking for a plated 230.....and he's hoping to find one that was plated before the 2/1/04 drop dead date?

My understanding is one could have purchased a dirt bike in CA prior to early Jan 2004 and with the full authority of DMV, register it with a street license plate. How can one tell when their bike was first registered in CA is the question. Any dirt bike registered and street plated after early 2004 is potentially subject to DMV revocation of the street plate. I don't want to start a thread about DMV and CARB etc. Just want to know, without going to DMV, is there a way to tell if a factory dirt bike that has a CA plate was registered with that plate by that deadline.

I searched through craigslist yesterday for someone selling a 2003 bike. I randomly contacted a guy who was kind enough to tell me the first three digits of their plate, 16L. The first three of mine are 16J. His is a 2003, mine is a 2003, both registered in socal. Therefore I might conclude that there is a pretty good chance that my bike was street registered with plate in 2003. 

Now, to further confuse the issue ( I know I can go to DMV but its the weekend and I was a little bored...) in the upper right corner of registration under the license number there is a box that says 3 things: Make, yr, and yr model. Under year mine says 2010 and under yr model it says 2003. I wonder if that was the prior owner payoff date as suggested above? I don't care what it means as long as it doesn't mean that is when DMV shows it being first registered.

Thanks for your guys help so far.

And another random pic just because its too bloody hot to ride.

20170625_090851.jpg

Edited by robsandiego

I plated my '04 KTM in December of '03.  Its plate is 16W7***.

There is an "issue date" on the pink slip.  What date does that say?

Thanks Gflo, that is confirmation that roughly plates up to 16W were plated pre-ban. Roughly. Of course it would depend on which DMV location had what numbered plates at around that time. 

KennyMc.

Issue date says 02/23/17, which is when I transferred title to my name.

Odometer Date: 03/04/2010 which is when I would guess the previous (2nd) owner registered it in his name after buying it from his neighbor. I purchased it without an odometer so no reading were taken when I took title.

Edited by robsandiego

54 minutes ago, robsandiego said:

Thanks Gflo, that is confirmation that roughly plates up to 16W were plated pre-ban. Roughly. Of course it would depend on which DMV location had what numbered plates at around that time. 

KennyMc.

Issue date says 02/23/17, which is when I transferred title to my name.

Odometer Date: 03/04/2010 which is when I would guess the previous (2nd) owner registered it in his name after buying it from his neighbor. I purchased it without an odometer so no reading were taken when I took title.

Further, I plated mine in late December just before the cut-off date.  It was processed at the DMV in Escondido.

Yea, sounds like there won't be a way of telling based on the paperwork.

I had a '07WR450 CA plated in '09. Sold it in 2015 and it transferred without any issues ;)