Good Way to Wash Riding Gear in HE Washer ?

I can't seem to get my gear clean in our HE washer. I'll wash gear several times and it still looks dirty. This isn't ground in mud. it's just dusty. I'm outta tricks, I've tried everything I can think of. Any one got any pointers ,short of hand washing ?

That's odd. We have a front loading he Samsung washer and use arm and hammer detergent. Our gear gets totally clean even when its a grimy, grungy mess. An occasional spray of Shout helps, too.

If its the clay based dirt like capital forest has that stuff is hard to get out. I think it also depends on the fabric.  Some of mine will wash out ok others seem to stain more. 

Edited by GreenMT_Rider
  • Like 1

If I am muddy, I have my wife hose me down outside and scrub me with a brush. If it is dried in, the brush (dry, no hose) removes a lot. We have red clay and if I am riding in an area that is not old growth trees, the clay is on top and it stains. The solution is to wear gear that is the color of you average stain. No whites! You can try and pre-treat (Like with Shout!).

Pro races put on brand new gear between motos. When I raced cars, I'd bring a dozen drivers suits. I still have teh moto gear from when I was just starting out. Stained, holes. But chock full of memories.

• Like 1

I also ride Capitol Forest and it has red clay, which is red because of iron oxide, and it stains everything from bike plastic to clothing.  Difficult to remove the color without bleach.

More detergent and extra rinse. That's what I do with our gear.

• Like 1

My stuff comes out sparkling in our basic washer on the gentle cycle. We use the cheapest stuff at WalMart and I add a little Simple Green in the little thing where you add bleach. And I also use the big load water setting since I think any soap not rinsed well leads to monkey butt. I have never liked monkey butt.

4 hours ago, William1 said:

If I am muddy, I have my wife hose me down outside and scrub me with a brush.

still have teh moto gear from when I was just starting out. Stained, holes. But chock full of memories.

:wub:

14 hours ago, dirtbikesonny said:

I can't seem to get my gear clean in our HE washer. I'll wash gear several times and it still looks dirty. This isn't ground in mud. it's just dusty. I'm outta tricks, I've tried everything I can think of. Any one got any pointers ,short of hand washing ?

Sportwash is the only detergent I use on my expensive outdoor gear. Shop around and don't be scared of the price. A little goes a long way because it doesn't have fillers, perfumes, color enhancers, etc, etc.

http://www.atsko.com/sport-wash-laundry-detergent-2-quart-64-wash-loads/

Woolite is supposed to be good also, but I've never used it.

Edited by Bermudacat
http://www.atsko.com/sport-wash-laundry-detergent-2-quart-64-wash-loads/

as long as it don't stink it's clean , I'm more concerned about the sediment it leaves in the septic tank even hosing it off 1st it's gotta add up?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chuck. said:

I also ride Capitol Forest and it has red clay, which is red because of iron oxide, and it stains everything from bike plastic to clothing.  Difficult to remove the color without bleach.

Oxalic acid from the marine supply store will remove iron stains.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, highmarker said:

as long as it don't stink it's clean , I'm more concerned about the sediment it leaves in the septic tank even hosing it off 1st it's gotta add up?

Yes, it will. Even excreted minerals from normal use need to be pumped out of the tank trap so that it doesn't overflow and plug the septic field.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bermudacat said:

Yes, it will. Even excreted minerals from normal use need to be pumped out of the tank trap so that it doesn't overflow and plug the septic field.

I've considered a garage washing machined piped out "over the hill".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, highmarker said:

I've considered a garage washing machined piped out "over the hill".

I'd love to recycle ALL my gray water, because it would be so beneficial, but my plumbing would make it difficult.

• Like 1

My top loading washer has a "Bulky Items" setting. The normal settings doesn't add enough water to clean and rinse dirty riding gear.

Sent from my SM-G900T using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 2

Never really had an issue. And we have plenty of red dirt here.

My gear has white. Obviously its not as bright as the day I bought it but it still looks good. 

• Like 1

I ended up spraying my gear down with the "Purple" simple green and hand scrubbing it in the drive and then threw in in the washer for a rinse and spin cycle. This was after a "deep water soak" setting and a "heavy duty" wash cycle. Think I want my old school LE (low efficiency) washer back!

• Like 1

On 8/5/2017 at 11:42 AM, YHGEORGE said:

I have never liked monkey butt.

Aww, you're just saying that. :lol: