Keihin PD Super Pumper Carb/ TURBO

Finally got around to installing this Chinese PD on the 17' 230F last weekend. 
Since blocking off the vacuum port, it works awesome. Throttle response is super quick. Only thing I noticed while installing is I wasn't able to get both throttle cables on the carb. The bottom cable was the only one that I was able to get to the carb correctly. The top cable (decel cable?) wasn't long enough to fit even with the thread backed all the way off.
Has anyone needed to purchase a different cable for the PD replacement? Having just one throttle cable connected works, just curious if it's something someone else has ran into. 

IMO:

No need to use the return cable. Extra weight at the least.
Since blocking off the vacuum port, it works awesome. Throttle response is super quick. Only thing I noticed while installing is I wasn't able to get both throttle cables on the carb. The bottom cable was the only one that I was able to get to the carb correctly. The top cable (decel cable?) wasn't long enough to fit even with the thread backed all the way off.
Has anyone needed to purchase a different cable for the PD replacement? Having just one throttle cable connected works, just curious if it's something someone else has ran into. 

IMO:

3 minutes ago, adnohguy said:

IMO:

Fair enough. I'll quit worrying about it. lol Thanks!

Now to find something else to obsess about getting for the 230. 

Edited by Codgedodger

1 hour ago, Codgedodger said:

If you use the Carb Cable Bracket off of the OEM carb, the cables will go right on correctly... the bracket on the Chinese one is not laid out correctly.. ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WERNER1 said:

If you use the Carb Cable Bracket off of the OEM carb, the cables will go right on correctly... the bracket on the Chinese one is not laid out correctly.. ;)

I compared them next to each other and swore they looked the same. My eye sight isn't as good as I think... 

The measurements I took for the AP diaphragm assembly are:

Rod diameter:  2.5 mm  (The ID of the float bowl clearance holes for the rod are 3.0 mm)

Diaphragm diameter:  29 mm (The ID of the float bowl AP diaphragm pocket is 29.5 mm)

Rod Length:  88 mm

image.png.6385a5b2b347eb586d387d0354995e02.pngimage.png.b277b395ccb1b59987f615b9faef3e12.png  

8 hours ago, MI Dirt Biker said:

I'm in the process of cleaning up a PD03A and noticed the AP diaphragm is cracked in a few spots, but not all the way through.  I did a quick search to see what I could find and not to my surprise you can no longer get that assembly.  Has anyone found a replacement or another close to it, so I could modify the rod length or carefully remove the diaphragm and attach it to the original rod?   

image.png.76d6a5636faa290481e11b5b03033c42.png

There are quite a few places to get these from eBay...

You can even get one that's too long and just cut the shaft to proper length... I saw in your latest post that you got all your measurements on the stocker..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Codgedodger said:

To get both throttle cables to fit I had to grind some off the bracket on my Chinese version 

43 minutes ago, mixxer said:

There are quite a few places to get these from eBay...

You can even get one that's too long and just cut the shaft to proper length... I saw in your latest post that you got all your measurements on the stocker..

Looks like this one will work with removing about a mm.  Any thoughts on leaving it a bit longer ( maybe 0.5 mm) to engage sooner along with a stiffer spring?  I'll check it for travel and binding conditions as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Accelerator-Pump-Rebuild-Kit-Honda-XL250R-500R-CB450SC-650SC-CM450E-CB650-750/182703628711?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

8 minutes ago, MI Dirt Biker said:

Looks like this one will work with removing about a mm.  Any thoughts on leaving it a bit longer ( maybe 0.5 mm) to engage sooner along with a stiffer spring?  I'll check it for travel and binding conditions as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Accelerator-Pump-Rebuild-Kit-Honda-XL250R-500R-CB450SC-650SC-CM450E-CB650-750/182703628711?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

It would be worth checking out the assembly to see if you could use it to advantage to get an extra 1mm of stroke/ pump shot out of it...

1 hour ago, vulcanduro said:

Apologize for going off topic, but are the external dimensions of these carbs identical to the oem carb on 2001 xr250?Would it be a direct bolt in?

Thanks for any help 

Yes and Yes...

Direct bolt on deal...

• Like 1

I received the AP diaphragm Sat. and to make it equivalent to the stocker, you need to remove 1 mm, everything else is equivalent.  I left if 0.25mm long and will try it for now, any longer and it would have been depressed by the linkage while the throttle is closed.  Added the pic below, you can see a little daylight between the linkage and top of the APdiaphragm rod.

image.png.70cc7b6253a517abe0ae83ef9363f5ab.png

Edited by MI Dirt Biker
Added Pic
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/29/2019 at 7:19 AM, VortecCPI said:

If I recall there is an issue with the XR250 needle.  I read this here in TT so when I tried the XR250 carb I believe I used the CRF230 needle.

I am not 100% sure so you may want to do some research here in TT...

Needles are all over the place for size and taper, I don't have any info on 230F needles but I assume they would be similar to other 4T needles used in PD carbs; from my notes on XR needles:

Mark……….… Mic…… D1 Dia (mm)
F2351E new 0.0986.… 2.515
F2351E…..… 0.0985.… 2.512
J9KC ………… 0.0982.… 2.504
JJL………………………….… 2.465
JJK………………….……..… 2.455
JJJ……………………….…… 2.445
N68A…….… 0.0956..… 2.436
JJH…………………………… 2.435
N85A..................................2.415
NFSF…..….… 0.0946….. 2.413
NAPE…....… 0.0940..… 2.398

Multi taper needles:
J9KC Late XR250R          96+ XR250R #16012-KCE-670
N68A Needle                 JetsRUs w/ D1 like JJH
N80F                              Mid Atlantic Trials
N85A early XR250R..........na
NOTE: The F2351E needle is the 49 state XR200R needle. The 4-6 digit marked needles are Honda OEM. The 3 digit needles are Keihin and available from JetRUs.  Dual and  triple taper are leaner at 1/2 throttle than straight taper needles so may require 1 or 2 sizes larger main jets.  I have not mapped the taper on the J9KC or N68A needles, however I'm running one size larger main with the J9KC and it is also one size smaller D1 than the stock XR200 needle.

Edited by Chuck.
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

• 4 months later...