Keihin PD Super Pumper Carb/ TURBO

Two questions unanswered.

1. What is it. (in regards to Ebay carby picture Greenhuman and Mixer have identified)

2. What bike did Honda use a 32mm PD pumper on? (Adnohguy?)

Is there some misunderstanding of the questions? What am I missing here?

Why the secrecy? If those things are secrets, why even mention them here?:excuseme:

There is a factory pumper on eBay for $50 free shipping looks clean with all cables even choke cable. Was real hard not to buy this and put it on the shelf! dwoodcock2009 is the user name. Better hurry I'm getting itchy fingers!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I don't know what models have bigger pumpers..

I only recently learned of the PD pumpers by accident in the xr250/400 forum...

But mine was s copy of the earlier xl250 carbs

I have seen on eBay, the dual cable models that green human posted , but have no idea what machines ran those... They look clean and simple enough though..

Edited by mixxer

10 hours ago, Oldie230 said:

Two questions unanswered.

1. What is it. (in regards to Ebay carby picture Greenhuman and Mixer have identified)

Why the secrecy? If those things are secrets, why even mention them here?:excuseme:

The image I posted is off Aliexpress I think. Look under accelerator pump carburetor. Around $32 Usd delivered

• Like 2

Two questions unanswered. 1. What is it. (in regards to Ebay carby picture Greenhuman and Mixer have identified)

No dis-respect intended, Oldie230, I ordered a 32mm pumper carb on E Bay, it's suppose to be shipped to me on Saturday. I'm only guessing that it will work so I'm not going to get everyone all excited and they start ordering them and then they don't work. SO BE PATIENT... I'm spending the $ and will be the ginny pig and try it out to make sure it works then let EVERYONE know all the things needed to install one. IF IT WONT WORK,I will let you know that also.

• Like 5

I have made the modifications mixxer suggested. Removed choke and filled the holes. Enlarged the top inlet side to meet the bottom edge of the slide at WOT, I think I can massage another mm more after I resolve this problem....IMG_2677.thumb.JPG.d43e93c1a24a0cf8c64ee343b4cd7066.JPG

IMG_2674.JPG

It's a cast piece

That's the pump jet...

I've fabricated these from 3/32 brass tube.

IMG_2681.thumb.JPG.658dc5c6b972b99d94852aa20a9e846d.JPG

I ended up going with the one in the middle and used epoxy to seal it and hold in place. The response on the low to mid rpm grunt/torque seems better the exhaust note sounds like there's more grunt as well, but there is a strange response when the low rpm throttle is is opened to about 1/4 then held there instead of running up through the RPMs where the engine should maintain rpm it stumbles like an intermittent miss. I'm guessing it's a rich condition and maybe due to too much fuel through my manufactured pump jet. So I will squeeze it slightly to reduce the jet orifice and check again.

I did have to bend my fabricated jet a lot to get it where it needs to be. The port in the casting is way off.

Maybe epoxy and re-drilling would be a safer bet.

• Like 1

For the cost of a knock off here in Oz I picked up this original carb set up on Ebay.
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/202017790895
I'm assuming a good factory item is a better approach than a brand new knock off. Even if new seals are required? This one looked terrific in the photos.

Sent from my SM-G930F using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 4

On 8/13/2017 at 11:46 AM, mixxer said:

I'm telling myself BBR piston for a 10cc + compression bump... And an oversize intake valve and I'm done... Walking away from the Performance Cocaine table...

But man o man did this carb ever sharpen the teeth of all the other mods on my little bunny...!!! 

Thanks for sharing all the info. Can you summarize your state of mod at this point?

Curious whether this carb or the PWK is relevant to an uncorked but otherwise stock CRF230F. Or does a new carb have to be part of a larger set of upgrades to get the kind of sharper teeth you describe.

Edited by RedMesa
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, RedMesa said:

52 minutes ago, RedMesa said:

Thanks for sharing all the info. Can you summarize your state of mod at this point?

Curious whether this carb or the PWK is relevant to an uncorked but otherwise stock CRF230F. Or does a new carb have to be part of a larger set of upgrades to get the kind of sharper teeth you describe.

Ok here goes nuthin ...

My own setup is ... From inlet to outlet...

Uni air filter

Stock boot

PD pumper cut to match max throttle opening / choke assembly eliminated.... Replacing the stock carb cut to max opening/ choke assembly intact...

Head is thoroughly ported and new stock size valves with blended 5 angle valve seats...

Terry Miller's ST 1.5 camshaft... Torque and midrange profile ...

Stock bore wiseco 11:1 piston with single layer head gasket...

Pro Circuit exhaust...

ProCom CDI Box...

Very strong runner ... No resemblance to stock power...

Even with the torque biased camshaft, this setup makes very good use of the additional CFM of the larger cut carb with the choke plate removed.... Top end run-out is noticably stronger and longer.... And that's with stock displacement... So I'm going to bet that even a lesser mod bike would get a top end boost... But for certain , setups with bigger bore and stroke will really benefit from a bigger than stock carb...

As far as the bottom end power and response through midrange... For real, that is what pumper carbs ALWAYS help out with...  Even if the top end flow could not be utilized,.the throttle response and.early pull would be enhanced....

Hope that helps...

Edited by mixxer
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, NEODS said:

I have made the modifications mixxer suggested. Removed choke and filled the holes. Enlarged the top inlet side to meet the bottom edge of the slide at WOT, I think I can massage another mm more after I resolve this problem....IMG_2677.thumb.JPG.d43e93c1a24a0cf8c64ee343b4cd7066.JPG

IMG_2674.JPG

It's a cast piece

That's the pump jet...

I've fabricated these from 3/32 brass tube.

IMG_2681.thumb.JPG.658dc5c6b972b99d94852aa20a9e846d.JPG

I ended up going with the one in the middle and used epoxy to seal it and hold in place. The response on the low to mid rpm grunt/torque seems better the exhaust note sounds like there's more grunt as well, but there is a strange response when the low rpm throttle is is opened to about 1/4 then held there instead of running up through the RPMs where the engine should maintain rpm it stumbles like an intermittent miss. I'm guessing it's a rich condition and maybe due to too much fuel through my manufactured pump jet. So I will squeeze it slightly to reduce the jet orifice and check again.

I did have to bend my fabricated jet a lot to get it where it needs to be. The port in the casting is way off.

Maybe epoxy and re-drilling would be a safer bet.

Awesome job working around the ill aimed stock pump nozzle...

The pump nozzle holes are very very small.... Pin vise and tiny drill small...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, adnohguy said:

No dis-respect intended, Oldie230, I ordered a 32mm pumper carb on E Bay, it's suppose to be shipped to me on Saturday. I'm only guessing that it will work so I'm not going to get everyone all excited and they start ordering them and then they don't work. SO BE PATIENT... I'm spending the $ and will be the ginny pig and try it out to make sure it works then let EVERYONE know all the things needed to install one. IF IT WONT WORK,I will let you know that also.

No disrespect back Guy, but the question was not if it works for us, but what Honda used such a carb? :) 

Well, I ordered the knockoff carb for my friends stock 230 and as a test carb to compare to the PWK I have on my 230. For only $30 I figured it was worth the gamble. I followed mixers very detailed instructions and have everything looking good. That is until I tried to adjust the pump spray nozzle. I applied very slight pressure to the nozzle and it snapped in half, just like neods picture. This is a real issue with this carb. This nozzle is cast and very delicate, I was super careful but it snapped instead of bending. I don't have the tools or materials to fab another one. Can anyone offer suggestions about finding a replacement nozzle? This adjustment has to be made, but so far only mixxer has been successful.

3 minutes ago, jeffrow68 said:

Well, I ordered the knockoff carb for my friends stock 230 and as a test carb to compare to the PWK I have on my 230. For only $30 I figured it was worth the gamble. I followed mixers very detailed instructions and have everything looking good. That is until I tried to adjust the pump spray nozzle. I applied very slight pressure to the nozzle and it snapped in half, just like neods picture. This is a real issue with this carb. This nozzle is cast and very delicate, I was super careful but it snapped instead of bending. I don't have the tools or materials to fab another one. Can anyone offer suggestions about finding a replacement nozzle? This adjustment has to be made, but so far only mixxer has been successful.

Sure $30. and you get lots of other spare parts with it.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

What a bummer!!

I usually don't have luck on my side with such things... Very glad mine didn't snap!

This site has a lot of skilled machinists as members....  I don't know it any of them would consider making a few nozzles ... If they were not cast, even if they needed some adjustment, they wouldn't snap...

40 minutes ago, mixxer said:

More than welcome... Glad to help if I can...

I've started a new "Builds" section to capture complete packages and Mixxer has graciously agreed to be the first up

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mEsw891e5HUdLIrq4yYQzm2QCsRgK-ihDkrL_fu7_iA/pub#h.n6rui791v0a7

Also trying to unravel some of the long carb threads into starting points at least. Tons of info.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mEsw891e5HUdLIrq4yYQzm2QCsRgK-ihDkrL_fu7_iA/pub#h.rytubb5dtfiv

Thank you for doing all that work to make a condensed data base...

Flattered to be part of it....

• Like 1

That is correct Steveth, I gambled and maybe cost my friend $30. I have the PWK on my 230 and it is fantastic. However, my friend did not wish to invest $209 plus on a PWK but was ok with gambling $30. That is the beauty of this forum, people trying new things and sharing information to make our 230's perform better. NEODS had the same issue and was able to fab a new nozzle. Hopefully I can find an alternative, or I will have a bunch of spare parts for $30, as you said.

• Like 2

Looks like eBay sellers won't have a problem selling used xl250 carbs now....

OEM isn't going to have misaligned spray nozzles... 

• Like 2