How Dirty is Air Filter for Change?

1 hour ago, Airboss/oc said:

ok so all the offroad guys are running dirty air filters , hmmmm amazing I bet supercross goes the whole season without a change

Ah not me. I clean my filter every ride. I need all the power I can get. Dirty air filters rob power. 

I can imagine with simple trail riders it might not make too much difference. 

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:46 PM, Airboss/oc said:

ok so all the offroad guys are running dirty air filters , hmmmm amazing I bet supercross goes the whole season without a change

I'm running 5 filters in my rotation. Now 4 since I a start of a hole in one of them yesterday while soaking them.  it was on the inside and not all the way through but I didn't want to chance it so In the can it went.  Makes it easy to change out when 4 are ready and waiting.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Toby_S said:

While we're on this topic, how does everyone feel about rim grease?

I use It on the bike whether needed or not.  Manual says to put it on. Ktm mechanic says no need. Mechanic didnt pay for the bike. 

Edited by xrbrp

I use filter rim grease EVERY TIME.
It seals really well, zero dirt gets in through rim if done properly, so why not?
The other option is to not use it and risk dirt entering from the one time you have a tiny gap.
With rim grease applied, it helps create a vacuum seal all the way around.
Besides, KTM's strange (shitty?) (atleast on my 2010 XCW) Filter placement, access, design whatever requires it IMO.

Sent from my SM-G955U using ThumperTalk mobile app

As for the OP's post. If the filter has been recently oiled, it's clean enough for more rides.

Dirty filters or dry filters increase the chance of dirt passing thru. When more surface area is plugged air follows the path of least resistance which also increases air velocity in the cleanest area. The higher velocity air is more likely to force dust thru than dispersing the velocity across the wider area on a clean filter.

As for No Toil Green being Stickier than Red, IMO, at first that may be true because the alcohol does make it less sticky in the beginning but after is dissipates, most likely there isn't much difference, its added just to shorten the dry time. 

Edited by MotoXImage
incorrect info

17 hours ago, MotoXImage said:

Dirty filters or dry filters increase the chance of dirt passing thru. When more surface area is plugged air follows the path of least resistance which also increases air velocity in the cleanest area. The higher velocity air is more likely to force dust thru than dispersing the velocity across the wider area on a clean filter.

finally an intelligent post ? some day maybe these guys running dirty filters will learn. for rim grease I use Vaseline its cheap and available everywhere. if you remove a dirty filter and debris falls in carb or throttle body DONT PANIC get the vac and clean up a bit before servicing. I use my leaf blower to remove all loose debris before filter removal then nothing will fall.

• Like 1

Some Dirt specs (ALWAYS) falls into the airboot with removing the filter, its normal procedure to clean and inspect that too. Flash light and classes helps us old folks. If you don't do that, you will miss debri that fell in the shadows, or the nakid eye has difficulty picking up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spud786 said:

Some Dirt specs (ALWAYS) falls into the airboot with removing the filter, its normal procedure to clean and inspect that too. Flash light and classes helps us old folks. If you don't do that, you will miss debri that fell in the shadows, or the nakid eye has difficulty picking up.

I actually apply a thin coat of filter oil to the inside of the boot with my finger. Hopefully if anything does fall in or passes thru the filter it will cling and also it's easier to identify during filter changes. 

• Like 1

Hahahahaaaaaaaa, So Mr. cleans a lot. Do you stop midway through a dusty ride and break out a clean filter, leaf blower, Vaseline and a shop vac? No way the OP's filter is dirty enough for anybody to notice a performance difference. Filter's get dirty, that is why we use them.

On 8/6/2017 at 0:33 PM, Deepseadan said:

If you're motor isn't able to suck in enough air I don't think it's going to work harder. If anything I'd think that would make the motor run richer since there'd be more fuel than air. Slightly richer is bette than lean in my opinion.

I understand your point which makes sense. I think that it's also possible there is a point to the "working harder" point. In certain situations like climbing a hill you might have to drop a gear and rev it harder to make up for the loss of torque. 

don't be the confused literal youth who stand on every printed word like it fell from space. we all know when to change our filter but some think they must change "every ride" meaning when its dirty after 60-100 mile day here in the desert and mountain. sometimes on a camping trip we will go 2-5 days and wont touch till home . (after every ride)

• Like 3