DRZ400SM vs DR650 vs Husqvarna 701

So I know this is kind of a weird group of bikes to lump together and all of these bikes excel at different things but these are what my heart is leading me to. So, a bit about my riding style; I previously came from a CBR500R (first bike) until I decided it was time to move on and upgraded to a GSX-R750 (which was stolen and is now why I'm looking for a new bike). I've been riding for 4 years and have ridden off road literally probably twice on a dirtbike. I want to get into it more but obviously the experience isn't there. I will be using this bike for a 40 mile round trip commute to and from work on the freeway at least 2-3 times a week if not more. Also, I want a bike I can be a damn hooligan on (pulling wheelies, going over jumps, general misuse and abuse). I do have the funds to afford a 701 but I feel like it's a little too expensive and when you throw in maintenance costs and possibly long-term reliability, I'm not sure. Especially because after paying that much money for a bike I'd probably more likely to baby it potentially resulting in less fun. It definitely looks the best and most hooligan-esque out of the three. the DRZ400SM was the first bike I became interested in but the lack of stability and pull on the highway is the only thing really holding me back on this one besides the more frequent oil changes which isn't that big of a deal. Would some mods make this bike more highway friendly? Lastly, the DR650 is another bike I'm interested in for the opposite reason. I've heard it's better on the highway but lacks off road. Would mods fix these issues as well? 

So I know the obvious answer is the Husky 701 because I can afford it, but here's the kicker. So, because my GSX-R750 was stolen, and I purchased GAP and TLP (reimbursement) for the bike, if I buy from the same dealer only. They will give me somewhere in the realm of $2500 - 3000 toward that next bike. So, I'd be paying roughly $3000 - 3500 for a 2017 DRZ or DR. They DO NOT sell Husqvarnas at this dealership, it's a big 4 Japanese dealer only. If I went with the Husky I would basically be paying MSRP + fees so somewhere in the ballpark of $12k - 13k.

What do you guys think? Do I go with the super cheap DR or DRZ? Would the mods even be worth it (FCR, full exhaust, 3x3, big bore eventually, etc)? Do I go with the highly expensive Husky where mods won't really be a necessity? I tried to provide as much insight as possible so y'all could lead me in the right direction. I figured that this question has not been asked before (comparing these 3 on which to buy) and what better place to ask than TT. 

Edited by justgresh

Freeway? Dual Sport? Not a good idea unless you get the 701 but then it's too much bike for trail riding. If you want to ride street then get a street bike. I like the new Yamaha SCR950. You could gravel road that but no trail riding. Get a XR400 or KDX200 or XR250 or DRZ400E for first trail riding bike. 

4 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Freeway? Dual Sport? Not a good idea unless you get the 701 but then it's too much bike for trail riding. If you want to ride street then get a street bike. I like the new Yamaha SCR950. You could gravel road that but no trail riding. Get a XR400 or KDX200 or XR250 or DRZ400E for first trail riding bike. 

I don't like this answer but I guess this is the reality of it. Would the 701 be too much bike for trails? It weighs the same as a DRZ. Is it the power that makes you say that?

6 minutes ago, justgresh said:

I don't like this answer but I guess this is the reality of it. Would the 701 be too much bike for trails? It weighs the same as a DRZ. Is it the power that makes you say that?

You have ridden a dirt bike twice. 700cc of power and weight will not help you unless you're blasting down straight deserts or logging roads (in a straight line). It would be a good trail bike for someone with years of experience but even then most opt for smaller and lighter such as the 300 two stroke. 

The DRZ and DR650 will be completely anemic for any freeway riding. Don't even bother. 

1 minute ago, shrubitup said:

You have ridden a dirt bike twice. 700cc of power and weight will not help you unless you're blasting down straight deserts or logging roads (in a straight line). It would be a good trail bike for someone with years of experience but even then most opt for smaller and lighter such as the 300 two stroke. 

The DRZ and DR650 will be completely anemic for any freeway riding. Don't even bother. 

Well, I do appreciate the feedback. Are there any bikes you would recommend that are well rounded? For example, not make me hate life on the highway and also hit the trails. As far as trails, it doesn't need to be the most technical, just some good basic stuff. While the SCR950 is a beautiful bike, it's not really the style I see myself riding.

4 minutes ago, justgresh said:

Well, I do appreciate the feedback. Are there any bikes you would recommend that are well rounded? For example, not make me hate life on the highway and also hit the trails. As far as trails, it doesn't need to be the most technical, just some good basic stuff. While the SCR950 is a beautiful bike, it's not really the style I see myself riding.

Highway or freeway? What cruising speed are you looking for? 75MPH+ plus? The DRZ and DR650 won't pull it very well, will be revving high and cannot go much faster if necessary. 60MPH cruising speed? No problem with the DRZ or DR650.

IMO, you need a road capable bike that can spool up to a 100MPH very quickly to get away from cagers on the freeway. The DRZ and DR650 will not do this - ever. However, if you're talking country two lane highways around 60-65 maximum then no problem. 

Basic trails that aren't difficult will be fine on most any dirt bike really but you want to try and reduce weight if you intend to ride slow and challenging terrain. 

On 8/4/2017 at 9:47 PM, justgresh said:

So I know this is kind of a weird group of bikes to lump together and all of these bikes excel at different things but these are what my heart is leading me to. So, a bit about my riding style; I previously came from a CBR500R (first bike) until I decided it was time to move on and upgraded to a GSX-R750 (which was stolen and is now why I'm looking for a new bike). I've been riding for 4 years and have ridden off road literally probably twice on a dirtbike. I want to get into it more but obviously the experience isn't there. I will be using this bike for a 40 mile round trip commute to and from work on the freeway at least 2-3 times a week if not more. Also, I want a bike I can be a damn hooligan on (pulling wheelies, going over jumps, general misuse and abuse). I do have the funds to afford a 701 but I feel like it's a little too expensive and when you throw in maintenance costs and possibly long-term reliability, I'm not sure. Especially because after paying that much money for a bike I'd probably more likely to baby it potentially resulting in less fun. It definitely looks the best and most hooligan-esque out of the three. the DRZ400SM was the first bike I became interested in but the lack of stability and pull on the highway is the only thing really holding me back on this one besides the more frequent oil changes which isn't that big of a deal. Would some mods make this bike more highway friendly? Lastly, the DR650 is another bike I'm interested in for the opposite reason. I've heard it's better on the highway but lacks off road. Would mods fix these issues as well? 

So I know the obvious answer is the Husky 701 because I can afford it, but here's the kicker. So, because my GSX-R750 was stolen, and I purchased GAP and TLP (reimbursement) for the bike, if I buy from the same dealer only. They will give me somewhere in the realm of $2500 - 3000 toward that next bike. So, I'd be paying roughly $3000 - 3500 for a 2017 DRZ or DR. They DO NOT sell Husqvarnas at this dealership, it's a big 4 Japanese dealer only. If I went with the Husky I would basically be paying MSRP + fees so somewhere in the ballpark of $12k - 13k.

What do you guys think? Do I go with the super cheap DR or DRZ? Would the mods even be worth it (FCR, full exhaust, 3x3, big bore eventually, etc)? Do I go with the highly expensive Husky where mods won't really be a necessity? I tried to provide as much insight as possible so y'all could lead me in the right direction. I figured that this question has not been asked before (comparing these 3 on which to buy) and what better place to ask than TT. 

You don't state your location or the type of off road riding intended. I've owned a DRZ dirt version, 2 KLR650's and currently a KTM 690R. My DRZ was pretty worthless on long pavement stretches, let alone the highway. I'm guessing the SM is geared higher and has smaller wheels which would make it pretty worthless off road. The KLR's were pretty good all around, heavy which is an advantage on the highway but not so much in the dirt. The DR is lighter and the advantages flip a bit. 

I've had the KTM 690 for 10 months and it is very similar to the 701 as I understand. It can cruise between fill ups easily at 75 with the ability to burst to over 100. It's good off road except in the nastiest single track. Maintenance is a bit more involved and there are some quirks, but I don't mind. 

Check out the bike specific forums and good luck! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

You don't state your location or the type of off road riding intended. I've owned a DRZ dirt version, 2 KLR650's and currently a KTM 690R. My DRZ was pretty worthless on long pavement stretches, let alone the highway. I'm guessing the SM is geared higher and has smaller wheels which would make it pretty worthless off road. The KLR's were pretty good all around, heavy which is an advantage on the highway but not so much in the dirt. The DR is lighter and the advantages flip a bit. 

I've had the KTM 690 for 10 months and it is very similar to the 701 as I understand. It can cruise between fill ups easily at 75 with the ability to burst to over 100. It's good off road except in the nastiest single track. Maintenance is a bit more involved and there are some quirks, but I don't mind. 

Check out the bike specific forums and good luck! :thumbsup:

Ahh, I knew I left something out. I'm in San Diego so there's a ton of highway around. As far as off road riding I don't really know. I'm down for anything and ultimately that would be decided by whatever bike I choose. I will say that realistically I'll be on the street roughly 90% of the time.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, justgresh said:

Ahh, I knew I left something out. I'm in San Diego so there's a ton of highway around. As far as off road riding I don't really know. I'm down for anything and ultimately that would be decided by whatever bike I choose. I will say that realistically I'll be on the street roughly 90% of the time.

I've ridden in San Diego, but only street. :eek: for us rural folk. Alot like Phoenix.

I still think the KTM/Husky would be a good choice, but in this category there are compromises.

Perhaps the Kali regional forum could offer better advice.:cheers:

I've ridden in San Diego, but only street. :eek: for us rural folk. Alot like Phoenix.
I still think the KTM/Husky would be a good choice, but in this category there are compromises.
Perhaps the Kali regional forum could offer better advice.:cheers:

I was also considering an fz-09 for pure hooliganism.
  • Like 1

Just now, justgresh said:

I was also considering an fz-09 for pure hooliganism.

Understand that's a great bike. I have a Z1000. Neither is of much use in the dirt though.

You make your choice and pay your money.

Do I see 2 bikes in your future? Works for me!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jason76 said:

Ktm 500 excf

That'd be nice. Just not sure if riding dual sport constantly (as in replace your car) on it would be the most comfortable or practical from a maintenance standpoint. 

• Like 3

The SM is like the , "Hello my name is Jazz" version of the original DRZ400. To be as crude and un PC as possible, once you buy the bike, you would have to spend around an additional 3K on gender reassignment surgery to get its nuts back.
I think an FZ09 or 1000 will suit your needs just fine.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 2

The SM is like the , "Hello my name is Jazz" version of the original DRZ400. To be as crude and un PC as possible, once you buy the bike, you would have to spend around an additional 3K on gender reassignment surgery to get its nuts back.
I think an FZ09 or 1000 will suit your needs just fine.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Awesome. I just started looking into the FZ09 and it looks great! It's probably the bike I'll end up with
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2017 at 6:09 AM, justgresh said:

Awesome. I just started looking into the FZ09 and it looks great! It's probably the bike I'll end up with

Much better than a dual sport for street riding! :ride:

Watch some DR650 videos on YouTube.  They will do 100+ MPH on the highway and can do amazingly well offroad.  They are also bullet proof.

Doc

13 hours ago, Doc_d said:

Watch some DR650 videos on YouTube.  They will do 100+ MPH on the highway and can do amazingly well offroad.  They are also bullet proof.

Doc

Vibrating and shimmying all over the road at that speed. Completely wound out too. Geared down as well. I had one and it had little room past 70 IMO. Yes, a very decent off road bike but on the small size if you're 6 foot or taller. 

My Fuel injected 6 speed wr250r does everything , rides all day @ 75 mph butter smooth and hit some gnarly single track trails like a boss but yet 3k oil changes and 26k valve checks. It takes a beating  and wheelies are fun. A true swiss army knife of a motorcycle. Modded weight down to 285 lbs. DRZ400 is much heavier, only 5 speed and a 90's carb and suspension. 

Does the dealer sell all of the big 4? I can't see leaving 3k on the table. Seems like a you could get two dual sports for the price of the husky. Once that 3k is factored in. Vstrom and use the extra cash to buy a good used dirt-oriented dual sport?

• Like 1