Passing Jeeps, Quads and SxS when going up hill. Keep your speed?

We have endless rocky, loose climbs here that are about 1-1.5 jeep width. Jeeps are crawling along at 3mph, bikes can do 20+

To get around them you have to go off to the side where it's extra loose and off-camber.  I've found the best way to do this is to keep your momentum (hard on the gas, since it's uphill) until you get very close to the jeep.  Then you can get off the throttle and simply coast past without creating any roost.  After the pass you still have some momentum to get back on line and can get back up to speed without roosting.  So basically I'm doing 20+ right up close and then coasting down to 10mph by the time I'm passed them.

It makes for a very quick, easy, painless pass, with no rocks/roost hitting the jeep.  The jeep doesn't even have to move over, or move at all. But from the jeeps perspective, they might think I'm being a d!ck by coming at them at full speed, not slowing down etc.

What do you do?

I do the same...but to anything or anyone(except children) holding me up.

Strangers get a clean pass, friends get roost and maybe an elbow. :devil:

I do pretty much the same. No need to make enemies. Where momentum isn't needed I'll use trials techniques of throttle and clutch control, balance and body English to finesse my way around. 

No matter how you do it, it's so much easier on a bike that it probably makes crawling the trail in a jeep seem like a lot less fun. :-(

Agree with Old Plonker, no need to be a dick. 99 percent of jeeps know you're behind them and they're happy to let you by.

14 hours ago, dyrtmon said:

Agree with Old Plonker, no need to be a dick. 99 percent of jeeps know you're behind them and they're happy to let you by.

Actually around here about 1/4 won't move over.  You'd be at the top of the mountain, by the time you got past a convoy if you waited for them to yeild some trail.  Sometimes they're just parked in the middle of the trail with their door hanging open, taking photos or having a soda or something.

Getting around them quickly without them having to do anything works wonders, I just hope they understand I'm trying to get around them without creating roost.  Not trying to be pushy.

I mostly am as nice as what I think my chances of eating shit while in sight are. If I can blast by easy, I do that. If I think I might eat shit while being a dick, I back off it. I always wave to show my good intentions.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

7 hours ago, Colorado^ said:

Actually around here about 1/4 won't move over.  You'd be at the top of the mountain, by the time you got past a convoy if you waited for them to yeild some trail.  Sometimes they're just parked in the middle of the trail with their door hanging open, taking photos or having a soda or something.

Yeah, that's not cool, especially if they know (and they certainly do) that you're behind them.  I don't want to be a dick, and want to pass safely and politely...however if they're being jerks going 3mph and not pulling over in obvious places well then I'm gonna pass even if it kicks up a little dust and a few rocks.

And if I can wave I will..

Having just recently done Imogene, Cinnamon and Engineer passes in a Jeep I can relate to this.  We always pull over for bikes, and sometimes quads and SxSs if they need to pass.  But, the jerks on SxSs are the ones that won't let you by no matter what.  And we saw maybe a thousand of the damn things that weekend.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

I try to pass in the cleanest way without roosting them. If you know I'm there, but refused to move over when given a couple opportunities, I pass however it suites me and my buddies.

A wave (where possible) is a good idea I agree.  It helps show friendly/good intentions.

I had a dirt bike that didn't want to let me pass the other day.  Pretty sure he heard me beep my horn, but he just ignored it and seemed to try to speed up.  How do you pass a hot mess like that?  He was pin-balling, legs flying all over the place, not holding a line, and I didn't want to crash into him.

In the end I just cut him off to make the pass (shrug).

Here's some gopro of the dirt bike guy, along with a couple of jeeps that were stopped in the middle of the trail.

A wave (where possible) is a good idea I agree.  It helps show friendly/good intentions.
I had a dirt bike that didn't want to let me pass the other day.  Pretty sure he heard me beep my horn, but he just ignored it and seemed to try to speed up.  How do you pass a hot mess like that?  He was pin-balling, legs flying all over the place, not holding a line, and I didn't want to crash into him.
In the end I just cut him off to make the pass (shrug).
Here's some gopro of the dirt bike guy, along with a couple of jeeps that were stopped in the middle of the trail.

[/url]  

Bet that last jeep you went by opposite direction had images of front left quarter panel replacement going through his mind for a sec. Probably talked shit about you too... but I understand both sides of that coin. Besides a slight rise in any 4x4 road absolutely must be wheelied, even if a vehicle is oncoming. Rock on

Sent from my SM-G930V using ThumperTalk mobile app

8 minutes ago, bradcutter said:

Bet that last jeep you went by opposite direction had images of front left quarter panel replacement going through his mind for a sec. Probably talked shit about you too... but I understand both sides of that coin. Besides a slight rise in any 4x4 road absolutely must be wheelied, even if a vehicle is oncoming. Rock on

Lol! Yeah, that was probably a touch aggressive, but he could see me coming for a few hundred yards and didn't bother to move over an inch, so...

Lol! Yeah, that was probably a touch aggressive, but he could see me coming for a few hundred yards and didn't bother to move over an inch, so...

Agreed

Clueless goon, probably just doesn't know to pull over for faster traffic.

eehh.  If i realize someone is behind me and going faster i pull to the right and wave them past.  But on rare occasion someone will pass me that I didnt even know was there.  I think given the rockiness of the road, he was just concentrating on where he was.

IMO you need to give the guy on the dirt bike more of a chance to understand you are behind them.  Sometimes you can hear a bike behind you....other times not so much.  Hearing a horn behind me doesn't make me think there is a dirt bike that needs to pass me - it would probably make we wonder what that noise was (its not a common sound on the trail).  Give them a bit more time to realize you are there. 

If they seem like they don't know that I am behind them and trying to pass, I am going to wait for a wide spot where they can hold their line and I can also get past in a separate clean line.  Trying to shoot past when you have a clean line but they have rocks ahead is what happened to you.  He came over to "your line" because he was avoiding the rocks in front of him and going for the clean line and you happened to be right there.  I honestly think he didnt get it until you were right next to him and nearly ran into him.

On the Jeeps, i might approach them fast but then i slow down and linger in their rear view mirror zone (where I can see their eyes) and wait until they see me.  Once they do they usually pull just a bit to the right and you can get past.  Sometimes they seem to think you need more room than you actually do.  Unless it is nearing a blind corner and I have to take the opportunity given quickly, I take it easy going past, usually wave and audibly say thank you and once past give them a hand signal as to whether I am the first rider, second, third....or last rider so they will know if others are coming past.

The Jeep guys use their mirrors, the motorcycle guys never use their mirrors (cause everybody knows the mirrors dont stay in place while riding the trails),  and the SXS guys think they are going so fast and so badass they NEVER even consider checking their mirrors to see if someone might be piling up behind them.  Those are the guys you need to wait for a good opportunity and blow past them because they are going much faster than Jeeps (assuming they didnt actually see you in their mirrors and pull over).  It also seems that most SXS dont know the offroading etiquette and have no clue about hand signals - esp the rental SXS's and ATVs.

The last Jeep you passed going the opposite way, you were going too fast.  Remember, sometimes newbies are driving them and are uncomfortable going near the edge because the don't really have confidence in the width of their vehicle so it appears they are hugging your side of the road.  You and I both know if hardly takes any space to get past them on a motorcycle, but when you come ripping right up to them it makes them nervous.  I have yet to encounter a hill that is so badass that I simply must blow past them at high speed.  If that is the case, I'm going to wait until they clear the obstacle/hill and then go all out.

A horn behind you means gtf out of the way.

1 hour ago, HeavyRotation said:

A horn behind you means gtf out of the way.

Not in Colorado...on the trail...at least not in my experience riding offroad for 43 years now.  Few dirt bikes have horns, only the plated dirt bikes.  Honking once might be fine to get them to notice you are behind them and then allow them opportunity to find a place to let you by safely (their perception of safely-not yours).  If they purposely dont want to let you by then it seems ok to pass them like you are racing/jockeying for position.

Not in Colorado...on the trail...at least not in my experience riding offroad for 43 years now.  Few dirt bikes have horns, only the plated dirt bikes.  Honking once might be fine to get them to notice you are behind them and then allow them opportunity to find a place to let you by safely (their perception of safely-not yours).  If they purposely dont want to let you by then it seems ok to pass them like you are racing/jockeying for position.

Most people simply blip the throttle if they don't have a horn, any indication you're holding folks up should be good. You'd have to be pretty dense or selfish to willfully ignore that indication. Did you never enter a race in 43 years or were you just winning big every single one so you never learned trail ettiquet?

Thanks guys, it's always good to get a different perspective.

I used to 'rev to pass' before I got a plate, but man the horn is one of my favorite upgrades ever.  It usually works wonders, because people are like, WTF?, and turn around.

Silvfx, I'm not sure how a horn could be interpreted any other way? Maybe he had headphones and didn't hear it?

Assuming he did hear it, then he had ample chance/s to move over or back off the throttle.   I could have waited, but the trail was about to get a lot steeper & harder and near impossible to pass.

I don't get to do group rides much, so all the passing etiquette I've learned is from watching youtube.  Sad, but true!

I thought that was how you make a clean pass.  Basically stay on the guy until he makes a mistake (line choice) and then take the good line and get beside him ASAP so he can see you're there.

16 hours ago, HeavyRotation said:

Most people simply blip the throttle if they don't have a horn, any indication you're holding folks up should be good. You'd have to be pretty dense or selfish to willfully ignore that indication. Did you never enter a race in 43 years or were you just winning big every single one so you never learned trail ettiquet?

No...just riding for fun all those years.  No racing.  I appreciate that honking a horn may be the standard for any type of motorcycle racing racing, I am just commenting on my experience here in Colorado for regular old trail riding which is where the OP is from.  While the rider may have been dense, I can more easily see other explanations such as he has earplugs in, he is listening to music, or he realizes that you are catching up to him and his group and he attempts to pick up the pace a bit more (not successfully in this case) , or even that he is concentrating so much on whats ahead he didnt hear or see you approach him.  I wouldnt leap first to any assumptions about people being jerks or stupid - albeit there might be a few of those.

I agree about blipping the throttle or another indication you are back there as that is a bit more subtle and goes toward the idea that you just might need to give the rider a chance to perceive you are there and riding at a consistently faster pace - I didnt really see that in the video the OP provided.  Most people dont like people crawling up their behind and simply move over when given a reasonable chance to do so.  I suppose a few take it as an opportunity to show off their racing skills and like to compete for position but in my experience that is usually limited to your own riding buddies.

HeavyRotation not really looking to start a flame war on this.  Just sharing my perspective.  I see your perspective as valid too.  I tend to think that approaching 4WD road and trail riding like you are in daily commuter traffic and tailgating to get people to move over, doesn't really fly with people who are just out enjoying the backcountry and looking to get away from all the not so great aspects of city living.  Just throwing out the idea that the OP may be more effective in getting past people by being less aggressive.  Sometimes an aggressive approach can get the opposite reaction of what you are seeking. While I am no expert on human behavior, having been born and and raised in Colorado and my family being here since late 1800s I feel that I have a pretty good idea of how people in Colorado like to operate beyond the big cities and there is a very marked difference between.