New Riders in Central Ohio?

Any newer riders around central/eastern Ohio who want join me for dual sport rides? I'm in my first year of riding and only have about 4k miles under my belt so I'm looking for people who are also not really ready to spend the day jumping their bikes and racing through single track. I don't know the dirt roads or tracks around Ohio very well at all, but I count that as part of the learning curve with starting to dual sport. 

So, if you want to go out and have help picking up your bike (and don't mind helping others) and learning to dual sport with a relaxed, patient, and responsible, middle aged man. Let me know. I live just east of Gahanna but am fine with riding an hour or so to meet up (that's part of dual sporting, right?).

-Joe

IMG_0687.JPG

Edited by joeusaf1
Forgot area
  • Like 4

On 8/5/2017 at 10:36 AM, joeusaf1 said:

Any newer riders around central/eastern Ohio who want join me for dual sport rides? I'm in my first year of riding and only have about 4k miles under my belt so I'm looking for people who are also not really ready to spend the day jumping their bikes and racing through single track. I don't know the dirt roads or tracks around Ohio very well at all, but I count that as part of the learning curve with starting to dual sport. 

So, if you want to go out and have help picking up your bike (and don't mind helping others) and learning to dual sport with a relaxed, patient, and responsible, middle aged man. Let me know. I live just east of Gahanna but am fine with riding an hour or so to meet up (that's part of dual sporting, right?).

-Joe

IMG_0687.JPG

Go to the Perry thread they will set you in the right direction there are some dual sport riders in that thread. 

• Like 1

I ride a couple dual sports a year with some other intermediate skilled, middle aged guys.  And we often ride the Long Ridge trails at Wayne National Forest.  We'll actually be out there tomorrow afternoon.  Let me know if you're interested, let me know.

• Like 2

I ride a couple dual sports a year with some other intermediate skilled, middle aged guys.  And we often ride the Long Ridge trails at Wayne National Forest.  We'll actually be out there tomorrow afternoon.  Let me know if you're interested, let me know.

Interested, but I won't be able to make it. I'll be working in Dayton. Thanks for letting me know though. Please keep me in mind for the next trip.

• 2 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:36 AM, joeusaf1 said:

-Joe

IMG_0687.JPG

Nice DS ride in Southern Ohio this weekend for you...

LAKE VESUVIUS DUAL SPORT

Where: Wayne National Forest Superior Trail Head  82° 41’ 31.891” W, 38° 40’ 30.347” N. Take highway 93 to state route 522. Turn west and go 3 miles to trailhead.

What: Nice easy Dual Sport. Not Enduro style trails, but good fun. Great for novices and intermediate riders. 60 miles of forest service trail plus 30 miles of back roads. Entry Fee $30. Headlight, Taillight, License Plates, USFS Spark Arrestor Required.

When: Sunday October 22. Riders meeting at 9:45 am. Start at 10:00.

Lunch: Lunch will be provided at half-way point

Gas: Bring a Gas Can. Gas is back at start (36 miles).

Camping: Free Primitive Camping at the start parking lot. Camping also available at Lake Vesuvius with Showers and Electric $20. Reservations recommended

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

I'd lost track of this thread and am sorry for not responding.

I traded my DRZ400 for a DR650 so I can set it up for a capable lightweight adventurer.  I was only able to pack up my gear once and go camping last year but hope to get out a bunch more this year. I'd also like to work on my abilities in the dirt, but have no dreams of becoming a wiz at enduro. So, if you're also terrible at dirt riding, let me know and I'm more than happy to help you pick up your bike if you don't roll your eyes too much when I drop mine. ?

Does anyone know of a good field or sand pit around central Ohio where we could get some off road practice in?

Fred, I'm from over near Gahanna (N. Waggoner). Where are you? 

• Like 1

-Joe

IMG_0687.JPG.0a74069859511555031d10f7f078a842.JPG

I like your Trump sign in the back
  • Like 1

I am definitely interested. I'm currently converting a YZ250 over for trail riding. I'll be working on that this winter to get it ready to go and if I have the strength then yeah I'm up for campings and riding it Wayne I don't know how much I can do yet so I'll get out there and test the waters but definitely up for it. I just got my license plate for it today but it doesn't have any equipment on it

• Like 1

I'm in. Here's a pic of the DR I'm transforming into an adventure bike. I currently don't have a garage to work in, so I need to wait for it to warm up so I can do the work on it. I've got a larger tank, dashboard, and soon will have a kit to rebuild the front forks. I'll be happy to do some trail riding and camping whenever I'm not busy with work or the family.

Fred. I'm a noob to riding. I've only got about 10k miles under my belt and I only started last spring. I've only done about 20 miles on dirt roads and 5 miles on loose gravel. So if you've looking to learn with someone, I'm more than happy to help you pick up your bike.

Honda. Do you live near Columbus or in Indiana? I spend most of my work week at the Dayton international airport, so maybe we can find some good roads out in that area also.

IMG_0966.JPG

IMG_0981.JPG

Nice DS ride in Southern Ohio this weekend for you...

LAKE VESUVIUS DUAL SPORT

Where: Wayne National Forest Superior Trail Head  82° 41’ 31.891” W, 38° 40’ 30.347” N. Take highway 93 to state route 522. Turn west and go 3 miles to trailhead.

What: Nice easy Dual Sport. Not Enduro style trails, but good fun. Great for novices and intermediate riders. 60 miles of forest service trail plus 30 miles of back roads. Entry Fee $30. Headlight, Taillight, License Plates, USFS Spark Arrestor Required.

When: Sunday October 22. Riders meeting at 9:45 am. Start at 10:00.

Lunch: Lunch will be provided at half-way point

Gas: Bring a Gas Can. Gas is back at start (36 miles).

Camping: Free Primitive Camping at the start parking lot. Camping also available at Lake Vesuvius with Showers and Electric $20. Reservations recommended

Do the headlights and taillights have to work?

On 1/19/2018 at 9:56 PM, levy1 said:

Do the headlights and taillights have to work?

I'm not sure. They'll have more information when the event comes around again this year.

On 1/19/2018 at 6:38 PM, hondahondo said:

I'm in Indiana, but I don't mind travel at all. I finished the conversion on my XR400R this past Fall. If you want to do some on/off-road trails, I can start mapping a few out with some suitable entry level off-road. 

IMG_3698.JPG

Nice Bike.

That will work for me. We'll have to get together as soon as the ice is off the road.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any experience changing out fork seals or know of a shop in central Ohio that won't overcharge for taking care of this? Mine are leaking and since I only traded for the bike this summer, I'm not sure how long they've been leaking so I'd like to just change the seals and fork oil. I don't think it would be too hard, but I sure wouldn't mind having some guidance from someone with experience. If not, no worries, I'll just learn all I can in the forums and on youtube and tackle it as soon as the weather allows.