HELP! Oil leak

Hi there literally just had a little ride on my bike, it cut out so I started it again and it was making a horrible rattling sound and I've noticed an oil leak behind where the oil drain bolt is, can someone please tell me what's happened and if it's serious? Thanks in advance

Take a look at the photo, the leak is exactly where I'm pointing

IMG_1073.JPG

If I'm not mistaken, thats the transmission oil drain bolt.

Regardless, if its making a horrible rattle sound, DO NOT start it until you have sorted that out.

What year is the bike and how long have you owned it among other questions?

Regardless, if its making a horrible rattle sound, DO NOT start it until you have sorted that out.

I've had the bike around 5 weeks, haven't riden it too much but it had no leaks at all, now all of a sudden that seal has started leaking quite rapidly and the engine sound is horrible! :/

And the bike is an 03 mate. Are you sure that's he transmission drain bolt? I thought that was behind that, underneath the sprocket?
9 minutes ago, DanBradley said:

And the bike is an 03 mate. Are you sure that's he transmission drain bolt? I thought that was behind that, underneath the sprocket?

Ya Now that I look at it, thats a lower outer case bolt.

Did you check/replace the engine oil/filter and tranny oil since you bought it?

This sounds like a somewhat complicated issue but as I posted a horrible rattling sound needs to be sorted ASAP and IMO is most likely an internal engine failure but not sure why you have the oil leak

To start, Pull the engine oil drain bolt (at the bottom of the engine) and follow the procedure for doing an oil change and drain the oil through a coffee filter. If there is metal in the coffee filter, that will determine your next steps.

Ya Now that I look at it, thats a lower outer case bolt.
Did you check/replace the engine oil/filter and tranny oil since you bought it?
This sounds like a somewhat complicated issue but as I posted a horrible rattling sound needs to be sorted ASAP and IMO is most likely an internal engine failure but not sure why you have the oil leak
To start, Pull the engine oil drain bolt (at the bottom of the engine) and follow the procedure for doing an oil change and drain the oil through a coffee filter. If there is metal in the coffee filter, that will determine your next steps.

I will drain the oil now. Yes I changed the filter and did both engine and tranny oil. It has run completely fine, starts first kick, doesn't backfire, doesn't cut out and idles spot on.

That bolt isn't the engine case bolt, it's defiantly the engine oil drain bolt mate. Can't get my head around why there's a leak in the seal behind it? The rattling and leak has all come on at the same time :/

did you use new seal washers, aluminum ones?  are you sure the drain plug is not leaking and running back to that casting seam and then dripping off.

And now that I look at my Clymer manual for the 2002 to 2005 250X/R and 450X/R, yes that is the engine oil drain bolt on the 450 bit the horrible noise should still be the first thing you deal with

Thats the engine side oil drain bolt on the 02-08. It'll leak if you dont get the case clean and the washer clean and the bottom of the bolt head clean before you put it back in.

Now, why the engine is now rattling could be a thousand different things, but I'd check the decompressor lever arm valve train first. And then the cam chain tensioner, because if its the stock part the bike was delivered with, it's worn out and it's probably backed off and trying to suck money out of your wallet.

did you use new seal washers, aluminum ones?  are you sure the drain plug is not leaking and running back to that casting seam and then dripping off.

No I didn't mate. Used the same washer, I didn't realise. And no it's defiantly coming out the seam, no oil at all around the bolt

What a nightmare, just went to drain the oil through a coffee filter. Not a drop came out? Although I can see the oil level through the glass peep hole? Now I've been to where the bike is stored and yep, there's massive puddle of oil underneath it. Defiantly f****d

10 hours ago, DanBradley said:

What a nightmare, just went to drain the oil through a coffee filter. Not a drop came out? Although I can see the oil level through the glass peep hole? Now I've been to where the bike is stored and yep, there's massive puddle of oil underneath it. Defiantly f****d

I have a 05 CRF250R so I am by no means and expert on the 450R (as proven by some of my replies) BUT ya unfortunately that sounds f%%^ed up :( I'm also not a master mechanic and do my work in my back yard with out a shop so I do know my limitations.

In my experience with my 250R, I've had a transmission oil to engine oil migration issue which causes the engine oil to overflow and blow up the crankcase vent into the air box causing lots of oil to leak out BUT if you have no engine oil and there is a massive puddle, I'm assuming there is either a major gasket failure or an actual hole in one of the case which IMO should be fairly obvious to find OR get some cheap oil and start re-filling the engine to help find the issue.

Sorry to hear about this dude and HOPEFULLY its not worst case but I'm interest so please keep us post on how things turn out.

I have a 05 CRF250R so I am by no means and expert on the 450R (as proven by some of my replies) BUT ya unfortunately that sounds f%%^ed up I'm also not a master mechanic and do my work in my back yard with out a shop so I do know my limitations.
In my experience with my 250R, I've had a transmission oil to engine oil migration issue which causes the engine oil to overflow and blow up the crankcase vent into the air box causing lots of oil to leak out BUT if you have no engine oil and there is a massive puddle, I'm assuming there is either a major gasket failure or an actual hole in one of the case which IMO should be fairly obvious to find OR get some cheap oil and start re-filling the engine to help find the issue.
Sorry to hear about this dude and HOPEFULLY its not worst case but I'm interest so please keep us post on how things turn out.

Hi mate, I've put up another post about this now. Basically it looks like I've been a complete retard and i didn't change the crush washer when I did the oil change as a result of that I have snapped the left side crank case, very slight but yeah it's here, about a inch long. God knows what I'm gunna do, in the uk that's got £1,500 written all over it gutted is an understanding
27 minutes ago, DanBradley said:

Hi mate, I've put up another post about this now. Basically it looks like I've been a complete retard and i didn't change the crush washer when I did the oil change as a result of that I have snapped the left side crank case, very slight but yeah it's here, about a inch long. God knows what I'm gunna do, in the uk that's got £1,500 written all over it emoji1304.png gutted is an understanding

Is that the crack above your finger in your first pic and is it the inner or outer case? Sorry the 450R's are completely different than the 250R.

And I hate to say this (and hopefully I'm wrong) but the case may be the least of you problems cus if you were running with out engine oil, the horrible rattling sound might be extensive internal engine damage :(

I know places on-line where you get good used OEM parts relatively cheap but IMO and at this point and if it was me I would start pulling the motor, accessing what your dealing with and figuring out the best and cheapest way to sort it.

Hopefully your not dealing with MAJOR $$$$$$$$$$ repair :(

Edited by filterx
Is that the crack above your finger in your first pic and is it the inner or outer case? Sorry the 450R's are completely different than the 250R.
And I hate to say this (and hopefully I'm wrong) but the case may be the least of you problems cus if you were running with out engine oil, the horrible rattling sound might be extensive internal engine damage
I know places on-line where you get good used OEM parts relatively cheap but IMO and at this point and if it was me I would start pulling the motor, accessing what your dealing with and figuring out the best and cheapest way to sort it.
Hopefully your not dealing with MAJOR $$$$$$$$$$ repair

It's on the inner case and yeah it is just above my finger, you can just about see it. I topped up with some new oil and drained it straight out there were 3 really small pieces of metal in it. I'm going to take it to my local mechanic on Tuesday mate. I'm no good with engines
2 minutes ago, DanBradley said:

It's on the inner case and yeah it is just above my finger, you can just about see it. I topped up with some new oil and drained it straight out there were 3 really small pieces of metal in it. I'm going to take it to my local mechanic on Tuesday mate. I'm no good with engines

Again sorry dude.

Regarding the leak, that bolt (as mentioned) is the engine side drain bolt. Your washer seems to be toast.  What you're pointing at is where the left cover meets the crankcase and it looks to be missing part of the gasket.  Once you can get it drained, change the gasket and washer then refill it.  Measure out the oil and fill.

I agree HRC27  When zoomed up it looks like a bit of the ignition cover gasket is gone.