Skipping/cutting out under load 08 crf250r

Hey everyone! Man it's been a day. Went through the whole top end. Everything is in spec, carb was went through and all. Only thing I am concerned about is the TPS sensor on the carb. I took it off when cleaning the carb and didn't mark where it was positioned. So I'm not sure if this is my problem or not. I haven't changed anything since I've had the bike just maintenance. What is happening is when I'm cruising In any gear about mid throttle I get a skip. Like it cuts out. It's not consistent just random misses. I am lost on what to do. Someone please help!!!

I will try that. At least get a new needle. Like I said I've never touched anything on the bike as far as carb numbers and stiff

FYI, your thread title '...under load...'' is not the same as you describe in first post (...when cruising along in gear...'. A common cause of a sudden misfire under load is a bad spark plug, bad coil or high tension lead (where applicable). In some cases, it can also be a failing stator.

Get the emulsion tube too, both it and the needle wear.

Yeah I replaced the spark plug and that's it electrical. Just don't want to buy a couple hundred dollar electrical component when that's not the problem. And yeah the title was just my best description. It's hard to explain it unless you ride it

If the bike ever ran well with the jetting you have now, the problem will not be jetting.

Most likey you have an arcing problem: plug cap, wire, stator harness plug, stator, or bad ground(s)

On 8/5/2017 at 2:09 PM, Cslong324 said:

Hey everyone! Man it's been a day. Went through the whole top end. Everything is in spec, carb was went through and all. Only thing I am concerned about is the TPS sensor on the carb. I took it off when cleaning the carb and didn't mark where it was positioned. So I'm not sure if this is my problem or not. I haven't changed anything since I've had the bike just maintenance. What is happening is when I'm cruising In any gear about mid throttle I get a skip. Like it cuts out. It's not consistent just random misses. I am lost on what to do. Someone please help!!!

I am prone to doing the things you don't come out of pocket with first.   Set the tps per the manual,  set the float per the manual,  and move on from there to the grounds and connections,  or start with the grounds and connections.   The intermittent stuff is frustrating.  

I'd be checking circuitry with a multimeter to see if any wires are going bad, etc.  Is spark plug boot on tight?  Stator going bad, or regulator perhaps?  Sounds electrical to me (bad ground crosses my mind), not like fuel starvation.  Does it cut out with it on a stand, or only in gear?  Some bikes have a gear sensor that is 'enabled' when youre in gear....perhaps its giving up the ghost.

Electricity is not my forte, but the manual should tell you what voltage and resistance readings you should be getting from each component. 

You say this is random.  When did it start?  what conditions if any led up to your issue (wet riding, dumped it, etc etc)? 

Really noticed it last time I went to the track. Which was 2 rides ago. Only thing I can think of is when I pressure washed it or something. I'm an electrician so imma go for what y'all have been saying on the electrical end of it. I have the competition manual but it doesn't state anything about troubleshooting electrical components. I'm going to strip it down and make sure all the connections and everything on the harness is good. Like I said it's random. It's nothing consistent. Just great to have a group of people on here willing to help! Thanks a lot for the info. I will check it out and let everyone know how it goes!

Well everyone after finding time after work and having a friend to help me test the electronics it seems that's not the problem. So I guess now time to move to the carb. Not looking forward to it because it's such a pain taking on and off but gotta get it right somehow. What route should I take first on the carb? I know y'all said needle and float and stuff. It should I just go ahead and buy a good carb kit or what?!

16 minutes ago, Cslong324 said:

Well everyone after finding time after work and having a friend to help me test the electronics it seems that's not the problem. So I guess now time to move to the carb. Not looking forward to it because it's such a pain taking on and off but gotta get it right somehow. What route should I take first on the carb? I know y'all said needle and float and stuff. It should I just go ahead and buy a good carb kit or what?!

Again, if the jetting you have now worked before, it's NOT jetting problem.

Re-calibrate the TPS per the oem service manual. That should not be your problem, but you should do it anyway.

Your emulsion tube is 8 years old, so if you DO work inside the carb, replace it (needle jet). They wear out.

Your description of 'cutting out' is not a jetting problem, but more likely a spark problem.

I would do the stator test from the oem service manual.  I would also check the plug, cap, high tension, etc.

It is possible that your TPS is also worn out or bad, so test it using a multi meter, to see if when you sweep it, you get a very smooth change in resistance. If it jumps around at all, it's shot and you need to replace it.