Chain rubbing inside case behind sprocket

Sorry for the dirty pic I literally just got done riding.  Anyways I ran the same chain I've been running forever and I snapped 2 master links today somehow,  also the chain is rubbing the inside of the case around the sprocket,  this was just happening today,  never had a problem before , any ideas ? I noticed a tooth broken on front sprocket but that could of been the last time the master link broke

20170805_181028_001.jpg

IMO I've never snapped a master link so figure out why that's happening ASAP. IE you need a complete new drive train installed and adjusted correctly.

Then you MUST have an OEM or aftermarket case saver installed for the front sprocket.

It also looks like the chain is hitting the case in front of the sprocket???

Do you have a front sprocket case saver and I think you answered your own question with the pic of how trashed the front sprocket is  and the comment saying "Anyways I ran the same chain I've been running forever"

Edited by filterx

Does the countershaft have any in and out movement ?

I would say the chain is moving sideways by the condition of the sprocket. Make sure you replace both sprockets and chain. 

Ok just to clear things up , i do have a hammer head case saver.  I just installed new chain and sprockets but the chain I got with the sprockets was garbage compared to my did chain.  So i put it back on and it was in no way clapped out.  The slider bolts are almost all the way in.  I'm guessing maybe the chain was rubbing And wore through the rivets on the master link.  Just a guess. Not sure never had a problem like this before. I properly maintain my bike and it was adjusted correctly I do 3 fingers behind the slider while sitting on it.  

3 minutes ago, fredgreen said:

I would say the chain is moving sideways by the condition of the sprocket. Make sure you replace both sprockets and chain. 

So maybe the broken tooth is causing it to rub?  just noticed it when I was looking at the end of the day.  Just wanna make sure it's not the type of chain I was running or something 

I'll check for sprocket area play sometime tonight 

No play in sprocket area.  Are the front sprockets side specific?  I noticed a ridge on one side and flat on the other 

45 minutes ago, Mghonda said:

No play in sprocket area.  Are the front sprockets side specific?  I noticed a ridge on one side and flat on the other 

Yes and off hand don't remember the ID for it BUT if you look at the sprocket vertically you should be able to tell which way is furtherest away from the inner case when installed.

Then to double check, once the chain/sprocket is installed, look down the chain from the back to see how close it is to the case

I was a bit drunk yesterday and missed the wear on the inner case but it looks like there are  metal shavings in front of the sprocket on the case, hence why I asked about the case saver.

Anyway I always replace both sprockets and chain at the same time and have a good check and adjust as need before the first few rides on the new set-up.

Good luck

4 hours ago, filterx said:

Yes and off hand don't remember the ID for it BUT if you look at the sprocket vertically you should be able to tell which way is furtherest away from the inner case when installed.

Then to double check, once the chain/sprocket is installed, look down the chain from the back to see how close it is to the case

I was a bit drunk yesterday and missed the wear on the inner case but it looks like there are  metal shavings in front of the sprocket on the case, hence why I asked about the case saver.

Anyway I always replace both sprockets and chain at the same time and have a good check and adjust as need before the first few rides on the new set-up.

Good luck

Honda sprockets are mounted so the teeth are closest to the case, not farther away. The chain being used is likely a wide o-ring chain and is so wide it rubs the case. What chain is it, exactly?

19 hours ago, Eddie8v said:

Honda sprockets are mounted so the teeth are closest to the case, not farther away. The chain being used is likely a wide o-ring chain and is so wide it rubs the case. What chain is it, exactly?

I stand to be corrected cus its been quite awhile since I've needed to replace my drive train.

On 8/6/2017 at 5:37 PM, Eddie8v said:

It is a did o ring chain. 

It is a did o ring chain. 

Standard o-ring chain is the reason it's rubbing the case

Ive never heard of an o-ring chain being an issue for rubbing on the case before. Most harescramble riders I know run them.

it was adjusted correctly I do 3 fingers behind the slider while sitting on it.  

Way too much slack.  Should be three fingers max with the rear wheel unloaded (bike on the stand). 

Edited by mossman77
4 hours ago, yzmxer12 said:

Ive never heard of an o-ring chain being an issue for rubbing on the case before. Most harescramble riders I know run them.

Honda CRFs and CRs have had issues with standard o-ring chains rubbing against the case! That's why one should run a DID narrow o-ring chain or a very thin spacer inorder to run a standard o-ring chain

14 hours ago, mv7000 said:

Honda CRFs and CRs have had issues with standard o-ring chains rubbing against the case! That's why one should run a DID narrow o-ring chain or a very thin spacer inorder to run a standard o-ring chain

I've heard of this issue, however I've always run primary drive O-ring or x-ring chains on my bikes and have had zero issues.  I've got a 2005 and 2014 crf250r.  I have also always mounted the front sprockets with the ridge facing the motor which should mean the teeth are farther away.  Never had a problem

or even a stronger non - oring chain if they exist.

IMG_7105.jpg
I run these spacers ,behind the counter shaft sprocket, by Fastway on my 450x to prevent case rub from using standard width o-ring chains.