85 xr600 dies after warmup

Hello. New to the site as a member but have been troubleshooting through y'all for a while. I have an 85 xr600 with fmf powerbomb and powercore 4 exhaust and jetted carbs. The rest is stock. The bike runs great for about 5 min or until it is warmed up after that it's slowly dies. I've ohmed the stator and that read good. When I ohmed the coil to the plug cap it was jumping like crazy and never above 7k. So I went and replaced the coil and it is still having the same issue. I'm not really sure what to do next other than get a new cdi and throw at it. Any suggestions or xr wisdom would be appreciated.

Im confused by your question. I don't think this bike has a regulator. Unless you are talking about the little box under the seat.

Update. I ran the bike until it got warm and tried ohming the stator while it was hot. I got a reading at about 350 oh. I have read here somewhere that a higher oh reading when warm is normal. Is that correct?

Have you done any work to the bike recently, or did this just start happening out of the blue?

I put a full fmf exhaust and the proper jetting for the bike. It runs geat when cold when warm it dies. I will have the new Arrowhead cdi in today and see if that fixes it. If not it looks like I'm upgrading the stator

No disrespect meant to your wrenching skills, but given that the carb has been altered and now there is a problem with the bike running, I would be really looking at the carb again with the possibility of fuel starvation.

I rebuilt my carb over the winter using a full rebuild kit and new jets (Dave's mod) and when I came to start the bike it would start easily when cold but would die if you gave it any gas. Lots of head-scratching later, I finally realized I had installed the Needle Set Jet wrong (installed from the top instead of sandwiched between the emulsion tube and the carb body). Ran great after fixing that dumb move.

Like I said, obvious things first. My money is on fuel at this point....

Edited by davenay67

Thanks for the info I'll definitely look into it if the new cdi doesn't fix it. I never actually changed the needle just up jetted the mains and the pilot so that might be something I have to look at

26 minutes ago, davenay67 said:

No disrespect meant to your wrenching skills, but given that the carb has been altered and now there is a problem with the bike running, I would be really looking at the carb again with the possibility of fuel starvation.

I rebuilt my carb over the winter using a full rebuild kit and new jets (Dave's mod) and when I came to start the bike it would start easily when cold but would die if you gave it any gas. Lots of head-scratching later, I finally realized I had installed the Needle Set Jet wrong (installed from the top instead of sandwiched between the emulsion tube and the carb body). Ran great after fixing that dumb move.

Like I said, obvious things first. My money is on fuel at this point....

Even if it's not the CDI, a spare working CDI is a good thing to have with BRP ownership. :)

On 8/6/2017 at 9:50 AM, Nofatchicks said:

Im confused by your question. I don't think this bike has a regulator. Unless you are talking about the little box under the seat.

xr.png

Well good news is the cdi fixed it 😀 now it's time to order a new uni filter, sprockets chain and rear tire and start shredding these trails.

• Like 2