Craigslist find, 2010 cfr230L

I just found a 2010 crf230L on Craigslist for $550 obo. States there's no title, and that it won't start and don't know why. Looks a little rough but really not bad. KBB shows value at $2800, yes I know that's in excellent shape. I'm just curious if I should shoot him an offer and try to get it back in shape? I'm not really familiar with the 230 models so thought I'd ask here. Thanks

Daniel

Mind to show any photos? If it looks rough then it’s been ridden rough.

My limited experience is that you usually spend more than planned getting a bike back in shape, but is is a good learning experience. If you decide to give it a shot, make sure it has a good seat, plastics, wheels, and forks as they tend to run on the expensive side.

No title often means, if it's not stolen, they defaulted on the loan so you can never get title.  The 230L is a very different bike.

I would never buy a no-title bike unless it was a racebike or dirt only. The CRF230L is not a dirt-only bike, its got a lot of differences for the street, so I personally would pass.

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2010-crf-230l/6251365402.html

16 minutes ago, CRF James said:

My limited experience is that you usually spend more than planned getting a bike back in shape, but is is a good learning experience. If you decide to give it a shot, make sure it has a good seat, plastics, wheels, and forks as they tend to run on the expensive side.

Yeah James, I found all that out with the xr200r I bought. Spent a bunch on it, and finally almost have it ready to go. It has been fun, and an experience working on it. 

11 minutes ago, Baja Rambler said:

No title often means, if it's not stolen, they defaulted on the loan so you can never get title.  The 230L is a very different bike.

This is true as well. If I bought a bike that's taggable, I'd wanna tag it for myself, so that part would sick, and would also suck for resale. "Different", as in? What would be the differences in the 230L, and the 230F? Lighting,  suspension? 

A lot of parts are not interchangeable.  Do some research.  I would steer clear of this.  Better to find a mint 230f and convert to street legal.

• Like 1

Thanks Baja, makes plenty of sense. I just hate seeing things that could be a good deal or potential money maker and passing them up. But at the same time, I don't wanna screw myself and get something I'm stuck with that's gonna cost a ton of money. I could probably part it out and make money. Would have to scrap the frame. Eh I'll pass it up. Thanks for the input. This was also good for learning a bit of the differenceshower between the L and F